New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Comic Book Thread

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,999 Valuable Player
What are your favourite superheroes? What are your favourite graphic novels?

For me I'd have to say The Punisher is my favourite because he's a complete headcase lol :D

And the Daredevil comes a VERY close second because I'm a United fan :p

Comic books that need to be consigned to the nearest landfill have to be the godawful The Children Of The Atom and even worse the New Warriors.

Children Of The Atom trailer.

New Warriors trailer.

I'm still not sure if that New Warriors is a real thing or an early April Fool's joke lmfao :D The characters are fucking TERRIBLE, their 'powers' are even WORSE.

And all of this is happening at a time when comic book shops are going out of business. I just can't see the sense in releasing a bunch of politically correct VERY poorly devised characters at a time when the industry is about to collapse. Stan Lee will be spinning in his grave these last few weeks. It's pure insanity.

Not sure if DC have also started doing this sort of nonsense but if they have the comic book industry is fucking d00med  :o:D

Thankfully we're still getting some decent stuff crowdfunded so all is not completely lost.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,810 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    As a kid I was an Iron Man fan back when he was an alcoholic.
    Spidermans a close second.
    Watchmen of course was amazing and The Comedian is awesome even with his serious flaws.
    Grew out of XMen quickly. Wolvie is over rated.
    Supermans to much of a boyscout and batmans a moody dick.

I enjoyed Spawn and Savage Dragon from image when I was in high school.
    I have t bought any comics that were not adigital bundle since then.

oh and Snow there is a rumer that DC is looking to close its doors and sell digital copies of thier library and focus on the movies which make more money.
    If they can get their heads out of their arses and look at what works like Aquaman, Shazaam, Wonder Women and stop producing utter shit that was suicide squad and the haley quinn birds of prey shitfest.

Just watched the trailer that comics going to be a socail justice warriors wet dream aka a horrible dumpster fire.
    INTERNET GAS!!??!! SAFE SPACE!!!!
    I can see their new Villians now, The Bullier, The Homophobe, The NRA man, The NienWoke, MAGAMAN!!!!!!
    Uh.... I would rather read Captain Planet at least protecting the planet makes sense.
    Id throw that damn heart ring back at Gia though. Seriously that dudes throwing FIRE!!!! Heart my ass.
    WAAAGH!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,999 Valuable Player
    I think that Children Of The Atom isn't TOO bad, they've basically just switched genders and race around and kept junior versions of the X-Men. It's just lazy and poor character development.

But who on earth gave the New Warriors the green light? Who thought that ANY of these characters were a good idea (apart from the idiots that created them of course)?

I still think it's been announced as an early April Fools joke, am going to have to see if I can find it to download it and read it to see just how bad it is. And no, I'm NOT going to buy it lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,810 Valuable Player
    edited April 17
    My favorite comic books are probably Conan the Barbarian, the Barry (Windsor-)Smith run covering issues 1 to 24 - but also his last stories in Savage Tales #2-3. Not sure that many persons know that Smith did Savage Tales #2-3 just after Conan the Barbarian #24.

Did read a lot of Hulk, Spidey and X-Men too as a child/teenager. I especially liked the Romita Sr. run, never really liked Ditko, but as an adult I've learnt to appreciate Ditko's art more. 

Miller's 4 Dark Knight Returns books from 1986 still are among my favorites too. 

Besides Barry Smith, I really loved the Conan stories beginning in Conan the Barbarian #101 (John Buscema and Ernie Chan) - especially this story from my childhood (read it when I was 9 or 10 years old) - it's very hard to find the original art, but so far I've got one page - it's hidden below ;)

5a7c7b73a6c55_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-01thumbjpg014d83843ff7262a233ae55b8179062cjpg

5a7c7b79be341_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-02thumbjpg955fabc19fa7f3cc1571d5101b4487bfjpg

5a7c7b7de3bf5_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-03thumbjpg980dbeb25d73f69d149640a866903f30jpg

5a7c7b82733d7_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-04thumbjpg289fb782f0591d5393d885b8feb7818bjpg

5a7c7b8735da3_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-05thumbjpgfff0974eee3115068d5dee87b454b619jpg

5a7c7b8f302e6_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-06thumbjpgb159d2d8f2e0ef27df9278e6175c98a8jpg

5a7c7b9319aa3_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-07thumbjpg0023d7fdcba3b2b8b68180e9fe6c936djpg

5a7c7b96bed01_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-08thumbjpg7ddcc48c8e57a7be654e859aed096a4bjpg

5a7c7b9b71518_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-09thumbjpg2f26019096acdb8b6394353dd3b59c28jpg

5a7c7b9f7eeeb_Conan-TheBarbarianv1101-10thumbjpg0fb19ddc9bd00dd9738cb4c9a3873252jpg

Yup, you'll need the book to read the ending ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    I've just had a look to see if anyone has pirated the New Warriors that was released a couple of days ago (because there's NO WAY I'm going to pay for it!) and there's no sign of it so far.

You know things are REALLY bad when not even pirates go anywhere near something 😂😂😂

I still can't get over the Internet Gas and the Magic Backpack lmfao 😂

Dear Marvel, I can do MUCH better writing than that and create MUCH better superheroes. How about The Snowdog and Vannagirl and their arch enemy Zenbane?

There might be some copyright issues with Rush and Mattel but I can't see it being too much of a problem, we can always change a few details here and there to avoid lawsuits 😂😂😂

edited April 17
    Still haven't read Batman The Court of Owls - bought the giant Absolute Edition some time ago - but for now Alyx wins my time, sigh.

Batman The Court Of Owls Absolute Edition Dc Comics Ingles
    Also haven't read my Swamp Thing Omnibus - but it's 928 pages  :# Better play some Alyx instead  o:) That's my problem these days - having the choice between reading books or to use VR, VR nearly always wins... Maybe I should sit down and start reading soon - I still consider the best comic books way beyond the best superhero movies. And not even a 4K movie has the res of a printed comic book, lol.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Apparently the New Warriors comic has been delayed for a week. 😭😂

edited April 18
    Friday evening is bad, all the kids watching YouTube and my Oculus download taking forever to complete - and can't use Index, because Knuckles jam my 2.4 Ghz wifi signal  :# And the download pauses if I start any Oculus app or game.
    What to do? I got back to reading these  o:)

Even Miller recommends Corto:

Personally I'm not that fond of Corto, the stories do not captivate me a lot, but it helps enjoyed with a glass of cognac ;)

edited April 24
    Oh shit. DC are at it now lol :D

There's a spoiler below for those that don't fancy watching the video. Seems that both Marvel and DC are going full SJW lol

Comic book is called Gotham High. So apparently Bruce Wayne went to High School and wasn't home tutored or went to a boarding school like most rich kids. Bruce Wayne NOT going to High School explains how he has never had any FRIENDS ffs.

And it gets worse. Bruce Wayne isn't white, he's Chinese American.  His Dad is white American and his Mum is Chinese...and of course she is the reason why the Wayne family is rich. Can't have a white male being successful these days after all, can we?

And it gets EVEN WORSE THAN THAT. Alfred is a blood relative, his Uncle Alfred. And he's as gay as LZ.

And of course Selena Kyle, Catwoman for those that don't know, is also in High School and not living on the streets. And Bruce Wayne and Jack Napier (the Joker) are involved in competing for Selena's affections.

edited April 24
    WTF!!!!!!!!!! Is that B.S.!
    May as well put them all in Archie now.
    Veronica is gonna flip for a new guy in HER High School!

Im going Watch nipple suit batman to cleanse my mind of that horse dung.

WAAAGH!
    edited April 24
    snowdog said:
    Oh shit. DC are at it now lol :D

There's a spoiler below for those that don't fancy watching the video. Seems that both Marvel and DC are going full SJW lol

Comic book is called Gotham High. So apparently Bruce Wayne went to High School and wasn't home tutored or went to a boarding school like most rich kids. Bruce Wayne NOT going to High School explains how he has never had any FRIENDS ffs.

And it gets worse. Bruce Wayne isn't white, he's Chinese American.  His Dad is white American and his Mum is Chinese...and of course she is the reason why the Wayne family is rich. Can't have a white male being successful these days after all, can we?

And it gets EVEN WORSE THAN THAT. Alfred is a blood relative, his Uncle Alfred. And he's as gay as LZ.

And of course Selena Kyle, Catwoman for those that don't know, is also in High School and not living on the streets. And Bruce Wayne and Jack Napier (the Joker) are involved in competing for Selena's affections.

And I got all hypertensive when I saw this kinda blasphemous movie was being made, lol, which btw ended up not that bad, although a mere shadow of the books...

Marvel also created Miles Morales as the new Ultimate Spidey, and having a black Spidey, although in a parallel universe, did feel kinda strange. But after reading some of the books Morales is ok with me, but there's a fine line not to be crossed when reinventing classic comic characters.

edited April 24
    Btw, ended up reading these HCs to expand my comfort zone:

- and the black Spidey did get awesome reviews:

Reinventing some characters does provide some fresh air - and the art was nice - here's a taste:
    11thumbJPGa290bc85cd6625b056843b96b1677884JPG
    3thumbJPGbb89878acc8925aa906e4035ad81ac1bJPG
    4thumbJPG940901473807752ae156ddead930dd62JPG
    There will be blood - I don't recall this level of violence in old Romita Sr Spidey books
    6thumbJPG711a0bafa9167abdd27cb348b6e5b332JPG
    5thumbJPG7715e8b49e4c1487b88a0abea43d0a7fJPG
    7thumbJPGada0f8b6ec3be0a4ebe8d05e4c300d47JPG
    8thumbJPG40f9a44aa02cebade37fbd4a686b4e57JPG
    9thumbJPGec5f9a6044ffbec185128727afb68b79JPG
    10thumbJPG4800357a37369df179bdeebc6ec0abd3JPG
    12thumbJPGb79fb1d510093b04c9cc6ca811a85cd9JPG
    13thumbJPGe2b98dfa06c6aedcb940c84f46093e14JPG

But Wayne suddenly being a Chinese - that's gonna take some beyond incredible writing skills, lol. Although some might have gotten too close to some bats in Wuhan... Hmmm.... ;)

I still collect some published and original comic book art, primarily covers. When evaluating original art covers I consider buying, I try not to let nostalgia (apart from one Conan page) or love for a story cloud my judgment, so often I don't read the books before I buy the cover ("never judge a cover by its book!"  :D 

I read the books below after buying the cover. My Spectre cover is part of a miniseries consisting of 8 books, Mignola and Wrightson also drew covers for the series, and Batman is part of the story:

forsiderthumbJPGe2b70222068a08b25617031812602710JPG

The books were great, highly recommended - here're some examples of the amazing art within the books. Note that some images may be disturbing, so viewer discretion is advised  o:)

1thumbJPG87e85e9d8c0b5d2507ef4b2b90a5917fJPG

2-2thumbjpgd37ecd5aef43acb94e4b34147c3a4ac0jpg
    2thumbjpgd71175de20231d405d737d3b5ec26a6fjpg
    3thumbjpg11df0e7267163e5c7250a977cccc4edejpg
    5thumbjpgd5a8d02d501493d1395aaf16e16dd9b7jpg

- and some last inspiration - these books were really great too - it's probably close to 700 pages. I was impressed by the stories. I don't have a complete collection of these Hex TPBs nor do I intend to get one, it's more to catch up on some of the later Hex stories:

efhtthumbJPG1dcd81ad063c3f8442558aa672ca164bJPG

The idea behind most stories seems to be that evil men have done something unimaginably cruel, which legitimates what Hex is doing to them in a few pages  :o  Some of the stories are truly disturbing, like a child being fed alive to alligators, while the mother is sexually abused by some men (yes, some of the evil men I mentioned). I don't think it's great literature for kids or young teenagers, but these are great books for adults, possibly best enjoyed in the company of brandy or whiskey... 

I'd be fine(ish) with Gotham High if it was in a parallel universe to explain it. The New Warriors, however, is an abomination in ANY universe lol :D

Turns out that Gotham High IS in a parallel universe! Not quite so bad then. I guess.

Brilliant video here just about covers everything to say about this abomination:

:D:D:D

edited May 2

I just read 4 King Conan books:

1thumbJPGbacdd6feb62ad7dc85a9b49521310b28JPG

I did enjoy the story more than I anticipated - and it seems that I'm not alone:

"This graphic novel compiles all four of the miniseries issues into one book, along with a couple of creator notes and a sketch gallery. You have almost no chance of being disappointed if you have ever enjoyed a sword and sorcery story. If you are a Conan fan, that percentage is closer to zero. It is the quintessential Howard tale brought to life by an amazing group on individuals who work miracles on the printed page. I can think of no higher recommendation than Robert E. Howard himself couldn’t have finished it any better! By Crom, go buy this!"
    http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2016/07/27/comic-review-king-conan-wolves

"King Conan Wolves Beyond the Border #1 should be a delight to Conan fans old and new. The creative team of Truman, Giorello and Villarrubia are creating classic Conan adventures of the highest quality.  Add this one to your comics shop pull list with confidence, it will not disappoint."
    http://wordofthenerdonline.com/2015/12/comic-review-king-conan-wolves-beyond-the-border-1/

"Tomas Giorello’s artwork remains great. Few artists have captured the weird horror of Hyboria so well as Giorello, whose work is vividly detailed without seeming cluttered. The inks enhance the original pencils rather than obscuring them. And the colors of Jose Villarrubia perfectly paint the finished artwork.
    If you’ve yet to join Conan in treading the jeweled thrones of the Earth under sandalled feet, this comic would be a fine place for you to begin your adventures in the world of Hyboria.  The story is great. The artwork equally so. And I cannot wait to see what Truman and Giorello have in store for us next. By Crom, this is Conan at his best!"
    http://kabooooom.com/2015/12/king-conan-wolves-beyond-the-border-1-review/

"The art, though, is what surprises. So very good. A true collaboration, the book presents a coherent language of image, colors, textures, and text. I wish I had more technical capacity to describe it, but the brush of colors, the textured shading (hatching), and the composition of the drawings manages to evoke both Berni Wrightson and N.C. Wyeth. I am not exaggerating, and I am not engaging in hyperbole (or hyper-perbole). I can’t think of two more worthy stars to steer a comic book by.
    Verdict: Yes, buy it. Dark Horse presents a great story and a beautiful — almost classical — work of the sequential art form, while continuing their excellent treatment of Conan. Really something."
    http://talkingcomicbooks.com/2015/12/28/king-conan-1-review/

- and I also enjoyed reading these TPBs, really hope Arnold gets the King Conan movie done! These books all contain new Conan stories - and it's quite great stuff. 

22204thumbjpg2ff4cc76465cf6b238468f010f279d33jpg

58f63f5d35f90_KingConanv02-ThePhoenixontheSword2013digitalSonofUltron-Empirethumbjpga2dd6600a269bd6965673133c8a6f291jpg

3754063-01thumbjpgd4cb245f90f3e86b784e61f5b32d4fc8jpg

71VDDtINWfLthumbjpg179a89ebf1a7fbbfcbf2b673861ca592jpg

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,211 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2
    The only recent comic I’ve read is The Walking Dead. I have the full run digitally, plus most of it in the annual hardbound books. When I was a teenager, I collected Punisher (I have 1-30 of the original run, 1-15 of Punisher War Journal, and 3-5 of the initial limited series), and also went through a long Conan phase (I loved the Savage Sword of Conan large-format black-and-white books). I always loved Spider-man, but never really collected any. I have a bunch of old Batman graphic novels, a few Sandman, the first year of Spawn, and a random assortment of Marvel comics from the early ‘80s. 

I recently looked into the ComiXology app to see if I could revisit some of my childhood favourites, but you have to buy a monthly subscription to get access to a lot of the older titles. It was a bit of a nostalgia trip to just browse the covers and sample pages of comics I had as a kid. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    nalex66 said:
    When I was a teenager, I collected Punisher (I have 1-30 of the original run, 1-15 of Punisher War Journal, and 3-5 of the initial limited series)
    Love the Punisher - but I've never dedicated myself to buying a lot of the books. Also enjoyed some parts of the Netflix tv show - and a few years back I found a nice original art cover, but it had just been sold. Furtunately it reemerged and I was lucky to win it - it's one of my favorite covers in my collection, although maybe not a first choice for inspiring the kids  :D  

I just got Netflix over Christmas. I've watched Daredevil, but haven't started into Punisher yet, although it was one of the reasons I wanted Netflix in the first place. My wife got sick of all the violent shows, so we've been watching Community and The Office instead.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Daredevil was awesome, shame that Netflix lost the Marvel licence though. In terms of awesomeness I rate the Marvel series in this order:

Daredevil > The Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Iron Fist

They also did a mini-series that had all of them in it which was pretty good too. :D

snowdog said:
    Daredevil was awesome, shame that Netflix lost the Marvel licence though. In terms of awesomeness I rate the Marvel series in this order:

Daredevil > The Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Iron Fist

They also did a mini-series that had all of them in it which was pretty good too. :D
    Yeah, The Defenders, I watched that too, as well as season 1 of Jessica Jones. The Defenders storyline was what got me interested in the ComiXology app--I had some old Daredevil comics featuring the Hand when I was younger, and I wanted to re-read those. I think I had the issue where Elektra died, but it's all a blur now.
    Still no news on Safespace and Snowflake, apart from a comic book shop owner saying he's bought 500 copies of the first issue because he's convinced that the publicity will make the New Warriors sell. Bloody idiot 😂😂😂

Well at least he will have paper for the next TP shortage.
    WAAAGH!
    I still have my doubts that Marvel will actually release the thing. It isn't in the list of stuff being released next month and it's suffered delay after delay after delay.

I'm still not sure if it's actually a real thing tbh, probably started off as an April Fool's joke and they thought they'd continue the ruse cos it's a bit of a giggle 😂😂😂😂

edited May 21
    Btw, collecting comics may also be a nice investment - maybe more secure than stocks, but of course you never know. 

This is the price development for Amazing Fantasy #15 (first Spidey) - during the last 17 years, the price has risen from about 3K to 45K - and this is just for a well-read CGC 5.0 copy:

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 5.0

The line isn't correct for 2003, prices that year were from $2,000 to 2,750 - while the last sale was 44K (May 2020). 

- and I should have bought the Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.8 many years ago, but I still consider more than 2K expensive for that book, because I do not care much for Blade, sigh:

Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.8

Prices were less than 2K in 2002, now they are between 12K and 15K. 

Of course not all books show such tendencies, especially books with the first appearance of a superhero or villain seem to increase a lot in value these days. 

Personally I buy books I love, I don't speculate in certain books - well, maybe I should have bought a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 before that rocket took of. 

Also, if WW3 ever comes, and we run out of toilet paper, I'm sure comics will be much better than stamps or stocks  :D 

I'm gonna buy issue #1 of the new New Warriors. Quality like that is gonna be worth a FORTUNE in a few years 😂😂😂

Just bought my largest comic book yet, lol - added the movie box to show the book's size:

Not sure how to sit and read it - the book is shown here:

I like Jim Lee's art, it's so long ago I read those stories, they will probably be like new to me today, lol. Also got Miller's Holy Terror - haven't read that one before. 

edited July 8
    Holy Terror Miller Frank 8601416229973 Amazoncom Books

Note that the Miller book has been the subject of much controversy - from Wikipedia:

Holy Terror was controversial upon release; many comic book writers and reviewers argued that the novel's depiction of Muslims was Islamophobic.[16] David Brothers of ComicsAlliance, in a review of the book, felt that Miller's writing "[simplifies] matters to an almost absurd level... the enemy in Holy Terror is not so much the terrorist organization, Al-Qaeda, but the religion of Islam."[17] Similarly, Cyriaque Lamar of Io9 called the portrayal of terrorists "cartoonish... [gutting] Holy Terror of any emotional resonance."[18] Spencer Ackerman of Wired wrote that the book was "one of the most appalling, offensive and vindictive comics of all time... Miller's Holy Terror is a screed against Islam, completely uninterested in any nuance or empathy toward 1.2 billion people he conflates with a few murderous conspiracy theorists."[19]

Stan Lee has been another critic of this method, saying that such "corny" propaganda methods were outdated and inappropriate.[citation needed]

In August 2006, fellow Batman writer Grant Morrison criticized the novel's concept, saying:

Batman vs. Al Qaeda! It might as well be Bin Laden vs. King Kong! Or how about the sinister Al Qaeda mastermind up against a hungry Hannibal Lecter! For all the good it's likely to do. Cheering on a fictional character as he beats up fictionalized terrorists seems like a decadent indulgence when real terrorists are killing real people in the real world. I'd be so much more impressed if Frank Miller gave up all this graphic novel nonsense, joined the Army and, with a howl of undying hate, rushed headlong onto the front lines with the young soldiers who are actually risking life and limb 'vs.' Al Qaeda.[20]

Miller responded generally to these criticisms on his blog, again referring to the book as intentional propaganda "without apology" and saying, "I'm too old to serve my country in any other way. Otherwise, I'd gladly be pulling the trigger myself."[21] However, in 2018, Miller expressed regret for writing Holy Terror: "When I look at Holy Terror, which I really don’t do all that often, I can really feel the anger ripple out of the pages... I don’t want to wipe out chapters of my own biography. But I’m not capable of that book again."[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Terror_(graphic_novel)

From reading the book, it's clear (at least to me) that this originally was a Batman book taking place in Gotham City, but maybe DC got cold feet and Miller changed Batman to some dude named "The Fixer" (which looks extremely much like Batman, lol) and the city is now called "Empire City". This was a fun illustration, lol:

Then again, "The Fixer" does do things that Batman wouldn't. The book is what it is - but the art is really awesome, some of the best Miller art I've seen. 

Islamic fundamentalist nutjobs in comics, video games, TV and films are fair game as far as I'm concerned. B)

edited October 19
    Tried to make some dude happy today by overpaying for this book, but I've been searching for a copy for several years. And 5 hours ago the first book in years surfaced on Ebay - got it within minutes  o:)

It's close to worthless - last sale was $51 - I monitor most things  B)  :D  

- but beggars can't be choosers - and there are 7 CGC 9.8 copies in the world right now and none better:

The book probably isn't worth more than $20 in an auction, but I own the original art cover and just like to have a 9.8 copy of the printed cover ;)