New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lone echo keeps crashing

Kitkat0981Kitkat0981 Posts: 5
NerveGear
Purchased this game yesterday and keeps crashing.

i have Rift S with i7-9700k with RTX2070 and 32gb ram.

i tried several things in the forums of changing settings and graphics and still keeps crashing. Requested refund says I played more then 2hrs yet I haven’t even done 10% of the game.

for being the most expensive game in the store this is REALLY BAD !

what next?

from what I read the developers are not interested in providing any support.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
    edited April 12
    Try an older video card driver? How far back can you go?

I've completed the game, it never crashed - so it's probably more your rig than the game, and devs can't test all hardware + software combinations.  

Only Alyx is better than Lone Echo, of course it's very high priority getting the game to work - or contact Oculus Support or write a post on Oculus Reddit. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited April 12
    Try 441.87, this driver has been thoroughly tested with Lone Echo and RTX - as it was the very first driver to support VRSS using RTX cards:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156282/en-us

If the game still crashes, try 416.34 which was the first driver to support 2070:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138697/en-us

Yup, it's an old driver, but if it works...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Kitkat0981Kitkat0981 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Ill try that when I get the chance, installed and playing Espire1 now.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    I built my rig in Jan of 2019, and Lone Echo has never run successfully on it.
    Always crashes shortly after it starts. I have many other VR games installed and never had a moments problem out of any of them, only Lone Echo. Asgard's Wrath runs beautifully. Half Life Alyx runs beautifully. Fallout 4 VR runs beautifully. Along with many others including two combat flight sims.

And the Devs don't give a crap either, submitted log file after log file and crash reports, they never even took time to respond to any of them. I gave up and  uninstalled this piece of crap for good a few months ago. And they darn sure won't get any of my money for Lone Echo 2 whenever it does come out. 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited April 12
    Lone Echo is the most amazing VR game, in some aspects even beyond Alyx, but Lone Echo is not a first person shooter. 

Not getting the game to work is a small catastrophe. It seems many have the game working using Revive. Just a long shot, if you install Revive, would you be able to play the game through Steam - or maybe Revive doesn't work on Oculus hmds - I never tried that, but this is indeed an emergency situation.

If none of the above drivers work, could be a fun experiment trying to Revive the game, if that somehow should work. Because Lone Echo works perfectly with the Index - apart from me needing a faster gpu... And I know several RTX users play Lone Echo using the Index.

edited April 12
    The issue is the game running natively with the Rift, which is what it was made for. And there are a few with RTX cards that it will not, and there is zero support on it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited April 13
    dburne said:
    The issue is the game running natively with the Rift, which is what it was made for. And there are a few with RTX cards that it will not, and there is zero support on it.
    I fully agree that Lone Echo should - if possible - be experienced with native Oculus drivers - but if that plan fails, I'd do whatever it takes to get the game running using alternative solutions. Not being able to experience Lone Echo is really close to not being able to experience Alyx. 
    Of course the error may not be caused by drivers - it could be many other programs (Windows, cough) or simply caused by some hardware combinations. It would be interesting if 441.87 or 416.34 work with the game.
    Although it's a crazy thought, it could be fun to see if Revive would work (as the very last solution) - it's right here: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases (only 34MB) - you'll get a new nice round button in SteamVR - of course Revive may not support real Oculus hmds, and I wonder if someone has ever tried that, lol... Who dares wins?

• FlyingantVRFlyingantVR Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited April 29
    I'm getting the same issues so your not the only one, have you found a solution yet ? Rift S with i7-9700k with RTX2080 super and 16gb ram.

I'm getting the same issues so your not the only one, have you found a solution yet ? Rift S with i7-9700k with RTX2080 super and 16gb ram.

Not on my end, I gave up and permanently uninstalled it. Not worth it.
    Zero support or assistance from the Devs. 
    So they burned me once, but won't be burning me again that is for sure.
    Don

• DeadausDeadaus Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    Similar issue with my set-up. i7-8700K OC to 5GHz (stressed tested stable 12hrs), RTX 2070 latest drivers. Seems problems came up when I discovered the Performance Boost mode and enabled it half way through game.. Would play fine for 15 mins or 30 mins then crash. Disabled it recently and no crash yet...
  • FlyingantVRFlyingantVR Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Have been having the same issues and have now found the problem it's fixed it instantly. I have a i7 9700k and it was on turbo boost, l went into the bios set up and changed it back to standard 3.6 Ghz setting and now it runs faultless. I guess it was overloading the game.
  • needleseyemusicneedleseyemusic Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    Have been having the same issues and have now found the problem it's fixed it instantly. I have a i7 9700k and it was on turbo boost, l went into the bios set up and changed it back to standard 3.6 Ghz setting and now it runs faultless. I guess it was overloading the game.
    This seems to have worked for me.  I do wish I did not need to disable turbo boost just to play this game though, it works fine with everything else.  Would increasing voltage to the CPU help stop the crashing, or something similar?
    This seems to have worked for me.  I do wish I did not need to disable turbo boost just to play this game though, it works fine with everything else.  Would increasing voltage to the CPU help stop the crashing, or something similar?
    If that is the case, that is some piss poor coding by the Devs.
    Don

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,180
    Wintermute
    It isn't much help, I suppose, but after reading through this I fired up Lone Echo for the first time in a while, played about 40 minutes without any issue.  So something amiss if it isn't working, but I have no useful input what.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    RattyUK said:
    It isn't much help, I suppose, but after reading through this I fired up Lone Echo for the first time in a while, played about 40 minutes without any issue.  So something amiss if it isn't working, but I have no useful input what.
    From what I have observed it seems to happen more to folks with 20x series of GPU. But who knows really...
    Don

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,180
    Wintermute
    dburne said:
    RattyUK said:
    From what I have observed it seems to happen more to folks with 20x series of GPU. But who knows really...
    2080 Super on my desktop - which I was playing it on after the post too, for a couple more hours...  Another game that siphons time from you unnoticed...  I'm on my way back to playing Jack again a little later, so really should be thanking you for the nudge ;)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    edited May 11
    dburne said:
    RattyUK said:
    Have you tried it wireless with Virtual Desktop.  On the VD compatibility sheet it looks like it works very well.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sfwl2JNVlMykIzMc4We1KiUzAi4VLn3fajwfybc9osk/edit#gid=1213003018
    I can't say I've tried Lone Echo yet because it's kinda expensive down-under (~aud$50).  After hearing Rune go on and on, and on about this, I think I'm going to finally cave-in and buy it, lol!  Should be interesting to see how it works with my Rift cv1, Vive Pro w/Revive (albeit with Vive wands), and Quest wireless w/VD.

Still kinda concerned about dburne's problems though, esp. since I may be upgrading my gtx1080ti later this year.

Also, I'm still not sure if HLA is worth 2x the price of Lone Echo. What the heck, it's only money right, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited May 12
    TomCgcmfc said:
    dburne said:
    RattyUK said:
    Have you tried it wireless with Virtual Desktop.  On the VD compatibility sheet it looks like it works very well.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sfwl2JNVlMykIzMc4We1KiUzAi4VLn3fajwfybc9osk/edit#gid=1213003018
    I can't say I've tried Lone Echo yet because it's kinda expensive down-under (~aud$50).  After hearing Rune go on and on, and on about this, I think I'm going to finally cave-in and buy it, lol!  Should be interesting to see how it works with my Rift cv1, Vive Pro w/Revive (albeit with Vive wands), and Quest wireless w/VD.

Still kinda concerned about dburne's problems though, esp. since I may be upgrading my gtx1080ti later this year.

Also, I'm still not sure if HLA is worth 2x the price of Lone Echo. What the heck, it's only money right, lol!
    No have not tried it wireless, but really do not care to. If the game cannot run for me as designed I am not going to faff about with it any more. Has been a few months since I uninstalled it, may install again just to give another try but I do not hold any hope it will. 
    Btw Alyx is worth every penny imho. Awesome game.
    Don

Well as it has been a while since so I gave Lone Echo one more shot.
    Nadda, zip. Runs for just a very few minutes and then crashes to desktop as always. 
    Only game in my collection that does this. Devs have never been any help whatsoever so am not going to even bother again.

Uninstalling for the last time. And I will certainly not be looking forward to Lone Echo 2.

Don

dburne said:
    Nadda, zip. Runs for just a very few minutes and then crashes to desktop as always. 
    Only game in my collection that does this. Devs have never been any help whatsoever so am not going to even bother again.

Uninstalling for the last time. And I will certainly not be looking forward to Lone Echo 2.

I've been play LE mainly with my Vive Pro but today my wands needed charging so I decided to play with my good old Rift cv1.  Over the course of a couple hours I got 4x shutdowns (bug splats every ~30 minutes, sent reports).  Fortunately these just took me back to my Oculus home.  Kept trying lower settings after each one but this did not seem to make any difference.  Kinda strange, I don't even have an RTX gpu, just a gtx1080ti (stock FE, no OC).  Also have an i9 9900k with mild OC to 5.0Ghz and hyperthreading disabled and 32Gb 3000 ram.  Kinda disappointing....

Also, using an older nvidia driver 442.19 which has proven to be a very stable one for me.

I have had a couple ~1hr plays with my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop without any game crashing problems.  Just a little controller lag and screen stutter once in a while but overall surprisingly good.  Still not quite as good as my Rift cv1 (when its not crashing, lol!).  I have not tried it with my Oculus Link Cable but I'm not in any hurry to use this again right now since my cv1 seems much better on all my other Oculus store games.  Maybe later?

I have had a few ~1hr sessions with my Vive Pro using Revive, no problems.  I'll try a longer session tomorrow and see if I can get it to crash.  Overall, visuals are best with my Pro so I'll probably attempt to finish LE with it.  I'll let you know if I get any crashes with it.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    dburne said:

I've been play LE mainly with my Vive Pro but today my wands needed charging so I decided to play with my good old Rift cv1.  Over the course of a couple hours I got 4x shutdowns (bug splats every ~30 minutes, sent reports).  Fortunately these just took me back to my Oculus home.  Kept trying lower settings after each one but this did not seem to make any difference.  Kinda strange, I don't even have an RTX gpu, just a gtx1080ti (stock FE, no OC).  Also have an i9 9900k with mild OC to 5.0Ghz and hyperthreading disabled and 32Gb 3000 ram.  Kinda disappointing....

Also, using an older nvidia driver 442.19 which has proven to be a very stable one for me.

I have had a couple ~1hr plays with my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop without any game crashing problems.  Just a little controller lag and screen stutter once in a while but overall surprisingly good.  Still not quite as good as my Rift cv1 (when its not crashing, lol!).  I have not tried it with my Oculus Link Cable but I'm not in any hurry to use this again right now since my cv1 seems much better on all my other Oculus store games.  Maybe later?

I have had a few ~1hr sessions with my Vive Pro using Revive, no problems.  I'll try a longer session tomorrow and see if I can get it to crash.  Overall, visuals are best with my Pro so I'll probably attempt to finish LE with it.  I'll let you know if I get any crashes with it.
    That is precisely what is happening to me.
    It usually happens within 5 minutes of starting the game.
    I can never progress very far in it before it does this.
    There is no telling how many error reports from bugsplat I sent in.
    Don

edited May 17
    Ya, and to just make matters worse when I went back to my Vive Pro with Revive both my Vive controllers will no longer work properly, lol!  Now I remember why I hate Revive.  Going to get rid of it for now.

Went back to my cv1 and it worked fine.  I disabled the High Performance Mode option (meant for high end cpu's like mine) and played for 1.5 hours without a shutdown.  Maybe all the extra textures that were included was blowing out memory or something.  Who knows? 

I'll soldier on with my cv1 for now.  I'm using OTT SS=1, asw=off, cpu=high priority.  In game setting all high, AA=none, Res = 2.0, auto res disabled.  Still look pretty good but lacks the clarity I got with my Vive Pro.

I'll let you know if it crashes again, fingers crossed!

edited May 17
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya, and to just make matters worse when I went back to my Vive Pro with Revive both my Vive controllers will no longer work properly, lol!  Now I remember why I hate Revive.  Going to get rid of it for now.

Went back to my cv1 and it worked fine.  I disabled the High Performance Mode option (meant for high end cpu's like mine) and played for 1.5 hours without a shutdown.  Maybe all the extra textures that were included was blowing out memory or something.  Who knows? 

I'll soldier on with my cv1 for now.  I'm using OTT SS=1, asw=off, cpu=high priority.  In game setting all high, AA=4x, Res = 2.0, auto res disabled.  Still look pretty good but lacks the clarity I got with my Vive Pro.

I'll let you know if it crashes again, fingers crossed!
    I will try those settings a little later on today and see what happens, will advise.
    I have tried with high performance mode both enabled and disabled, with no difference.
    Don

edited May 17
    Don, you probably will need to drop your in.-game resolution to 1.5 to better match your Rift S to my cv1 at 2.0.

edited May 17
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Don, you probably will need to drop your in.-game resolution to 1.5 to better match your Rift S to my cv1 at 2.0.
    Ok thanks, will be trying shortly.
    Don

TomCgcmfc said:
    Well no dice, now it is crashing to desktop with bugsplat within just a minute or so.
    Don

Tried a few more times changing some settings around, with no luck. It is crashing to bug-splat within 2-5 min now every time. Mind boggling, when all my other games are solid as can be.
    Don

edited May 17
    Well Don, you can’t say you did not give it the good old college try mate!  I’m hoping the few changes I made ( mainly disabling high performance mode and dropping OTT SS to 1.0 so LE only honors my in-game 2.0 setting without auto res) helps.  I intend to have a nice long session later today so I guess I’ll find out soon, lol!

I’m still on Oculus v16 so I hope the forced update to v17 does not put a spanner in the works.  If it does I’ll give my Quest w/Link a go.

edited May 17
    OK, I just played LE for just over 1 hour without a shutdown.  I should note that I reduced the in-game AA to None.  Like Rune's said in the past AA is not that big a deal visually with the cv1 (seemed to help more with my Vive Pro for some reason).  Also, might help reduce loads, who knows, time will tell.

Also, I temporarily disconnected my Flight Sim USB sticks.  I have found a few Oculus store apps that do not like them plugged in for some reason (glider island and voxel) so I thought I'd see if it made any difference with LE.  Probably not, but I'm just trying to eliminate potential problems.

edited May 18
    Well mine continues to crash to bug-splat very early on, usually within 2-5 min after starting the game.
    I have tried multitudes of different settings, have tried installing to different library locations, nothing I have tried makes any difference at all.

Attached is a copy of my crash file log. If anyone smarter than me on this stuff sees anything that might be a clue I would sure appreciate it. Seems to me there are a lot of references to some kind of font issues but I don't know.
    At this point I am ready to uninstall again for good. While I would like to have been able to play this thing all the way through, I have too many other great games none of which I have an issue with that I can be playing.

Don