New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

3rd party cable bandwidth tests

NeilTheNamelessNeilTheNameless Posts: 30
Brain Burst
edited March 30 in Oculus Quest 2 and Quest
Using the new "Test Cable" feature in the Oculus app...

Joto 3m cable:-
  • To motherboard's USB sockets front and back (Asus Z97-A) = 1.8Gbps
  • To Inateck Superspeed PCIe card = 1.5Gbps

UGreen 5m extension + Joto 3m cable:-
  • To Motherboard's USB sockets = 1.6Gbps

note 1: I've heard someone say their 3m AmazonBasics cable gave them 2.3Gbps?
note 2: Using a 90 degree adapter to make cable go nicely down side of Quest makes no difference to speed.
note 3: What real world difference does a 3Gbps result make over say a 1.5Gbps result? Is there any difference in response or graphics quality?

Comments

• leeonlleeonl Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    I got 1.9Gbps with my 5m usb 3rd party cable.Although I can hapyyli link with 1.2super sampling now, I'm still curious about the performance of official cables
  • NeilTheNamelessNeilTheNameless Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    leeonl said:
    ... link with 1.2super sampling now

Sorry, what do you mean by that?
  • ClassicGODClassicGOD Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    leeonl said:
    I got 1.9Gbps with my 5m usb 3rd party cable.Although I can hapyyli link with 1.2super sampling now, I'm still curious about the performance of official cables
    Official Link cable on my PC gets 1.8Gbps, same with all of my higher-end USB 3.0 A-C cables but keep in mind that this bandwidth is most likely limited by Z87 chipset on my motherboard (it is dependent on how mych bandwidth is available and how it's split between ports etc etc) or by Quest itself and I use USB A to C adapter. I have no issues with Link on this configuration so we can assume that anything around this number is just fine. 

To test the real available bandwidth the test should be performed on a current generation motherboard (preferably with Intel USB controller as they seem to be most reliable) after a reboot with only Quest plugged in to USB 3 ports. No adapters, no extenders etc. 
    The advent of computers and the subsequent accumulation of incalculable data has given rise to a new system of memory and thought, parallel to your own. Humanity has underestimated the consequences of computerization.
  • jrrrrrjrrrrr Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited April 1
    I have a little data to contribute. My setup:

• Anker PowerLine 10ft USB-C to USB 3.0
    • ASUS B450-I
    • Ryzen 5 3600

Plugged into the red USB ports on the motherboard (USB 3.1 Gen 2 via the B450 chipset), Test Cable reports:
    Bandwidth 1.8Gbps, Connection: USB 3

Plugged in to the blue USB ports (USB 3.1 Gen 1, I believe routed directly to the processor):
    Bandwidth: 2.3Gbps, Connection: USB 3

Does anyone know if the Oculus Link connection will tune itself based on available bandwidth? Should I expect it to behave differently based on the extra ~500Mbps my better ports provide?
  • DaciceroDacicero Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am also curious "What real world difference does a 3Gbps result make over say a 1.5Gbps result? Is there any difference in graphic quality?" - Note that i do not believe it would have any difference in latency based on what I've read.

The question is, is it worth it to try to get a USB 3.1 Gen 2 working at full 10Gbps?
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 835
    Trinity
    I get 1.7GB/s 
    Using this cable here.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/87405/oculus-link-cable#latest

I have virtually no issues with my setup, just the odd visual glitch in O Home.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • ATP-FloATP-Flo Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    edited April 3
    Using the new "Test Cable" feature in the Oculus app...

Where do I find that feature?
    I don't know where to do this.

Okay found it myself.
    You got to completely setup Link again.
    I thought you could do this later too.

I get 1.7Gbit/s with an 8m cable:
    5m cablecreation extension
    3m JOTO USB-A-to-C Cable
    90° USB-C Adapter

• GraywolvesGraywolves Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    edited April 3
    I have two cables.
    1. USB3.0 AtoA Extender 5M+ AtoC 3M
    2. USB CtoC Extender 1M+ CtoC 3M

No.1 Cables into 
    USB 3.1 Gen2 (z390) 1.8Gbps
    USB 3.1 Gen1 (z390) 1.8Gbps

No.2 Cables into
    Thunderbolt 3 (z390) 1.9Gbps
    Nvidia VirtualLink 2.2Gbps

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    edited April 8
    Just got around to testing this on mine... and my results are pretty odd!

I usually use a passive Ugreen 3 metre extension + 2 metre USB A to C giving me 5 metres total. This is connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 1. I get 1.9 Gbps on this. 

Just for comparison I thought I would try a Cable Matters 1 metre USB C Gen 2 cable rated at 10Gbps, connected to my laptops Thunderbolt / USB C 3.1 Gen 2. The test result was also 1.9 Gbps!

I too would be really interested if someone could post results for the official cable, as it would appear there would be no improvement if I got it? Seen as a 1 metre USB Gen 2 cable is giving me the same results as 5 metres of USB Gen 1 cable A to C cable. 

Link has actually been performing pretty fine with the Ugreen cables I have.  
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,294 Valuable Player
    enigma01 said:
    Just got around to testing this on mine... and my results are pretty odd!

I usually use a passive Ugreen 3 metre extension + 2 metre USB A to C giving me 5 metres total. This is connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 1. I get 1.9 Gbps on this. 

Just for comparison I thought I would try a Cable Matters 1 metre USB C Gen 2 cable rated at 10Gbps, connected to my laptops Thunderbolt / USB C 3.1 Gen 2. The test result was also 1.9 Gbps!

I too would be really interested if someone could post results for the official cable, as it would appear there would be no improvement if I got it? Seen as a 1 metre USB Gen 2 cable is giving me the same results as 5 metres of USB Gen 1 cable A to C cable. 

Link has actually been performing pretty fine with the Ugreen cables I have.  
    I posted earlier my results using the official Oculus Link cable.
    I am getting 2.2 Gbps.
    Have the cable plugged into my motherboard's front panel USB-C header.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    What real world difference does a 3Gbps result make over say a 1.5Gbps result? Is there any difference in response or graphics quality?
    As someone wrote in another thread, that the bandwidt usage of Oculus Link is at around 180Mbit/s, I think its only important that the USB connection is at least version 3 and stable/lagfree.
  • StrongitStrongit Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    Very informative post, I'll throw mine in.  I have the recommended 10ft Anker cable with a cablecreation 16 foot extension cable.  With everything plugged in I get 1.6 gpbs and unplugging the extension cable gets 1.9.  I didn't think to try different ports, this was done with a USB 3 gen 2 port.
  • kyly1982kyly1982 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    cable: sanguan usb3.2 gen1 typc-c to type-c (length 5m)
    motherboard: z390 m gaming (usb3.1 gen2 type-c port)
    test result: 2.7-2.8Gbps

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,343 Valuable Player
    edited November 20
    Wow ok seems my cable is pretty good.

I was worried as whilst I have 3 usb hubs in my pc all are 3.0 and I thought would struggle.

My mobo is Gigabyte gaming x99 5P from 2015 
    Scores on the doors

Rear motherboard usb 3. 2.3 GPS
    PCIE inateck USB3 card.  2.0GPS

But the winner is....... (And this is a boon as it gains me an extra metre of length

Front of case  mounted USB3 2.4 GPS

Cable is currently oos at Amazon UK but the link is below if it comes back. Mine had the booster which is not there right now

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08L1J8VDF?

dethinton Usb to Usb C 5m with booster... Cost £29.59

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear

I bought the cable for less than $17. But I don't know how much it costs to ship to other countries.
    kyly1982 said:

I bought the cable for less than $17. But I don't know how much it costs to ship to other countries.
    The exact same one 5m with booster? If so that is a great price 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear
    kyly1982 said:

The exact same one 5m with booster? If so that is a great price 
    Its length is 5m, usb3.2 gen1 typc-c to type-c
    on my computer, the bandwidth is 2.7-2.8Gbps
    You got a bargain then!