New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,408 Valuable Player
edited May 2020 in General

More here - sounds big with HP working together with Valve and Microsoft:

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,408 Valuable Player
    Soon available on Steam? The plot thickens, lol:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,907 Valuable Player
    Seems that Valve may be handing over more of their support to HP than to HTC - as they have ploughed their own path going forward. Now with the off the ear audio, and the new tracking, this will place the new headset in a very competitive position, especially with the CV1 now discontinued, and the issues with the Rift-S. Though I wonder if they will push this new headset in Consumer as hard as they have been working in Enterprise?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,406 Valuable Player
    looks interesting. Probably the previously announced upgrade from HP. Working with Valve could be an interesting partnership in how it leverages against the Index.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    looks interesting. Probably the previously announced upgrade from HP. Working with Valve could be an interesting partnership in how it leverages against the Index.

Really  not sure if its "leverage", the best analogy is like Mercedes working with Ford on sharing licensed tech. There is no real way that the Reverb G3 will compete with the Index unless they can cost reduce this version, and their plans for a Index-Lite have been dealt some really harsh cards in the current climate. This may be a way to generate revenue without having to do the thing they hate so much (manufacturer and support).  The bigger question has to be will HTC be happy to see this and do they have any recourse?
    edited March 2020
    Really interesting to see the specs and price. With so many complaints about Index price I'd be surprised if the price goes beyond $800...

Looks like we're being flooded with Gen2 hmds these days.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,143
    Wintermute
    edited May 2020
    ^^This could turn out to be a kind Index lite, or a index S if you will, meaning unlike a actual WMR HMDs, which have issues if they are not supported by steam vr game, this might be seen by SteamVR as a sort of index lite, and as such the controllers basic functions like the thumbsticks, touchpad and triggers will all work just like they do on the knuckles, hence removing any issues with controller support that the WMR controllers have at present with a lot of steamVR games, and that would be awesome.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,195 Volunteer Moderator
    I've heard that the IPD slider and padding are very similar to the Index's design, and the headphones appear to be off ear Index style. It's still WMR based on Microsoft's participation (and the potential reveal on thursday has two HP staff and an MS guy, nobody from Valve is listed). The controllers have the windows logo on two buttons.

I wonder how much of the 4 camera solution was on HP and how much on MS? Will we see more WMR headsets with 4 cameras?

I like that the controllers have a menu and windows button on each, which should eliminate the issue with the Rift/Quest where only the right controller has the system button, which is a problem for people with limited or no use of the right hand.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • KareshiKareshi Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Some people have their skepticism on these leaks being real as they note the controllers look too similar to the Oculus ones, as well as the face buttons looking "exactly like the oculus ones".
    I'm excited so I want to believe this leak, but we'll hopefully find out next week. 
    The most interesting stuff may be res and fov, sound does look like Index speakers. Controllers look ok, if these are real, battery time will be interesting - and tracking.

Art3mis
    Doesn't the Gen1 Reverb have 2160*2160 per eye? I haven't experienced such high res before, but seeing others reaction, I think it's perfect for a VR for now. I do hope they do something like 130FOV which someone on reddit who "leaked the specs" said, but also have better lenses with bigger sweets pot.

Anyways, here check out the specs posted by the user u/Specspower on reddit:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not under NDA and this can be considered hearsay, however here is what i have overheard to be the true specifications for the new hp reverb G2.

*The new reverb g2 has a 2160x2160 screen, with improved optics and a even sharper image and larger sweet spot then the original reverb. They are fresnel lenses

*Godrays are almost completely gone

*The refresh rate in the windows mixed reality application is maxed at 90hz however in steam it is 144hz

*The headset has the option of using windows mixed reality controllers or knuckles controllers and this may remain in the final unit as a duel option or just become one

*Inside out tracking and base station compatible

*The field of view was estimated at about a true 130 degrees and this is largely achieved by the position of the lenses, they are round but become triangular shaped on the edges towards your nose

*The new reverb g2 has over the ear headphones, with an option for your own headphones using a standard jack and they are testing the idea of including a bluetooth audio solution

*The headstrap is similar to the first reverb

*The padded face mask is a stitched leather and is removable

*The outside shell is some kind of brushed aluminium

*The front has a hp logo that lights up

* The weight is the same or slightly lighter then the original reverb

* The issue of seeing the border edge of the lense in the original reverb is solved

*The lenses are further from the eyes allowing glasses wearers ease of use

*The IPD adjustment is digital but works better then the original reverb

*The cable is roughly 15ft

*The connection is a mini display port and usb

The unit is a hybrid of the original reverb and the valve index, taking the best from both.

edited May 2020
    Could be a true gen3 (ok at least 2.5 then, lol) hmd if that res, Knuckles support and fov are true. 
    Still sounds nearly too good to be true, we'll see. Knuckles + 2 base stations will probably add at least $500 to total costs... 

Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    Could be a true gen3 (ok at least 2.5 then, lol) hmd if that res, Knuckles support and fov are true. 
    Still sounds nearly too good to be true, we'll see. Knuckles + 2 base stations will probably add at least $500 to total costs... 
    After these bullet points, others have pointed out how it contradicts the image leaks, as well as how mini display port can only do 4k 30fps which would go against the 2160x2160 @ possibly 90Hz or more, etc.
    RuneSR2 said:
    After these bullet points, others have pointed out how it contradicts the image leaks, as well as how mini display port can only do 4k 30fps which would go against the 2160x2160 @ possibly 90Hz or more, etc.
    Makes sense - dunno if 4k in 144 Hz is beyond current displayport limits too (HDMI 2.1 needed?). Also using these full specs, G2 would dethrone Index in every way, which might not be in Valve's interest. My guess is that HP wants a solution which isn't much more expensive than G1. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,111 Valuable Player
    How can it have base station support? It doesn't appear to have light sensors on it or the controllers.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,358 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    How can it have base station support? It doesn't appear to have light sensors on it or the controllers.
    Probably like Cosmos, base station support means using Vive wands or Index controllers. The headset could have hidden sensors, or it could still rely on its cameras for headset tracking. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    snowdog said:

Wait and see :)
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Makes sense - dunno if 4k in 144 Hz is beyond current displayport limits too (HDMI 2.1 needed?). Also using these full specs, G2 would dethrone Index in every way, which might not be in Valve's interest. My guess is that HP wants a solution which isn't much more expensive than G1. 
    Exactly, I think as far as Valve goes, considering the image leaks I think it'll be hardware specific like audio, face mask and head strap. Having Light house support would increase the cost of the headset imo. I expect the same res and 90Hz since it's a good middle ground in Hz, but really good in Resolution, we'll have to wait and see. But I expect more WMR 2.0 headsets to be shown next week as some has speculated considering some YTbers are under NDA by another headset that isn't HP.
    Art3mis
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

Wait and see :)
    Now this is interesting, I honestly expect one of these WMR 2.0 HMDs to be minimum $500, we'll see. 
    Wintermute
    edited May 2020
    ^^I will take one for £450 if it has complete steamVR support on par with the Index, so if a game works with the index it will work with this new HMD, and moreso the controllers basic fuctions like thumbstick and buttons, something that held back the present WMR HMDs.
    edited May 2020
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^I will take one for £450 if it has complete steamVR support on par with the Index, so if a game works with the index it will work with this new HMD, and moreso the controllers basic fuctions like thumbstick and buttons, something that held back the present WMR HMDs.
    4k res could be tempting, especially if it works with base stations and Knuckles - but then again, 3 hmds will be too much - one will just end up collecting dust...

I still have one DisplayPort free, but it would probably never work with G2 and Index connected at the same time - that's the great advantage of having Oculus separated from Steam, they don't bother each other and have their own homes and stores, lol. Even if I accidentally start SteamVR while CV1 is fully activated, Index still takes priority. So 2 are nice, 3 would probably be a hassle...   

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,195 Volunteer Moderator
    I run with 3 headsets connected at once: Rift CV1, Rift-S and Quest Link. :)
    That's the great thing about the Oculus software, just click Set As Active next to the one you want to use and it works.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    Agreed, would solve all my worries if Valve did the same. Can't be hard with a Steam switch for choosing the active hmd... But if 2% of Steam users have a hmd connected, then maybe 0.001% have two, lol. 

Wintermute
    edited May 2020
    I would just ditch the Dell and Vive and replace it with this one, assuming it was basically supported on steamVr as a index lite or S, but i would have to keep the CV1 because i have bought software on the Oculus platform and revive seems to be working with less and less these days, just found out Stern pinball no longer will works via it, i don't know if this is steam or oculus causing this, but it looked great on the Dell because of the 1440x1440 res, and i bought all the tables back in the day. :(
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,111 Valuable Player
    I can't see a 2K headset being $450, probably more likely to be $600 I think. How much is the Reverb?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,406 Valuable Player
    Yeh definitely on my list of upgrade from the original reverb.  I think they retailed at $649 for enterprise version and $579 home version iirc.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Art3mis
    edited May 2020
    https://twitter.com/ZbyHP/status/1264957464258248705 more teases, keep an eye on the details of the video, they look just like the leaked images, so
  • MradrMradr Posts: 4,179 Valuable Player
    edited May 2020
    In a way it feels like a step backwards to what Oculus is offering for the same type of tracking - 4 vs 5 cameras. On the other hand - the headset is not that costly and 600-800 is the range I would spend for a higher end headset - so perfect middle ground for hardware/specs I be the most interested in. So far HP has shown in the past it can do VR over coughcosmoscough so looking forward to this release for sure! Also, keep in mind these headsets are just the next step up - I wouldn't call it a generational leap yet. Until we hear more on a number of different specs - I assume its more of a refresh of their current line up as things mature. For example, if the image is true - it looks like they are going for a more stream-line plastic shell vs gen 1 fancy looking shell.

Other things to keep in mind (base off the specs above):
    1) IF they kept the same resolution but up the FOV - that means more pixels are spread across the screen thus lowering the PPD down witch isn't the best idea for screen image quality (something MRTV notice about the StarVR - but didn't directly say it when he compare it to Index). Granted - it was already high before - 16PPD is still much higher than a lot of current headsets.
    2) If the Res didnt increase, that means  the screen it self got the improvements witch is good still - but might still explain a higher cost as the higher the refresh rates - the more cooling and power it takes along with cost.
    3) If they do increase the Res - it also means it will take a larger video card as there is no offset technology like FOVA at play.
    4) If they did go digital IDP that means they switch to a single display vs dual displays for each eye. Lowering the cost, but removing feature as we see with other VR products.
    5) Increase FOV means all games REALLY need a FOV setting option. Even Aylx is missing this feature for headsets that have a higher FOV. Other wise side objects in view will pop in and out. This also puts more demand on the GPU inside of things.
    6) Everything is still a trade off but improving non the less:3

HP Employee
    (Our comments are ours and NOT HP's)
    5 points·16 hours ago
    There are MANY things wrong in his post. :)

kojack said:
    I wonder how much of the 4 camera solution was on HP and how much on MS? Will we see more WMR headsets with 4 cameras?
    I think so if anyone else goes over to WMR - the tracking is done by MS - I would assume something from Samsung is just around the bin as well. The real question is if the other players will come back too or did they get burn off the deal enough last time? I also wonder if this is more of a play for MS in terms of trying to work with one partner to get it right than to have many and be across the board stretch. 

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 973
    Neo
    how exciting.  :)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,721 Valuable Player
    I refuse to get excited, my heart has been broken too many times :) I might go for mild but reluctant hope.