New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would the Oculus Quest Run on a AMD Ryzen 7 4800hs chip?

agitokazuagitokazu Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited April 26 in Oculus Quest
So I recently got the new Asus Zephyrus G15 laptop which was released last week

It comes with a GTX 1660ti, AMD Ryzen 7 4800hs, 16gb Ram.

I purchased it thinking it would run Oculus Quest with Link cable well, since it's a better processor than most other laptops that are VR ready, but every single time I run a VR game with it, it becomes headache inducing which the screen jumps all over the place on the Oculus store and most games.

SteamVr seems to handle it better.

Will this get future support like the other AMD Processor or should I return this laptop and look for a better one?

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,975 Valuable Player
    edited April 26
    Short answer - we don't know - long answer - we really dont know. In terms does it have at least a video card? Yea sure - and is the CPU support - yea sure. So in theory it should work? But the real question is it powerful enough to really run VR? That we can't say. I assume yes - super low end as it is a APU. 

With that said - you are not using the APU half - so your real question is can my 1660ti and my Ryzen 7 4800hs run VR? - Then yes:3  At least at some point... Honestly, I am a bit surprise it has any issues, but possible something is conflicting as it is a new CPU/laptop design. 

As for your main question of getting a different one - mmm I would - I mean you got the laptop to play VR with so it be better to get one that works with VR right now than hope/pray/wait for it to come later. Its still a great laptop - but it might be a bit before everything works for it if that is the case.

On a side note - please reach out to Oculus in the mean time with a ticket. They might ask for that log so they can figure out for future releases to get it working correctly.
  • agitokazuagitokazu Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Alright I'll contact Oculus thank you so much
  • NihilateNihilate Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I just bought the same laptop with the RTX 2060 and I had the exact same problem. I bought this laptop to use with Oculus Quest and its a complete bust. Honestly I’m glad to hear someone else went they this so I know it’s not just my computer.  Very disappointing to say the least. Now I’m trying to decide whether to return the laptop or the Oculus Quest....
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 833
    3Jane
    @Nihilate It must be the CPU letting you down. I have an Acer Triton with an RTX 2080 Max Q (which is similar in performance on paper to the RTX 2060 standard version) I’ve had no issues playing games with Link or VD. My laptop has an i7 9750h. 
  • NihilateNihilate Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yeah it’s definitely the Ryzen 7 4800 processor that is the problem. But from what I hear it’s a great processor so I’m not sure I want to return it just because the Oculus Quest is not ready to support it.
  • Dontbethatguy24Dontbethatguy24 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    agitokazu said:
    Alright I'll contact Oculus thank you so much
    Hey I'm having the same issue with the Zephyrus G15. Did you ever figure out how to fix this? And how do we go about reporting an issue?
  • Dontbethatguy24Dontbethatguy24 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Nihilate said:
    I just bought the same laptop with the RTX 2060 and I had the exact same problem. I bought this laptop to use with Oculus Quest and its a complete bust. Honestly I’m glad to hear someone else went they this so I know it’s not just my computer.  Very disappointing to say the least. Now I’m trying to decide whether to return the laptop or the Oculus Quest....
    Did you ever decide to return it? I'm in the same position lol...Just got it yesterday
  • afronobafronob Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same for me, I just buy an "ASUS TUF566IV-AL155T" with a RTX 2060 Nvidia Graphic Card and Ryzen 7 4800H processor. First I had to change my nvidia parameters for Oculus software because he was not able to detect the good  GPU chipset, then I run the oculus compatibilty tester to see that my processor are not able to run with it either. Damn! But finally SteamVR doesn't seems to have a problem and Oculus neither. So I be able to play with my Oculus link, except that I was a message who tells me that Oculus cannot... This is boring. Please Oculus do something !