New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 15.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 247 Oculus Staff
edited 11:03AM in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Update 4/1/2020: Hey folks - We've seen positive results from the hotfix we rolled out on Monday. As a result, we'll be continuing the v15 rollout today, making this software update available to a larger percentage of users. Please note that the update is still not available to everyone at this time, but we're making additional progress towards that goal. As always, thanks for your patience and understanding!

As a reminder, if you are encountering any new or unexpected issues after receiving the latest software update, please be sure to contact Oculus Support for assistance. Thanks!

Update 3/30/2020: 
Hi all - hope everyone had a good weekend! Today, users who received the v15 update last week should see a new software update. This build is a hotifx for those bugs that were discovered during rollout: one bug that sometimes prevented apps with large amounts of DLC from downloading correctly and another bug that sometimes caused a system software crash. We will be monitoring to ensure that these bugs have been fully resolved for users who receive the update before continuing to rollout the v15 software to everyone. Thanks again for your patience throughout this process!

Update 3/27/2020: 
Hey folks - jumping in to provide a quick update on the v15 rollout. The team discovered a couple bugs during the rollout that has caused a slight delay in getting it out to everyone. We're currently working to get fixes in and get those fixes tested. As soon as everything looks good again, we'll resume the rollout. If you're anxious to get on v15, you can opt into the PTC. I'll be sure to provide another update early next week. As always, thanks for your patience!

All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of March 23, 2020.

Oculus Link

• You are now able to test your connection during Oculus Link setup. Clicking the Test Cable button will tell you whether or not your connection is compatible, what the available bandwidth is, and what the connection type is. You can access Link setup by selecting Quest and Touch from the Devices menu when your headset is hooked up to your PC.
  • Important note: The Test Cable functionality requires your Quest headset is on software version 15 as well.
Chats
  • Updated icons and labeling to improve consistency and add additional clarity to what what each button does
  • Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the ‘Start Chat’ button to move locations
Miscellaneous
  • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,438
    Project 2501
    I'm not normally a conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat kind of person, but I just realised that we're starting to call this build "PC Software Build" rather than "Rift and Rift S Build".

Is this foreshadowing the demise of PCVR Rifts from Oculus while the software lives on to drive Quest with "Link"?
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• bowman9991bowman9991 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    These updates make no sense. Is this for the Rift S? If so, why are they listing Oculus Link as an update? And what about the new main menu UI and social features? Are Rift devices not getting this? Why not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this changelog appears mostly to be a mistake? Have I missed something?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,187 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    These updates make no sense. Is this for the Rift S? If so, why are they listing Oculus Link as an update? And what about the new main menu UI and social features? Are Rift devices not getting this? Why not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this changelog appears mostly to be a mistake? Have I missed something?
    Oculus Link uses the same software as Rift S. 
    Obviously version 15 seems to be more focused on Link.
    But yes it is for both Quest and Rift S/CV1.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • bitziebitzie Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:
    I'm not normally a conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat kind of person, but I just realised that we're starting to call this build "PC Software Build" rather than "Rift and Rift S Build".

Is this foreshadowing the demise of PCVR Rifts from Oculus while the software lives on to drive Quest with "Link"?

So renaming to "PC Software Build" signals the demise of PCVR? What? I get that removing the "Rift and Rift S" part might get people's panties in a bunch, but it sounds far more like they're just consolidating the Quest into the build, therefore alleviating any confusion about what PC software the different headsets use.
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    bitzie said:
    Richooal said:

So renaming to "PC Software Build" signals the demise of PCVR? What? I get that removing the "Rift and Rift S" part might get people's panties in a bunch, but it sounds far more like they're just consolidating the Quest into the build, therefore alleviating any confusion about what PC software the different headsets use.
    The Oculus PC software uses Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest as the display hardware. The name change reflects that there are three devices that utilize the software to play games. People were more confused when it said Rift, because they would say "is this for the S?", or "is this for both?"

However, it is clear that the future of VR is without cables. There is no way that there will ever be another Rift product with a cable. They may release a wireless version that uses your PC, but the future is not Rift. It may not be Quest either, but it will be wireless or self-contained.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
    edited March 25
    bitzie said:
    Richooal said:

The Oculus PC software uses Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest as the display hardware. The name change reflects that there are three devices that utilize the software to play games. People were more confused when it said Rift, because they would say "is this for the S?", or "is this for both?"

However, it is clear that the future of VR is without cables. There is no way that there will ever be another Rift product with a cable. They may release a wireless version that uses your PC, but the future is not Rift. It may not be Quest either, but it will be wireless or self-contained.
    Oh I think Oculus will continue to work on and improve the Link functionality of the Quest.
    I am sure it will be included with the next Quest maybe along with wireless as well, depending on when it might come to fruition.
    Rift though may be no more, time will tell.

After all neither the Quest nor the Rift S is quite a year old yet.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    dburne said:
    bitzie said:
    Richooal said:

Oh I think Oculus will continue to work on and improve the Link functionality of the Quest.
    I am sure it will be included with the next Quest maybe along with wireless as well, depending on when it might come to fruition.
    Rift though may be no more, time will tell.

After all neither the Quest nor the Rift S is quite a year old yet.
    I definitely agree that they will keep improving support for those, and I have been grateful that my 2 Rift CV1s are still completely serviceable units. I also bought a Quest to get slightly better quality and inside out capabilities. 

On the one hand, I always hope that my existing hardware will continue to be acceptable for as long as possible, but on the other am looking forward to new hardware.

My point was that when new hardware is announced there won't be a tethered "Rift 2". Maybe there will be a "Quest 2" with a more powerful GPU, or more likely a "Quest 2" with built-in wireless streaming from the PC.

Given that the data requirements of the Link are fairly modest, it would not be inconceivable to make a UBS 3 streaming dongle that would stream directly to a "Quest 2" or even to a Quest with a dongle on it.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
    Project 2501
    bitzie said:

So renaming to "PC Software Build" signals the demise of PCVR?

I didn't say that. Please don't change the meaning and then quote it incorrectly. What you wrote is a statement.

What I wrote was a question........
    "Is this foreshadowing.........?"

• bug.rogersbug.rogers Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited March 28
    My Rift s doesn't work anymore since 15.0
    The day before it was fine. Ok, on bad days I had to reboot and replug before I could play continiously, but now the software says every connection is green, the Rift shows the white light but there's no image. The screen is working, but black. The headtracking works, 'cause I could open Pistol Whip, move the rift and see it on the monitor but there was no touch control/tracking. After a while the Rift turns red again and the software says either my usb or my display port is not working. Oh man... They should concentrate on the rift. For months it's like that. Sometime the rift runs great and then comes the next update. I am an expert now on usb power settings, grafiks settings, driver updates, windows updates, Ram speed and whatever... But the problem is Oculus. They don't get it fixed. I don't care about the quest link thing. I own the quest, but there are no cables. Of course, now that the rift doen's work, I'd like to own one, usb c to usb c, in 5m. The 3rd party confirmed ones are sold out and Oculus is out of stock since weeks.
    At least they could give us the possibility to switch back to the previous version of the software if the new version isn't working.
    Update:
    I opened the Oculus software a few times everyday since tuesday when I got the update, 'cause I hoped for a patch. The problem remained. Strangely today I tried again and now it works. I don't know why. but it does.
    So... Jipiiiyay
    Folks have been asking for a roll back option for like 4 years now. For whatever reason, I don't think it is going to happen.
    Don

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 483
    Trinity
    edited March 27
    Richooal said:

It's been that way since the version numbers were revised to parallel the mobile software (1.43 --> v12).

It is surprising much of the new functionality is going towards Quest, while users are constantly on reddit complaining of the same issues going on for months with their Rift S.
    Hopefully the PC software side get some much needed love. I'm fine that Quest is getting PC abilities, but that shouldn't come at the expense of addressing Rift and Rift S support.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    Folks have been asking for a roll back option for like 4 years now. For whatever reason, I don't think it is going to happen.
    Of course not. PTC was the compromise, I still remember the dreaded January 2017 update that bricked nearly 50% of headsets with poor tracking.

But I hope ppl in the PTC are actively reporting back any bugs they have. I myself am always opted into it and reporting whatever bugs I encounter (but we shouldn't need to do this time and time again)

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 247 Oculus Staff
    Hey folks - jumping in to provide a quick update on the v15 rollout. The team discovered a couple bugs during the rollout that has caused a slight delay in getting it out to everyone. We're currently working to get fixes in and get those fixes tested. As soon as everything looks good again, we'll resume the rollout. If you're anxious to get on v15, you can opt into the PTC. I'll be sure to provide another update early next week. As always, thanks for your patience!
    Project 2501
    ShocksVR said:
    Richooal said:

It's been that way since the version numbers were revised to parallel the mobile software (1.43 --> v12).

Not true. If you look at the previous threads for roll outs you will see...............

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes
    Rift S and Rift Build 13.0 Release Notes
    Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes
    then

Trinity
    Richooal said:
    ShocksVR said:
    Richooal said:

Not true. If you look at the previous threads for roll outs you will see...............

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes
    Rift S and Rift Build 13.0 Release Notes
    Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes
    then

Ya, sorry. I should have clarified. I was responding to this part of your reply:

But hey, we're nit picking anyways.

Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    New update, same old problems. They still haven't fixed the now admitted stuttering/frame drop problems introduced in version 12. My Rift hasn't been usable for 4 months. The guy in my support ticket has been telling me for 3 months to just wait for this issue to be fixed in the next update. Oculus is a complete joke.
    Oculus Rift S (V 15 Driver), CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • tatuntstatunts Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Please Oculus! Please fix those issues, I love your product but you are letting us Rift S users down. Thanks.
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 247 Oculus Staff
    Hi all - hope everyone had a good weekend! Today, users who received the v15 update last week should see a new software update. This build is a hotifx for those bugs that were discovered during rollout: one bug that sometimes prevented apps with large amounts of DLC from downloading correctly and another bug that sometimes caused a system software crash. We will be monitoring to ensure that these bugs have been fully resolved for users who receive the update before continuing to rollout the v15 software to everyone. Thanks again for your patience throughout this process!
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the update. Any chance on taking a look at the performance issues many of us are having since version 13 and up? This is a massive let down and compromising the entire experience for us affected by it.
    Project 2501
    I thought for a little while that suddenly us Rift/Rift S users were starting to get serious Release Notes. I looked at the "What's New" text for my latest "update" and saw for the first time, a great big long list of stuff.

Then I realised it was just a copy/paste of the Quest/GO V15 Release notes from 8 days ago. It seems like it's going to be one release to rule them all very soon.

NerveGear
    edited March 30
    Looks like Oculus is phasing out the Rift S the way they post change logs and lack of interest on solving problems for us users. I really hope that I’m wrong... The S is a great device with very capable HW. Please Oculus, I can sent to you dozens of issues and problems S users are facing for weeks now, don’t let us down!

Also, I'm not sure this “radio silence” is due to the Windows update 2004 that comes with a big improvement on GPU and CPU resources management. Too bad it was delayed for now. 
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    What a hell you doing??? Why all updates only for Quest link ???((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    Have you forgotten that our main PC helmet is Oculus Rift ??? !!! :#
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    How to disable downloads oculus-worlds contents? I use homeless only and everytime oculus update everytime,which I do not need! :#
    huliqan said:
    How to disable downloads oculus-worlds contents? I use homeless only and everytime oculus update everytime,which I do not need! :#
    You don't.
    Don

• Pivot2163Pivot2163 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It's really odd how fast Oculus outdates their equipment. The Rift didn't last long at all now the S is going by the wayside for the Quest. I sure hate to think how much money people have spent only to have the developer decide it's no longer worth their while to provide support for something they were paid for. Even PC's have a general shelf life of 5-10 years..
    Trinity
    Pivot2163 said:
    It's really odd how fast Oculus outdates their equipment. The Rift didn't last long at all now the S is going by the wayside for the Quest. I sure hate to think how much money people have spent only to have the developer decide it's no longer worth their while to provide support for something they were paid for. Even PC's have a general shelf life of 5-10 years..
    IMO, the working lifespan of a VR headset is about ~ 3 years. This was the case for the Rift CV1, and will probably be the case for Quest and Rift S. 3 years is a pretty good amount of time when it comes to consumer technology.
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    ShocksVR said:
    Pivot2163 said:
    IMO, the working lifespan of a VR headset is about ~ 3 years. This was the case for the Rift CV1, and will probably be the case for Quest and Rift S. 3 years is a pretty good amount of time when it comes to consumer technology.
    Working being the operative term there, problem is that it hasn’t been working for many of us since about December. I lost 30-40% performance then and it’s just stayed like that. I submitted tickets, posted here, submitted feedback and still nothing, many have given up. 
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
    NerveGear
    ShocksVR said:
    Pivot2163 said:
    Working being the operative term there, problem is that it hasn’t been working for many of us since about December. I lost 30-40% performance then and it’s just stayed like that. I submitted tickets, posted here, submitted feedback and still nothing, many have given up. 
    Yes, this is really sad... I've submitted tickets as well, here is their response:

"I see you are looking for information on why you FPS is dropping when you are playing games through Steam.

While we do not discourage people from using our headsets in ways that go beyond the Oculus store, we only be able to troubleshoot issues that occur while running the software that was downloaded from the Oculus store.

If you could try running a game that was downloaded from the Oculus store and let me know if the issue persists. If you are not getting the same experience when using a Oculus related game, then you will need to contact Steam for assistance on why the games frame rate is dropping."

Does anyone here really buys Oculus HW to play exclusively on their store? haha

Anyways, I hope they can fix those problems soon...

• SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    tatunts said:

If you could try running a game that was downloaded from the Oculus store and let me know if the issue persists. If you are not getting the same experience when using a Oculus related game, then you will need to contact Steam for assistance on why the games frame rate is dropping."

This is a generic reply either copy pasted by someone who doesn’t care or written by the stupidest examples of human beings in existence. I have received the same reply as well. 

If you go and purchase an Oculus store product what exactly do you compare it’s performance agains? Without being able to roll back to previous versions of Oculus software you have NOTHING TO COMPARE THE PERFORMANCE AGAINS!!! I buy something and see how it runs today, how do I know how it ran before these updates, did it run better before? Worse? Someone from Oculus please explain how we are suppose to know if something has lost performance now compared to before. 

How can you hand ball something as Steams issue? The software still uses the Oculus runtime, we aren’t running stuff in Steam VR mode here. 

If something worked fine, then Oculus “updated” the software and it stopped working, blaming it on a third party must be borderline defamation.
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
  • KentobiKentobi Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    Steam VR changes pretty rapidly as well, though they’re working hard on making Oculus support as easy as possible. I recommend opting in to the Steam VR beta - it seems like they’ve rolled more oculus fixes there.