New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest Link recognised as usb 2.0 instead of 3.0

zed85zed85 Posts: 5
Brain Burst
I have an oculus link compatible cable 3.0 
i used to play with this cable without any problem
today i wanted to play half life Alyx i have updated the oculus quest

i can't get oculus link and quest to work anymore i get an error: usb 3.0 is not detected

tried with another laptop same error.. i repeat everything was working before

now in both laptop the 3.0 usb cable is recognised as usb 2.0 can't lunch oculus link anymore.

i have re installed the oculus app and resetted oculus quest to factory settings.. tested on 2 different machine where it was previously working get the same error

any help? thanks

Comments

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 835
    Neo
    Some USB 3.0 cables are fake......  I went though quite a few until I found a brand that worked.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • AnonMomAnonMom Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Same thing happening to me! I know my cable is good, I've used it previously with no issue
    Neo
    AnonMom said:
    Same thing happening to me! I know my cable is good, I've used it previously with no issue
    OK, so post your computer specs including mainboard, GPU Memory and any other relevant info you can think of, the version of windows (including build number) the version of Oculus you are using, and post a link to the exact USB3 cable you are using.

As a side note are any of you running MSI AfterBurner.
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
  • SlyMcNastySlyMcNasty Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have been using Oculus Quest with Party Link Cable fine for months. Both PC and Oculus on Version 14. On Monday I played Half-Life just fine.

In the middle of my gameplay last night the link breaks down and now the PC software thinks all of my USB 3.0 ports are USB 2.0. 

I have tried all forms of rebooting as well as reinstalling the Oculus PC software. I made sure I have not opted into any Beta programs. 

Sidequest still recognizes the quest and can download it to it (although I don't think this requires a 3.0 connection, still, it is evidence that my cable is not broken.)
    Neo
    Sidequest still recognizes the quest and can download it to it (although I don't think this requires a 3.0 connection, still, it is evidence that my cable is not broken.)
    I'm not sure that it is. I can't be sure, but a usb 3 cable will work as usb2, so its feasible that if it is partly damaged it will still work, but at the lower standard. 
  • MakGarettMakGarett Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Hi, I'm having the exact same issue since V15 update. I was able to run it again twice after reinstalling everything, I was able to test my cable using Oculus tool and it said it's ok 1.6Gbps, ran another test it said 1.7Gbps green light ok. Then I've restart my computer next and nothin anymore, it's recognised as USB 2.0 again...
    Did you manage to find a solution ?
    Thanks.
  • MakGarettMakGarett Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Guys if this can help I've made tests using an USB port monitor soft.
    I've tested my Quest, my USB3 to USB-C link compatible cable, another USB3 cable, a Galaxy S10 wich is an USB3 device and USB3 32 Go key.
    Results are my USB3 port works great, my cables works great, Samsung S10 is recognised as a USB 3 device, Oculus Quest is recognised as a USB 2 device. So for me issue is on the Quest itself. My research have shown users having this issue with different cable brand even with the official one and whatever newer or older motherboard on Windows 10 (maybe beaucause of recent updates from Microsoft I don't know). I don't understand why not everybody is concernend for the moment.

S10 (whatever cable I'm using on USB ports) :

Quest (whatever cable I'm using on USB ports) :

• zed85zed85 Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    zed85 said:
    I have an oculus link compatible cable 3.0 
    i used to play with this cable without any problem
    today i wanted to play half life Alyx i have updated the oculus quest

i can't get oculus link and quest to work anymore i get an error: usb 3.0 is not detected

tried with another laptop same error.. i repeat everything was working before

now in both laptop the 3.0 usb cable is recognised as usb 2.0 can't lunch oculus link anymore.

i have re installed the oculus app and resetted oculus quest to factory settings.. tested on 2 different machine where it was previously working get the same error

any help? thanks

i bought i new cable and now everything is working fine.. 
  • B2SlumpB2Slump Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2020
    Having the same issue, about to just buy the $80 cable from Oculus.
  • RawvekRawvek Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I bought the official Link cable from Oculus for the outrageous price they were asking for it. Every time I plug it into a brand new Razer Blade 15, it tells me it sees the Quest 2, and that everything is a'ok. Then as soon as I select "Oculus Link" inside the headset menus, it tells me device is unavailable, or whatever messages it spits out in that situation. I've honestly been just acting like IDGAF about it, mostly because my niece isn't playing any games at the moment that require Link, but for the amount of money I shelled out for a long official USB C cable from Oculus, it kind of gets me in my feelings that I'm having issues getting Link to work with what is supposed to be the best cable you can get, according to Oculus. And I know the laptops specs are more than enough, you know.
  • MapleSchnitzelMapleSchnitzel Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 13
    I am having the same issue I have even tried another quest 2 from my friend. Green check mark on PC. As soon as I select Oculus link in the head set its stops working and it tells me its now plugged into a usb 2.0 port. Pre test tells me my cable is good for 2.7 gb usb 3.0 and after I try running oculus link 345mbs and its usb 2.0