New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half Life Alex and Oculus CV1 Resolution

JediFightJediFight Posts: 12
NerveGear
What the highest resolution you can set for the CV1?  Geforce Experience says 1280 x 720 optimal. Can you go higher or is that all? Thanks!

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,889 Valuable Player
    Don't worry about resolution in Alyx - just set Alyx to "Low fidelity", and you'll get the best image quality your rig can handle in 90 fps. The Source engine scales everything including resolution to fit 90 fps on your rig. When choosing "Low Fidelity" you'll automatically be upscaled to "Ultra Fidelity" if your rig can handle it etc. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 372
    Trinity
    @RuneSR2 what if one has set the SS in SteamVR settings for alyx like 150% and sets the in-game to low fidelity? Does the game automatically change the SS option in SteamVR game individual settings?
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,889 Valuable Player
    Netheri said:
    @RuneSR2 what if one has set the SS in SteamVR settings for alyx like 150% and sets the in-game to low fidelity? Does the game automatically change the SS option in SteamVR game individual settings?
    Some dudes on Reddit said that OTT and SteamVR res settings had no effect in Alyx due to the build-in adaptive super sampling.

But it must be easy to test. When I change from Low Fidelity in a demanding location to Ultra Fidelity, the game gets more blurry - trying to maintain 90 fps by lowering res. If you can lock res using SteamVR then the game will not be more blurry going from Low to Ultra, but performance will go down... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"