New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Access the Passthrough Camera via API

jasteinermanjasteinerman Posts: 8
NerveGear
Itd be great if we could utilize the passthrough camera to create lightweight AR experiences. Even something like having the passthrough camera on as the backdrop while in Oculus Home. This would allow me to have multiple windows open at once (now possible in v15) giving me a seemingly limitless AR desktop experience!
Would also be great to allow developers to access and use the passthrough camera within apps.

Comments

• brayheimbrayheim Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I would be horrified if they ever gave developers access to the entire video contents of my home. 
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 460
    Nexus 6
    I think they are the wrong type of cameras for that application - they are tracking cameras, that's why the picture from them is lousy.
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK x2
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI GTX 1060 (6GB)
    16 GB RAM x2
    1TB HDD x2
    1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Oculus version 15
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,121 Volunteer Moderator
    Unfortunately they won't allow it, as it's a privacy issue. People freak out enough about having cameras on (or around) a headset that only Oculus has access to.
    If we had access to the cameras, it would be possible to do fiducial marker tracking, which would allow multiple Quests to do co-location games using a common coordinate system

For passthrough AR it's better to use a dedicated addon like a Zed Mini (colour stereoscopic cameras that stick to the front of your headset). But it requires a Nvidia GPU to work, so can't run on a Quest.
    (Well, if you had two link cables it would work as a PC headset with AR, the Zed Mini also needs a USB-C cable as long as the headset cable)

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 460
    Nexus 6
    And after all that, the quality would be crap right ?
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK x2
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI GTX 1060 (6GB)
    16 GB RAM x2
    1TB HDD x2
    1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Oculus version 15