cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oculus link - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

duckizz76
Honored Guest
Hey all,
I am trying to get oculus link to work. I see that GTX 970 is supported but mine is GTX 970M so
Question 1: is this compatible?

also i installed tthe oculus app and I see that it tells me my laptop cannot support Rift. However I can connect oculus quest to my laptop and see the Enable Oculus Link (Beta) button in my quest. Clicking on it though nothing happens. 
Question 2: Is the reason its not working because of my graphics card?

thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

MikeF
Trustee
The 970m is unfortunately underspec even for the original rift so i doubt youl have any luck getting it to work

Richooal
Consultant
Q1. No
Q2. This is the reason, yes.

Here's the info you need for Link.................
https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TheC0llectoR
Protege
 My house has been full since the pandemic and the addition of extra family members. So my 4 kids use the gaming desktop with our htc vive cosmos elite and I mainly sit on the porch outside and use the quest 2 and virtual desktop or most recently my Shadow Boost since its activation. So even though i can use virtual desktop, steamvr and run boneworks, vtol vr, arizona sunrise, the walking dead and others perfectly fine on my MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro "laptop" with the 970m, even ran Elite dangerous this way, albeit not very smoothly, but everything else though has been totally playable. I've even played Synthriders, Audica and Beat Saber this way before I purchased them natively for the Quest. So tell me again why oculus thinks (in the majority's opinion) that this aging, beatdown, dilapidated, relic of a laptop is outside mainstream vr specs? Money, right? Gotta push you to only buy what will make them and any affiliated manufactures the most from the sells of frustrated parents that have to go out and upgrade because the gift they got their child won't work without a 80 dollar link cable or another 1300 dollars in pc upgrades. Of course, I have purchased 3 separate usb 3 cables on amazon for less than 25 dollars that work great and using a 20 dollar streaming app to bypass the compatibility issue has solved most issues. Please don't misunderstand me and my ramblings. I AM ALL FOR pushing innovation and I SUPPORT developers on patreon and itch.io. I have 229 PAID steam games, 108 Viveport etc games, so I'm fully aware that upgrading is part of the process of that innovation. That's why my desktop has 64gb ram and a 11gb graphics card, But don't just tell me that it won't work because "..." says it won't. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I'm currently sitting here with my Quest 2 on my forehead where I can see enough to type and look up to see I am staring at 25 or more nullbodies trying to climb up to me in the zombie play area in boneworks RIGHT NOW....... I really need to start drinking or something someday

TheC0llectoR
Protege
 My house has been full since the pandemic and the addition of extra family members. So my 4 kids use the gaming desktop with our htc vive cosmos elite and I mainly sit on the porch outside and use the quest 2 and virtual desktop or most recently my Shadow Boost since its activation. So even though i can use virtual desktop, steamvr and run boneworks, vtol vr, arizona sunrise, the walking dead and others perfectly fine on my MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro "laptop" with the 970m, even ran Elite dangerous this way, albeit not very smoothly, but everything else though has been totally playable. I've even played Synthriders, Audica and Beat Saber this way before I purchased them natively for the Quest. So tell me again why oculus thinks (in the majority's opinion) that this aging, beatdown, dilapidated, relic of a laptop is outside mainstream vr specs? Money, right? Gotta push you to only buy what will make them and any affiliated manufactures the most from the sells of frustrated parents that have to go out and upgrade because the gift they got their child won't work without a 80 dollar link cable or another 1300 dollars in pc upgrades. Of course, I have purchased 3 separate usb 3 cables on amazon for less than 25 dollars that work great and using a 20 dollar streaming app to bypass the compatibility issue has solved most issues. Please don't misunderstand me and my ramblings. I AM ALL FOR pushing innovation and I SUPPORT developers on patreon and itch.io. I have 229 PAID steam games, 108 Viveport etc games, so I'm fully aware that upgrading is part of the process of that innovation. That's why my desktop has 64gb ram and a 11gb graphics card, But don't just tell me that it won't work because "..." says it won't. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I'm currently sitting here with my Quest 2 on my forehead where I can see enough to type and look up to see I am staring at 25 or more nullbodies trying to climb up to me in the zombie play area in boneworks RIGHT NOW.......  really need to start drinking or something 

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
How would oculus/facebook make money off of you upgrading your PC? Kinda falls apart when you think about it....

PITTCANNA
Visionary
There is absolutely no way a 970m can even provide quest 2 with a passable link expereince at about 20 frames a second.  It is laughable to think this is oculus problem.  

0ls3aav2jxfu.jpg

PITTCANNA
Visionary

My house has been full since the pandemic and the addition of extra family members. So my 4 kids use the gaming desktop with our htc vive cosmos elite and I mainly sit on the porch outside and use the quest 2 and virtual desktop or most recently my Shadow Boost since its activation. So even though i can use virtual desktop, steamvr and run boneworks, vtol vr, arizona sunrise, the walking dead and others perfectly fine on my MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro "laptop" with the 970m, even ran Elite dangerous this way, albeit not very smoothly, but everything else though has been totally playable. I've even played Synthriders, Audica and Beat Saber this way before I purchased them natively for the Quest. So tell me again why oculus thinks (in the majority's opinion) that this aging, beatdown, dilapidated, relic of a laptop is outside mainstream vr specs? Money, right? Gotta push you to only buy what will make them and any affiliated manufactures the most from the sells of frustrated parents that have to go out and upgrade because the gift they got their child won't work without a 80 dollar link cable or another 1300 dollars in pc upgrades. Of course, I have purchased 3 separate usb 3 cables on amazon for less than 25 dollars that work great and using a 20 dollar streaming app to bypass the compatibility issue has solved most issues. Please don't misunderstand me and my ramblings. I AM ALL FOR pushing innovation and I SUPPORT developers on patreon and itch.io. I have 229 PAID steam games, 108 Viveport etc games, so I'm fully aware that upgrading is part of the process of that innovation. That's why my desktop has 64gb ram and a 11gb graphics card, But don't just tell me that it won't work because "..." says it won't. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I'm currently sitting here with my Quest 2 on my forehead where I can see enough to type and look up to see I am staring at 25 or more nullbodies trying to climb up to me in the zombie play area in boneworks RIGHT NOW.......  really need to start drinking or something 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

TheC0llectoR
Protege

How would oculus/facebook make money off of you upgrading your PC? Kinda falls apart when you think about it....

First off, I'd like to apologize for a few things. 1st, not sure why my post went through multiple times so that wasn't intentional. 2nd, I definitely gotta apologize to you and everyone else that has to suffer so much. I forget that there are people out here who don't really pickup on sarcasm and they tend to read everything I write as if I were some pissed off grandpa and I was screaming at them....so listen, nothing was personally directed at you and if you read it over again now with this extra information I'm hoping you'd see that you might've missed the point. There's also a good chance that I lead you to your conclusion because I rambled my way into a rant. It happens, trust me, if you spent all day heading up a 17 member team of developers everyday, praying\hoping for a quick aneurysm to take you out, I'm sure you'd understand. But, besides that, it's not even like I'm speaking about anything that is fabricated. Take a few days of trading stocks and it clearly won't seem like it "Kinda falls apart..." as much. But what do I know, I'm just a moron sitting on my msi apache pro 970m playing Boneworks on my quest 2 while everyone gets mad about it I guess.....

nanomele
Honored Guest

Hello btevepaugh! Have you ever tried quill on this pc with the quest 2?

Do you think could work well? maybe even on eavy scene?