New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest: Max. Screen Resolution on Oculus Link

grafngrafn Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hey there,

I'm no pro and relatively new... to the Quest.

But I'm wondering: 

If the Quest has a Display resolution of 1440x1600 per eye. Why can I only use when playing games (e.g. Half Life Alyx) a max. of 1280x720? 

The PC (with a RTX 2070 GPU) does the rendering, not the build-in Snapdragon 835, or am I wrong? Even a 5GB Type-C USB 3.1 cable should support enough bandwidth for 2x1440x1600.

So why am I limited to 1280x720? Plz. happy for info. =)

thx
greets marius

Comments

• KentobiKentobi Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    By my understanding, the process of Link compresses a video on your PC which is upsampled and displayed on the Quest. Even if the resolution was higher on the PC, the detail is slightly lost in the Link compression. It’s less about capacity and more about latency. 
  • Sofian75Sofian75 Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 25
    You can change the resolution in steam VR settings.
    And increase the "encode resolution width" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics using OculusDebugTool.exe. With a RTX 2070 you should be fine with a value of 2912.
  • grafngrafn Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Sofian75 said:
    And increase the "encode resolution width" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics using OculusDebugTool.exe. With a RTX 2070 you should be fine with a value of 2912.
    Thanks for your answers! And pretty much thanks for the encode resolution hint!
    I searched for it and it turns out there's an update to that: 

Value of 2912 will no longer work since V13! Max. encoding res and recommended for RTX 2070+ is 2784.

There is an updated article for it with suggested settings for various GPU set-ups here: "uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/" 

Sry, as a beginner, I'm not allowed to post working links yet =)

cheers!
  • Sofian75Sofian75 Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    grafn said:
    Sofian75 said:
    Thanks for your answers! And pretty much thanks for the encode resolution hint!
    I searched for it and it turns out there's an update to that: 

Value of 2912 will no longer work since V13! Max. encoding res and recommended for RTX 2070+ is 2784.

There is an updated article for it with suggested settings for various GPU set-ups here: "uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/" 

Sry, as a beginner, I'm not allowed to post working links yet =)

cheers!
    No, the limitation to 2784 was due to a bug in V13, it's fixed now so you can use 2912.