New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb G2 announced - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,888 Valuable Player
edited March 25 in General

More here - sounds big with HP working together with Valve and Microsoft:

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,888 Valuable Player
    Soon available on Steam? The plot thickens, lol:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    Seems that Valve may be handing over more of their support to HP than to HTC - as they have ploughed their own path going forward. Now with the off the ear audio, and the new tracking, this will place the new headset in a very competitive position, especially with the CV1 now discontinued, and the issues with the Rift-S. Though I wonder if they will push this new headset in Consumer as hard as they have been working in Enterprise?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,044 Valuable Player
    looks interesting. Probably the previously announced upgrade from HP. Working with Valve could be an interesting partnership in how it leverages against the Index.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    looks interesting. Probably the previously announced upgrade from HP. Working with Valve could be an interesting partnership in how it leverages against the Index.

Really  not sure if its "leverage", the best analogy is like Mercedes working with Ford on sharing licensed tech. There is no real way that the Reverb G3 will compete with the Index unless they can cost reduce this version, and their plans for a Index-Lite have been dealt some really harsh cards in the current climate. This may be a way to generate revenue without having to do the thing they hate so much (manufacturer and support).  The bigger question has to be will HTC be happy to see this and do they have any recourse?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,888 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    Really interesting to see the specs and price. With so many complaints about Index price I'd be surprised if the price goes beyond $800...

Looks like we're being flooded with Gen2 hmds these days.