cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Skype or an Oculus update just broke my Rift S headphones?

RadRaw
Honored Guest
Hi,
I bought my Oculus Rift S two months ago. From the beginning, everything worked without any problems. 3 days ago I tried using Skype using my Creative Tactic Rage 3D Wireless headphones. Unfortunately, even after setting my headphones as the default communication device (Windows 10), the sound was played and caught by Rift S goggles! Only the physical DISCONNECTION of the goggles from the computer allowed the use of my headphones as a communication device in Skype.

The next day I reinstalled (reseted) Skype. At the same time - at the same time (which I noticed only later on the VR dashboard) some Rift S software update was carried out.
After this action my goggles stopped functioning properly. The picture was transmitted properly, but the sound was crackling, squeaking and generally - it sounded like it was emitted from under the water (also through headphones plugged into 3,5m jack port on Rift S)!

I reinstalled the Oculus software, disconnected and connected the goggles again - it was the same.

I did it again and the problem Partially resolved. You can listen to the sound without squeaking and clicking, but this time - despite the maximum sound settings - it is emitted quite quietly and ... NO lower frequency sounds are transmitted (I feel that it is about 5% of the sound I heard in goggles just a few days ago).
Earlier I was genuinely delighted with the quality of the headphones built into the Rift S, now playing Beat Saber I can barely hear music that is also - flat as a pancake 😞

Is there any way to force audio drivers reinstall on Rift S?
I don't know if reinstalling the software is synonymous with resetting anything, because after this operation Dashboard not only remembered all my settings but I didn't even have to log in to the software after it was reinstalled 😞
2 REPLIES 2

ItzFlipz
Explorer
Probably an Oculus update.

kojack
MVP
MVP

RadRaw said:

Unfortunately, even after setting my headphones as the default communication device (Windows 10), the sound was played and caught by Rift S goggles!
Skype has its own audio device selection in its settings, where you choose the camera, microphone and speakers to use.
If Skype had decided to select the Rift as output then changing Windows 10 default wouldn't fix it, but unplugging the Rift would make Skype pick another device.

At least that's how it looks, I've never actually tried talking to anybody in Skype, I'm just looking at the settings.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2