cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need Help, Rift S, Valve index and about Asgards Wrath.

Scarborough1994
Sightseer
I'm considering getting a VR, however I'm really stuck on what to choose... 

I love the idea of Rift-S Inside out tracking, but i don't know how accurate it is, or how what view it covers, I hear its comfortability is same as PS:VR, which kinda makes me sweat and i wouldn't say it's comfortable.

I love the idea of Valve Index, i hear it has better graphics, sound, and obviously the most iconic 5 finger tracking (Which is one of the biggest reasons why i want to get it apart from the graphics), although i hear it gets very hot, and is not as durable as the Rift, but it's supposed to also be more comfortable.

Asgards Wraith, I love the look of it, It looks really amazing, HOWEVER it's only on oculus store, will this change in the future?, I really hope so as it may make my decision a little easier, also is it open world?

Please help me.
5 REPLIES 5

Scarborough1994
Sightseer
*add on to the valve index* I'm not sure how base stations work, and not sure how good it is, i presume it gives alot better tracking than inside out?, also are they difficult to setup?

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
While I've never used  an index, I have zero complaints about the rift-s being uncomfortable and zero complaints about the tracking. The tracking is 99% as good as the old 'camera based' systems IMHO and worth it for the convenience factor. The index DOES have better res and refresh rates tho...

That being said, Asgard's Wrath is AMAZING. This and Half Life: Alyx are the two best VR games in my opinion. Lone echo and mages tale come close, along with a loong list of other games that are a step down but still incredible.

You could place oculus games using a program called revive, and I hear it works flawlessly. But it will never be anything but an oculus exclusive. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Asgard's Wrath still has temporal antialiasing build-in (disabled only using Low details), I have the Index but still prefer Rift CV1 for that game, the game was designed for the Rift CV1 and it shows. Temporal antialiasing makes image quality very blurry using lcd hmds (like Index, Reverb and Rift-S), but looks perfectly using oled like Rift CV1. Maybe Quest (=oled) with Oculus Link would be your best option for that game, but I've never tried Oculus Link. Asgard's Wrath profits a lot from the deep oled blacks in the crypts and dungeons (but you might never know if you never tried oled). 

Index does not get more hot than my CV1, but Index controllers may be more prone to drifting - although Valve has made a new revision and currently I rarely read new posts about drifting issues on Valve Index Reddit. Index has the best tracking you can get and Index controllers are awesome - but the price is 2.5 x Rift-S. Index is a hmd for enthusiasts, not sure it's a great hmd for beginners. 

Unless you have an extremely fast rig, you'll probably need some help getting a good framerate in Asgard's Wrath. Oculus has a software solution making 45 fps look so much like true 90 fps that many may rarely spot the difference. Index does not have the same help - here you'll need those sacred 90 fps to a much higher degree. 

Asgard's Wrath will probably forever be limited to the Oculus Store, but you can use special software to play it using non-Oculus hmds. 

Future games will probably be more focused on lcd hmds - Rift-S might be your best choice (also for Alyx), or Quest with Oculus Link - or just find a nice, used and inexpensive Rift CV1 with 3 sensors. Rift CV1 has the best sound you can get, and it has Index-class tracking and the most durable controllers of all - also, both Quest and Rift-S have very bad sound, probably causing you to buy some headphones (=extra costs).

In short - if I had to choose, I'd pick Rift CV1 for Asgard's Wrath - and it would be an easy choice for me. And I'd add a lot of super sampling to get the best possible image quality.

There's no perfect solution, but we're not talking about bad or good hmds, just different degrees of awesomeness 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm considering getting a VR, however I'm really stuck on what to choose... 

I love the idea of Rift-S Inside out tracking, but i don't know how accurate it is, or how what view it covers, I hear its comfortability is same as PS:VR, which kinda makes me sweat and i wouldn't say it's comfortable.

I love the idea of Valve Index, i hear it has better graphics, sound, and obviously the most iconic 5 finger tracking (Which is one of the biggest reasons why i want to get it apart from the graphics), although i hear it gets very hot, and is not as durable as the Rift, but it's supposed to also be more comfortable.

Asgards Wraith, I love the look of it, It looks really amazing, HOWEVER it's only on oculus store, will this change in the future?, I really hope so as it may make my decision a little easier, also is it open world?

Please help me.

Index I would say from what I have read is more durable than Rift S. Index is somewhat more complex to set up, but tracking is probably superior to any others. The new Knuckles controllers appear to be very nice. You will need a fairly powerful PC to run an Index with good performance. It does have a little better resolution and FOV over the Rift S.

Rift S - imho best bang for the buck. Comfort is great. Simplicity to use is great. Tracking is fine. Resolution is fine. Touch Controllers are great.  I got mine when it was released last May, been using it on a daily basis since then for many hours a week with no issue. Audio strap is weak, I use earbuds plugged into the 3.5mm audio jack on the Rift S, sound is awesome through that. Built in mic for me can be iffy, I use a desktop USB mic. Not all though have mic issues with it.

I had Rift CV1 prior to Rift S, it is permanently retired now. I could not go back to CV1.
I also would not consider picking up a used CV1, as Oculus no longer offers the HDMI cable and they are not a standard, so folks that have their cable go out will no longer have a working Rift with the CV1. There have been several posts on the forums over the last few months of this happening.

Either Index or Rift S I am sure you would be happy with, just depends on what you are looking for and how much willing to invest.

Scarborough1994
Sightseer
Think i'll go for the index, depending how long i'm on the waiting list for, If I'm on it for too long i'll probs just go for the rift s