New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Native Quest Games/Apps Stuttering Since v15 Update

StrongitStrongit Posts: 78
Hiro Protagonist
edited April 8 in Oculus Quest
Ever since I updated to version 15 of the quest software I have had stuttering and performance issues on all of my games and applications and even in the main menu.  Every few minutes the frame rate drops by half; it's extremely noticeable when using oculus link.  I already submitted a support ticket and they told me to factory reset the device which, surprise surprise, fixed nothing.  Beat saber is now even worse after the reset and nearly unplayable.

Has anyone else had this issue with native quest applications and not just link?  I would hate for it to be a hardware problem.

EDIT: Did more testing with beat saber, I can confirm that the fan does still spin up.  I can hear it by holding my ear up to the bottom of the headset after a long session so it's not a hardware problem in that aspect.  Going to try a few other things.

Comments

• OneJackReacherOneJackReacher Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I've been facing he same problem along with screen tearing and the native apps hang up too. The v15 update really messed up thing this time. Must be software related cause things were working well before the update.
  • KobriKobri Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    I have noticed that framerate goes to hell when guardian pops up, and this wasn't an issue before for sure
  • Mr_PoOLMr_PoOL Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    yeah i noticed the same, best is to go to the pc app, click help centre and provide feedback. I did the same because as long as they don't get tickets for this they won't put resources on this to check it out.
  • m00gie64m00gie64 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same here guys, my unit has just arrived and right from start the update to version 15 was made. I started to think my unit is faulty, but I also notice some occasional stuttering in native apps and main menu when moving head around, which is pretty annoying.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,445 Valuable Player
    I just got my Quest a few days ago.  I also have a Rift cv1 and have lots of games with cross buy.  So far all these seem to work fine and I have not noticed any stuttering.

Still on my original v15 and haven’t got v16 yet btw.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• StrongitStrongit Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Got version 16 and it's only slightly better.  My support ticket in with oculus is now asking me to replace the headset but seeing that @m00gie64 is having the same problems I'm going to stick with a disabled guardian and try enabling it again with every update to see if it's fixed.

I'm using a cheap yoga mat as a physical guardian now as a workaround.
  • m00gie64m00gie64 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Things improved when version 16 rolled out, so my guess it was software issue rather than hardware one. Now the stutter happens very rarely, and mostly depends on poor lighting conditions. 
  • DrSmitsDrSmits Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    v16 here, i cant play any games for more then 10 minutes because the lag is making me dizzy wich causes major motion sickness, hope they fix it soon!
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 14
    Got a replacement oculus quest due to the stuttering and a broken strap and, unsurprisingly, the new one stutters as well.  Back to the floor mat again.  On software version 17.
  • KobriKobri Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    Sorry to hear that mate, thanks for keeping us posted anyway

How long did it take to get the replacement one? I'm still postponing sending mine
    Hiro Protagonist
    Took about three weeks.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I messed around in a bunch of different games and applications and it seems that the issue is no longer related to the guardian.  The performance is the same regardless of whether it's on or off BUT the worst, by far, is vacation simulator.  When playing that game I get frame drops like crazy and can't even go back to the main menu without tracking failures.  The other games I tried like robo recall and beat saber are much more playable although the issues still show up once in a while.

It occurred to me that the issue may be with the lighting.  Over the past two years I've replaced all of the bulbs in my house with LEDs.  That would be the only common thing since the problem shows up regardless of what room I'm in and how much lighting there is.  The main room I play in has philips hue ambiance lights that can change color temperature but all of the others use warm white LED bulbs.

I will try to find some incandescent bulbs to swap out in one room and try this over; they produce the most IR light between the different types of bulbs.  If that's what the problem is there are going to be more issues with tracking going forward.