New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Downloaded/unzipped ADB Driver doesn't have "inf" extension, can't right-click/install

Hey_Matty_BHey_Matty_B Posts: 8
Brain Burst
Hello there. I'm having an issue installing the Oculus ADB Drivers to my Oculus Quest. I've downloaded the "oculus-adb-driver-2.0" zip file to Windows 10, unzipped it, and gone into the appropriate sub-folder, but the "android_winusb" file doesn't show up as an INF file. When I right click it, there's no option to install. Instead, it opens the file up as a text file. 

I know people are having multiple issues with getting these drivers to work, but I've only seen this particular problem mentioned a couple of times (mostly on YouTube videos; I did a quick search through these forums and couldn't find anything). And some of the walkthrough solutions I've found online seem pretty dated (pre-Link, and several Quest updates ago). I'm also wondering if the most recent version of SideQuest installs these ADB drivers on its own during setup? (I saw something that suggested that, but I'm not sure.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,195 Volunteer Moderator
    I just downloaded the adb driver from https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-adb-drivers/ and it has the inf file.
    What extension did the android_winusb file actually have?
    Have you enabled visible extensions? By default windows hides extensions. Go into an explorer window and select View / Options / View and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types".

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,361 Valuable Player
    edited April 2020
    You do not need to show the .inf extension to install these drivers.  You just need admin rights.  Worked fine for me after I unzipped the folder.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    You do not need to show the .inf extension to install these drivers.
    Sorry, I didn't mean the extension needs to be shown to install, just that the reason "doesn't have 'inf' extension" happened might be because windows is hiding it, so we can narrow down the problem.

It drives me crazy that windows tries to hide parts of file names. The first thing I do on any new computer (I move to many different classroom PCs at work) is turn off hiding. :)
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • Hey_Matty_BHey_Matty_B Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    Hello there. I'm having an issue installing the Oculus ADB Drivers to my Oculus Quest. I've downloaded the "oculus-adb-driver-2.0" zip file to Windows 10, unzipped it, and gone into the appropriate sub-folder, but the "android_winusb" file doesn't show up as an INF file. When I right click it, there's no option to install. Instead, it opens the file up as a text file. 

I know people are having multiple issues with getting these drivers to work, but I've only seen this particular problem mentioned a couple of times (mostly on YouTube videos; I did a quick search through these forums and couldn't find anything). And some of the walkthrough solutions I've found online seem pretty dated (pre-Link, and several Quest updates ago). I'm also wondering if the most recent version of SideQuest installs these ADB drivers on its own during setup? (I saw something that suggested that, but I'm not sure.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I merged your second duplicate thread in here. There's no need for two identical threads a day apart, especially when there are already responses in the first thread.
  • danz3113danz3113 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I am also having this same issue as the original poster. I have unchecked hidden files and hidden file name extensions. Now the .inf file shows but it only opens as a text doc. Any advice is appreciated!
    danz3113 said:
    I am also having this same issue as the original poster. I have unchecked hidden files and hidden file name extensions. Now the .inf file shows but it only opens as a text doc. Any advice is appreciated!
    You do not open it.  You right click on it and select install.  You need admin permissions to do this btw.  Also, there was not any need to show the extension.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

NerveGear
    Thank you, Tom. When I right click, I do not get an install option- only an explore. And are you referencing computer admin permissions? Cause I have those. I was trying this on a different computer with the same results as well.

Any chance you can walk me through this like a 5 year old?? 
    Maybe try right clicking on this file a couple of times.  I think I've noticed that sometimes the install does not always show up.  Otherwise, I don't know what else you can do except maybe ask Oculus Support for help.  Maybe the drivers are not current and you may need to download them again? 

Sorry I can not be of more help mate.  I think I must have been lucky and it all seemed to work for me as per Virtual Desktop website instructions.

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

This was the best/easiest 2 minute YT vid I found to follow.  I installed VD on my Quest first and then sideloaded the updated version form sidequest for wireless.  You don't need VD if you are not interested in wireless, just this stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3kPD9ZrxE

You might also try the Virtual Desktop discord channel (google it).  Good luck mate and cheers.

NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc- you did it!!! Your suggestion to continuously right click did it. Took 10 times but install finally appeared. I really appreciate your help!
  • jayblancojayblanco Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Im having the same issue. I have right clicked many many times but install will not show up. Im running the latest version of Windows 10
  • darmooddarmood Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    extract file to desktop  and open from there
  • The_HoriZoneThe_HoriZone Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    darmood said:
    extract file to desktop  and open from there
    This. I had been clicking for ages on the file, only to realise it was in the zip file. I had already extracted it to my laptop, but I actually forgot to switch my window to that folder!