New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

High Performance Headroom but not 80 FPS

I use the Oculus rift S for racing simulators such as RF2 , AC, Raceroom or Automobilista.

I noticed when running the debug performance tool that my performance headroom is stable to 100% however I don't get 80 FPS.

My understanding is that my PC ( combo CPU+GPU) has all the resources to run at 80 FPS but the VR struggles?
I disabled ASW 

I own a I7 8700 and RTX 2080 S.

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,173 Valuable Player
    I use the Oculus rift S for racing simulators such as RF2 , AC, Raceroom or Automobilista.

I noticed when running the debug performance tool that my performance headroom is stable to 100% however I don't get 80 FPS.

My understanding is that my PC ( combo CPU+GPU) has all the resources to run at 80 FPS but the VR struggles?
    I disabled ASW 

I own a I7 8700 and RTX 2080 S.

Depends more on the game itself.
    I do flight sims, and can not maintain 80 fps at all times with them, and I have a very beefy rig.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Remmer_GRemmer_G Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I think there's something else going on. I play Onward which puts ridiculous demands on the GPU and recently I'm seeing 99% headroom instead of the usual near 0%. Performance certainly hasn't improved, so there's something wrong with the debug tool. IMO.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 369
    Trinity
    edited March 25
    @Ciccina2016 i have the same cpu + gpu (OC'd). I would suggest that limit Nvidia's FPS from the Nvidia Control Panel to the 80 FPS (3d settings->program settings-> max frame rate). It might do the trick as the GPU wouldn't have to render faster than that for the 80 Hz screens. At least this helped on The Thrill Of The Fight, where the fps didn't get even to 80 fps on Rift, before i limited the fps to 90 from the Nvidia settings (Og Rift has 90 Hz screens). Edit: Performed as a issue after the program version 14.
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • Ciccina2016Ciccina2016 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited March 27
    Hello @Netheri , I tried and nothing changed.
    I think it also very important defining the test to run to evaluate the performance of your Oculus Rift.
    I was bechmarking the VR settings by running a single race with 21 AI cars and shortly realized that running instead a multiplayer race would give a differente set of results.
    By running 21 cars the CPU is used heavily to manage the AI and my Oculus Rift S struggles ( although 100% in performance headroom) . I think that indicator is quite confusing.
    The challenge here is to set VR parameters that give a good experience in all possible combination of race and track.
    I think that testing with an offline race is not best choice .
    Tonight I will try to reduce the resolution on the lens and see if I get any benefit from it.