New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Unbelievable! Valve fixes the Rift because Oculus won't

Latest SteamVR driver includes this in its update notes:

Oculus:
Fix for application performance activating ASW

And... it absolutely works. The stuttering introduced in the December Oculus update has been a major and vocal problem for alot of people. After 6 months of smooth playback, I haven't been able to use my Rift S at all in either Oculus' software or in Steam without horrible stuttering. We have all known its related to ASW but Oculus has done nothing to address it. Now Steam releases this fix and I can use my Rift again for the first time in 4.5 months, but ONLY in Steam. Everything is still completely broken through Oculus' software. That blows my mind that I can only use Oculus' hardware in someone else's software. It also blows my mind that Valve/Steam stepped up and fixed a rival's headset performance for them that Oculus themselves won't even bother with.

I can now fire up a complex game like Half-Life Alyx in Steam (which stuttered horribly before this update) and now it plays perfectly. But if I simply open up Oculus Home its a stuttering mess. I sincerely hope that this is horribly embarrassing for Oculus and that it lights a fire under them to fix this issue.

In the meantime I cannot see any reason in the world why anyone would buy games through Oculus instead of Steam.
Oculus Rift S, CV1
Intel i7-8700K
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
16GB DDR4 x 2
4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
Windows 10 Home

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,047 Valuable Player
    Seems unbelievable to me.  I’ve always used OTT to turn off asw ok.  I guess if it now finally works ok for you that’s great.  Have you tried Revive to play your Oculus store games?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    I've tried using OTT to turn off ASW or use the fixed FPS setting and it helps the stuttering but never eliminates it. Obviously I have no idea what is causing the problems under the hood with Oculus but playing with ASW settings is the only thing that has ever had any effect. My support tech understandably is not going to give me the details even if he knew the technicalities, but he confirmed that it is a known bug in the software.

You can use Revive to play an oculus store game in Steam using a Rift headset? I thought it was only for use with the Vive headset?
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    Windows 10 Home
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,047 Valuable Player
    Not sure, it works with my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop.  Worth trying anyway.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 556
    Neo

In the meantime I cannot see any reason in the world why anyone would buy games through Oculus instead of Steam.
    Because running a game without SteamVR costs much less resource than running it with.
    Also, don't be naive, Valve is not a White Knight who rights the wrongs of Evil corporations. If they fixed something with ASW, it was an issue from their side.
    Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
    - Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
    - Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
    - More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
    - Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,292 Valuable Player
    Well since my Rift S is performing flawlessly and always has, I am glad Valve did not manage to break it whilst they were fixing it. Lol.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    edited April 28

Also, don't be naive, Valve is not a White Knight who rights the wrongs of Evil corporations. If they fixed something with ASW, it was an issue from their side.

Really? Because Oculus has admitted that there is a known bug with their software and haven't done anything about it for almost 5 months. Valve is now bypassing whatever this bug is for the first time since Oculus introduced it.  Valve is implementing ASW on Rift through SteamVR better than Oculus can implement ASW in their own software.There are lots of other people in my situation, I hope they test this out too.

And I'm not suggesting that Valve is being benevolent I'm saying they are being responsive. People reported the problem and they did something about it. Meanwhile Oculus continues to ignore it. Last couple updates haven't even addressed Rift performance issues.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    Windows 10 Home
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,053 Valuable Player
    edited April 28

I can see a few ;)

Might be able to find many more reasons, but I think the above is enough to illustrate my point...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Art3mis
    Ok well obviously I mean when you have the choice. Exclusives will always be exclusive.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    Windows 10 Home
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,158
    Wintermute
    Man, what I'm reading in the Internet is about SteamVR Overlay which was bugged and conflicted with ASW on Oculus. They fixed their own bug AFAIK, that's great in any case ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  GTX1080 OC 10%, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,822 Valuable Player
    Yea they fixed an issue on their end.
    There have been some folks with issues since December but thats is not the norm.
    It is a software conflict somewhere on their end.

I have never had an issue but I play all my games off the oculus home I dont play on steam.
    Though I have purchased No mans land and Hellblade on steam i should prob test and see if either give me these stuttering issues.
    WAAAGH!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,292 Valuable Player
    edited April 28
    I play Steam games, I play Oculus games, I play other games like combat flight sims, one with Oculus support and one with Steam VR support. I also use Open Composite for one of my Steam VR games.

My Rift S has performance a champ through all revisions of the software since getting it last May.
    Based on what I see on the forums here, the noise to signal ratio is really rather low considering how many folks view all the threads in the forum. I doubt there are any game breaking issues that are widespread, if there were there would be hundreds of folks screaming to high heaven about them.
    Like the time way back when Oculus let a digital certificate expire and the Rift went dark for a day. There were thousands of posts screaming.

For the few that are experiencing game breaking issues, I would strongly suggest a very good look at their system and/or software they run.  Failing that, then with a support ticket.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    For the few that are experiencing game breaking issues, I would strongly suggest a very good look at their system and/or software they run.  Failing that, then with a support ticket.
    I'm glad that your Rift works for you and I'm sure it works similarly for the vast majority of users. But this problem is very real, very well documented, and very much on Oculus' end. If you haven't noticed the incredible number of people complaining about it than you are not looking, probably because you aren't experiencing it. For what it is worth, I see this issue talked about alot more in Oculus' Reddit than here. Yes we are still very much in the minority but that is because they are selling millions of units and either way its absolutely no excuse to let this issue linger so long. And as proof that Oculus admits the problem is on their end I'm just going to quote my support ticket.

Thank you for your continued patience. I'm happy to provide you with an update here.

We've identified what we believe to be the primary culprit for this behavior, and we are currently awaiting verification from our testing teams that it will resolve this issue for all affected users. Once we have this verification, we will be ready to release a fix publicly. This may happen in our next version update, or via a hotfix, depending on how soon we intend to release our next version update. Again, this will only happen once we've verified that this will successfully resolve the issue for all affected issues.

I could look into your replacement options for you, however a replacement will not resolve this issue, as it is software-based.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns here.

Kind regards,

Tyver
    AR\VR Support

And yeah that was like 2 updates, 3 PTCs ago, and almost 4 months of fighting with them to convince them to actually look at the problem.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    Windows 10 Home
  • MysticNinjaSoulMysticNinjaSoul Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    The real reason is they do not give a rat's ass about the Rift or Rift-S anymore. They are caring more about the Quest and it is making me want to sell my Rift-S completely