New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What do I need to be able to play Half Life?

papaANDlouloupapaANDloulou Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi all, new to the Oculus world but really want to play the new Half Life game. What do I need?  I can’t see it in the store.

Thanks

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,187 Valuable Player
    Half Life Alyx is a Valve game, so you need to get it through Steam.
    You can play it through Steam VR with either your Quest using Oculus Link, or a Rift if you have one.
    You will not be able to play the game on stand alone Quest.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • KentobiKentobi Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    Half Life Alyx is a SteamVR game, so you purchase the game through Steam. To play on a Quest, you also need a compatible USB 3 cable and a  capable PC that meets Alyx’s specifications. It’s not more technically complex than plugging the cable into your Quest and PC, but it can seem like a lot starting from scratch.  Do you own the headset? Do you have a cable? Do you have a good enough PC to run the game?
  • papaANDlouloupapaANDloulou Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Kentobi said: hi, first. Thank you!  

Yes, I have the Headset.  yes I have a pc that will work, no I don’t have a cable but I am sure those are available on Amazon...

thank you. Will set up soon!

Half Life Alyx is a SteamVR game, so you purchase the game through Steam. To play on a Quest, you also need a compatible USB 3 cable and a  capable PC that meets Alyx’s specifications. It’s not more technically complex than plugging the cable into your Quest and PC, but it can seem like a lot starting from scratch.  Do you own the headset? Do you have a cable? Do you have a good enough PC to run the game?

• KentobiKentobi Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    There’s great threads on this forum and elsewhere that discuss cables that work. Make sure you’re getting the right cable - the official cable is best, but it’s expensive and not currently in stock. 
  • MickmanMickman Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm running the official cable .. is best and smooth as compared to others on the market.  fibre optic..  am running Alyx shortly.  on a PC laptop (GTX1070)