cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer hardware more important or internet speed?

0moonpearl0
Honored Guest
Hello,
I'm buying an Alienware PC to run my Oculus Quest with the oculus link. However, the wifi in my area is only OK, and I can't run a cable to have a direct data link with the PC. My question is: If I have a super good PC, but only an ok wifi, is that good enough for the VR?
I guess my major concern is: Is the VR device more reliant on the PC hardware, or more on the internet speed? I'm not sure which one weights more towards the overall VR experience.
Please let me know.
Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

kojack
MVP
MVP
If you can't run a cable to the PC, then you can't use oculus link (since it's a cable to the PC).
You can do it with Virtual Desktop or ALVR though, they do streaming over WIFI to the Quest.
In the latter case, internet speed only affects how long a game takes to install on the PC. The Virtual Desktop / ALVR is affected by the WIFI speed, but just locally, not connecting to the internet.
If you have good WIFI but bad internet, it should be fine.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

0moonpearl0
Honored Guest

kojack said:

If you can't run a cable to the PC, then you can't use oculus link (since it's a cable to the PC).
You can do it with Virtual Desktop or ALVR though, they do streaming over WIFI to the Quest.
In the latter case, internet speed only affects how long a game takes to install on the PC. The Virtual Desktop / ALVR is affected by the WIFI speed, but just locally, not connecting to the internet.
If you have good WIFI but bad internet, it should be fine.

Thank you for your reply! However, there are a few clarifications I want to ask. 
First, I can run the oculus link cable to the PC, which has a USB-C slot. It's the "internet" cable that I cannot run to the PC, so the PC will have to rely on Wifi internet, which won't be as fast compared to running a direct internet cable to the PC. However, the Alienware PC has really good processor, graphics, etc. Thus, with the Oculus Quest (with link) plugged into the PC, will the gaming experience be more affected by the internet speed (which I'm at a disadvantage), or more affected by the PC processing and graphics component (which I'm at an advantage). 
I'm afraid that Oculus only cares about internet speed and less on PC hardware, which would suck to spend so much money on buying a super good PC, but with bad internet. 

Looking forward to furthering advice! 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Internet has nothing to do with VR, You have not said (or I have missed it) is which HMD you are getting. 

If your getting a RiftS your good to go, if your getting a Quest and want to play PCVR then you will need the 5M Link cable or a 3rd party solution Again the Internet has no barring on any of this.

The only time the Internet will have any influence is playing multiplayer games or downloading games or playing video from the NET, and thats to same for anything!.

Edit - you are talking quest, but it all still stands !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.