New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Touch controllers for original Rift?

bhendelbhendel Posts: 2
NerveGear
Sorry if this has been asked, but I can't get a straight answer. I own the original Oculus Rift (not the S) and I am wondering if I can buy the Oculus Touch controllers? Oddly, when I search for regular Oculus Rift accessories, it only shows the LEFT controller and it says "Compatible with Oculus Rift." No Right controller? Under Rift S accessories, I can see both left and right, but the right says "Requires Oculus Rift S"!

So, apologize for my confusion but:
1. Can I add Oculus Touch to my regular Oculus (pre-S)
2. Are there versions of the "Oculus Touch" different for Rift and Rift S? That is, if I buy the one one the Rift S accessories page, is it not compatible with my regular Rift?
3. Why does the Right-hand controller not exist on the regular Oculus accessories page?

Thank you!

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited April 26
    Rift S Touch Controllers are very different to Rift CV1 Touch Controllers, and they are not interchangeable.
    Sounds like Oculus has sold out of right Touch controllers for CV1. You could send a message to support asking if they plan on having any more, my guess would be no based on how they have done with the cable.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,547 Volunteer Moderator
    The CV1 (original Rift) Touch controllers are different to the Rift-S / Quest Touch controllers. They aren't compatible, the CV1 Touch only work with the CV1 headset and the Rift-S Touch only work with the Rift-S and Quest.

USA and Canada ran out of CV1 right controllers a while ago, but the rest of the world still had them. But I just checked on the store, the entire world's supply of right controllers has run out, none of the 23 regions are selling them any more.

Since the CV1 would have stopped production a year ago when the Rift-S was released, I wouldn't be surprised if no new right controllers become available.

At the moment, the only way to get a right Touch controller for the original Rift is to either find one on Ebay or get somebody you know overseas to buy one and send it to you.

• bhendelbhendel Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Ouch.  Ok, thanks for the info gang!
  • ZombiePukeZombiePuke Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I also just broke my CV1 right controller. this unavailability is not acceptable. so i just have to throw my oculus away because of this? what the hell?
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    I also just broke my CV1 right controller. this unavailability is not acceptable. so i just have to throw my oculus away because of this? what the hell?

No, you don't need to throw it away. I'm left handed, so you can have my right controller for only US$2,500 plus postage.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 828
    3Jane
    You can still buy a second hand set from ebay, better than having to buy a whole now VR setup. ;)

• dhrtodhrto Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2
    Yup, this is all an evil corporate plan from Oculus Facebook to let force the user to buy their new stuff, so they can enjoy all the new improvements the stockholders are happy. Now just run along and go buy the Rift S with the new controllers, which they already dropped active support for after merely a year  >:)
    NerveGear
    I searched online for hours yesterday. There were only 2 (TWO) !!!!! right hand controllers for sale (only second hand, no new), on the entire f.ing internet. One in Canada, one in UK. Bought the used one in UK. 138 USD including postage. What a joke. Oh man. My brain hurts.
  • Kaito_KazeKaito_Kaze Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I searched online for hours yesterday. There were only 2 (TWO) !!!!! right hand controllers for sale (only second hand, no new), on the entire f.ing internet. One in Canada, one in UK. Bought the used one in UK. 138 USD including postage. What a joke. Oh man. My brain hurts.
    where did you get it? I only found 200-300$ one in amazon
    NerveGear
    I found on ebay only. Search ebay US and ebay UK, if there are any left.
    NerveGear
    ebay co uk/itm/283859662806?ul_noapp=true
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,391 Valuable Player
    I'm amazed at this - just a couple of weeks ago I was able to order new Touch v1 from Oculus, but I cancelled.

In my case it was the left one that was broken internally after I botched fixing the sticky trigger - fixed the trigger but lost translational tracking. I might yet be able to fix it but I wanted to be sure I had a working one.

I decided to try ebay instead and ended up buying one in as new condition for £40 - there were plenty of individual controllers on there then (in the UK).
    I was really pleased that Oculus were still selling them - I much prefer them over Touch v2 - so it's a real shame if they've stopped. And somewhat baffling as they insisted S was not an upgrade for CV1 owners. I love my Index and am happy with Quest, but I still use CV1 regularly and hope to do so for a long time yet. It's the most comfortable for longer sessions and the best audio, too, imho.