cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Possible Fix for USB 3.0 Issues and Sensor Stutter (Rift S)

Benoui
Honored Guest
Having struggled for weeks to find a solution and being on the brink of returning the Rift S I desperately did this:

I got it to work on a MOBO USB 3.0 port and stuttering has ceased (thus far, I have not yet rebooted or fully updated the Oculus software).

My steps:

1. Unplug almost all other USB devices except mouse and keyboard.

2.1 Uninstall and delete all of Oculus. That means, not just uninstalling the client, but deleting EVERYTHING that relates to Oculus. (purge oculus in all %appdata%
directories, program files and user/document files)

2.2 Uninstall all Oculus and Rift devices and drivers in Device Manager

3. Install the manufacturer's newest USB driver for ASMedia 3.1 Host Controller, instead of the one from Microsoft (this didn't do anything before, so it probably has nothing to do with that).

4. Uninstall all drivers and software engines for HIDs (Any software or driver related to mice, keyboards, and other HIDs). 

5. Restart with Oculus connected in the appropriate USB 3.0 and DP.

6. Put the computer into high performance mode under Power & Sleep Settings.

7 (Optional). Only disable allowing USB device to sleep for the rift port specifically. Disabling USB suspension globally was not necessary, and my hypothesis is that if you do disable it, you're just taxing your system and the environment unnecessarily; me not being an expert, I wouldn't know how the PSU and MB distributes power to the ports in that scenario, so I let the OS suspend the ones not needing constant power.

8. Install Oculus software from scratch. It should be a completely fresh setup. At this point for me, it found every device instantly and nothing ever hung or failed checks.

!! Make sure you keep only mouse and keyboard connected as a bare minimum, other people have also reported this as helping !!

The last thing I was going to try outside of this was to get a dedicated PCI-e USB 3.x card that guarantees enough power to the Rift S, but it would cost me at minimum €40 on top of everything, which should be completely unnecessary for a product that advertises it only needs a basal 3.0 port to Plug N' Play.

It could very well be that Oculus either has a conflict with certain popular HID drivers, or that one of these drivers or ports implicitly caused issues with the Oculus connection in any way, most likely related to power bandwidth? Or there was garbage stored somewhere in the Oculus folders that wasn't repaired or removed, which caused the failing camera and USB issues.

A final note is, I have no idea whether this issue will return after reboot, in a week, or after allowing Oculus to update, but it does work currently and allows fluid play. It certainly is not a good sign for the product that I might have to redo this every time I want to use it. I almost wasted €40 because of your awful software, Oculus. Get your shit together and fix it. Either way, I'd love to hear any insights, and if this worked for you, I'm glad, because I almost went to space over these issues.

Peace
0 REPLIES 0