New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Is Building a 'Next-Gen' VR Headset with Valve and Microsoft

wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 168
Art3mis
Seeing as Oculus doesn't appear to be working on a next-gen PC headset I think this is great news.


Comments

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,011 Valuable Player
    This is cool, since currently nobody has made a true next gen VR Headset. I do agree with the statement in that article that the Reverb currently holds the standard when it comes to assessing the HMD in isolation. The Reverb is quickly become the widely accepted "best VR HMD."

    That being said, I do believe that the overall gold standard for a VR KIT, and overall VR Experience, belongs to any HMD that provides:
    • Tetherless Roomscale
    • Controller-less Hand-Tracking
    Currently, Oculus is the only Vendor offering this. Albeit experimental with the Controller-less Hand-Tracking in its current state.

    So... I hope that this new HMD being worked on by the group builds upon the features found in Quest and Rift-S.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player


    The HP Reverb has become the de facto replacement to the CV1 in many Enterprise developers and researchers minds. The surprise suspension of the CV1 in favor of the Rift-S came to many institutions without warning, and to be frank the design features of the Reverb have been more acceptable than the Lenovo platform, (no matter the reasoning behind the comprises made). 

    Many of us were surprised how much the Reverb represented what we would have envisaged a Rift 1.2 would have looked and operated like, if the original management had survived, (their similarity reflected in the image above) Though the limitations of the tracking and the controllers to live up to the high benchmarks of the CV1 have been the only main issues to dampen the response to the HP platform. 

    That the tracking, controllers and software portal issues are now to be addressed with the Reverb G2, places this system on a high interest rate for many in our sector, especially considering the level of support that HP has given B2B compared to others. Also with the "issues" surrounding what HTC's actual plans with the Cosmos Elite - the Reverb G2 offers a strong fall back against the high price and limited supply of the Valve Index (and now includes Valve support).

    It feels as if the news of the Reverb G2 could be the only chance the PCVR scene may see for a real CV2 solution any time soon?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,952 Valuable Player
    "That the tracking, controllers and software portal issues are now to be addressed with the Reverb G2,"

    That remains to be seen.  From the short video i saw it looked like there were 2 cameras on the front which isn't ideal.  Do we have any more information on tracking?
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,638 Valuable Player
    Yea if this has better tracking than 2 camera WMR I'm excited. I'd love to see Microsoft advance their WMR tech to be closer to or better than Insight which has been much better. I know Microsoft isn't making any money with their VR headsets though and it's probably why we haven't seen a follow up yet.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea if this has better tracking than 2 camera WMR I'm excited. I'd love to see Microsoft advance their WMR tech to be closer to or better than Insight which has been much better. I know Microsoft isn't making any money with their VR headsets though and it's probably why we haven't seen a follow up yet.

    While MS may not have seen major success, the platform had some winners - along with HP, Samsung saw a good take up for their Odyssey and Odyssey+ headsets, the majority of sales on those platforms (with Acer and Lenovo following behind). The thing to remember about the WMR platform was it was a development environment, as MS hoped to establish a architecture - for them it was a long game play. That future headsets from HP, HTC and Lenovo still incorporate elements of WMR is a win in their minds against the cul-de-sac that the CV1 found itself in. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,187 Valuable Player
    I will take the Oculus cul-de-sac any day over WMR and Steam VR. So many issues I see reported across various forums with the latter.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,638 Valuable Player
    Never had any problems with SteamVR personally (With Non-Oculus HMD's anyway, or at least nothing more than I've had with Home) and it has some nice features that I like that Home doesn't. Both work great for me and I'm open to headsets on either. I'm already using a WMR headset and SteamVR with the Odyssey so yea.

    If Oculus puts out a true CV2 I'll be hard pressed not to buy it. I think more likely we'll get a Quest 2 though. That may not be a bad thing if they improve the link functionality.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea if this has better tracking than 2 camera WMR I'm excited. I'd love to see Microsoft advance their WMR tech to be closer to or better than Insight which has been much better. I know Microsoft isn't making any money with their VR headsets though and it's probably why we haven't seen a follow up yet.

    I think it was also mentioned that the HP Reverb G2, might also use Valves Base stations. Not sure if I'm right about that but I thought I read it somewhere. So using inside out tracking or having an option to use Valves base stations would be a dream come true. I'm already loving my HP Reverb, so this is great news. 

    Oculus need to announce something soon to keep me interested.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    dburne said:
    I will take the Oculus cul-de-sac any day over WMR and Steam VR. So many issues I see reported across various forums with the latter.

    Problem is Oculus haven't announced anything new in the making yet, so you will be stuck with what you've got for how long?
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    RedRizla said:
    .....
    Problem is Oculus haven't announced anything new in the making yet, so you will be stuck with what you've got for how long?

    I think some posters may see the term cul-de-sac as a dig that was not intended. I did not want to use the phrase "Dead End" as that would not come across well. But we have to face the fact that for the medium term (if not longer with the current situation) there is no real true successor to what was achieved with the CV1 - the great audio, tracking and performance were not improved upon with the Rift-S, and while I know there are many out there quite happy with their Rift-S experience, there is more than enough that can point to the issues and limitations over its predecessor that it supersedes.

    There is also the issue of trailing new hardware to replace the CV1 that never makes it to production, Half-Dome 1,2 and now 3 are interesting exercises in development and research but have not amounted to a system, and it looks like most of their developments will be employed in a Quest updated platform than a PCVR solution. Though, if the Link cable approach is acceptable to the PCVR community, the need for a CV2 may be a moot point. 

    I suppose on consolation to the CV1 community is that many of the developers that were working on Half Dome no work for MS in their WINMR labs - so the Reverb G2 will benefit there!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,187 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    dburne said:
    I will take the Oculus cul-de-sac any day over WMR and Steam VR. So many issues I see reported across various forums with the latter.

    Problem is Oculus haven't announced anything new in the making yet, so you will be stuck with what you've got for how long?
    That's ok I am fairly patient, my Rift S and Quest can last me some time longer.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 284
    Nexus 6
    RedRizla said:

    I think it was also mentioned that the HP Reverb G2, might also use Valves Base stations. Not sure if I'm right about that but I thought I read it somewhere. So using inside out tracking or having an option to use Valves base stations would be a dream come true. I'm already loving my HP Reverb, so this is great news. 

    Oculus need to announce something soon to keep me interested.
    Just imaging if G2 will support Oculus CV1 external trackers same time! :D
    That will be killer headset with CV1 Touch controllers!
    Is it possible to glue some IR leds on top of G2? And create some sort of revive software to make G2 look like CV1?

  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 284
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    That being said, I do believe that the overall gold standard for a VR KIT, and overall VR Experience, belongs to any HMD that provides:
    • Tetherless Roomscale
    • Controller-less Hand-Tracking
    ... and small battery to allow less then 8 hour work day ;)
    You will need some "save state and relogin" software so you could just take a new charged Quest device and switch to the same work "desktop" (3D environment) you were on prev device to be able to use it for work.

  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 284
    Nexus 6
    kevinw729 said:

    There is also the issue of trailing new hardware to replace the CV1 that never makes it to production, Half-Dome 1,2 and now 3 are interesting exercises in development and research but have not amounted to a system, and it looks like most of their developments will be employed in a Quest updated platform than a PCVR solution.
    What about Abrash predictions? We need more processing power for CV2 to make sense.
    And we see in hardware survey that mainstream is 1060 only.
    So waiting....  hope not so much like we had waited for new hl :D
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,356 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    dburne said:
    I will take the Oculus cul-de-sac any day over WMR and Steam VR. So many issues I see reported across various forums with the latter.

    Problem is Oculus haven't announced anything new in the making yet, so you will be stuck with what you've got for how long?

    2 years I reckon. I'm fine with that.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,356 Valuable Player
    Nekto2 said:
    kevinw729 said:

    There is also the issue of trailing new hardware to replace the CV1 that never makes it to production, Half-Dome 1,2 and now 3 are interesting exercises in development and research but have not amounted to a system, and it looks like most of their developments will be employed in a Quest updated platform than a PCVR solution.
    What about Abrash predictions? We need more processing power for CV2 to make sense.
    And we see in hardware survey that mainstream is 1060 only.
    So waiting....  hope not so much like we had waited for new hl :D

    We won't need that much processing power. A 4K Rift 2 with eye tracking and foveated rendering will be fine running on a machine that's the current Recommended Spec as the new Minimum Spec machine.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,187 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Nekto2 said:
    kevinw729 said:

    There is also the issue of trailing new hardware to replace the CV1 that never makes it to production, Half-Dome 1,2 and now 3 are interesting exercises in development and research but have not amounted to a system, and it looks like most of their developments will be employed in a Quest updated platform than a PCVR solution.
    What about Abrash predictions? We need more processing power for CV2 to make sense.
    And we see in hardware survey that mainstream is 1060 only.
    So waiting....  hope not so much like we had waited for new hl :D

    We won't need that much processing power. A 4K Rift 2 with eye tracking and foveated rendering will be fine running on a machine that's the current Recommended Spec as the new Minimum Spec machine.
    Alllrighttty then.
    Lol.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
Sign In or Register to comment.