New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Any way to add friends or play games with them when I do not have a Facebook account?

Black_Jack_62Black_Jack_62 Posts: 2
NerveGear
Is there any way that I can add friends or respond to their invites when I do not have a Facebook account?

My son recently bought a Quest and I would like to play game with him, but I will not get a Facebook account.  I have not ever had a Facebook account and I certainly will not get a Facebook account for any reason.

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,959 Valuable Player
    There is no way to use any Oculus "social" functions without a linked Facebook account.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,056 Volunteer Moderator
    While I sympathise (I don't have or want a facebook social network account), don't forget even without it you are using an oculus (owned by facebook) account (on facebook servers) to post on an oculus (owned by facebook) forum (hosted by facebook) about a facebook built vr headset running on facebook software. It's already facebook all the way down.

My main issue is that Facebook is embedded so deep in the entire Oculus ecosystem that it's pointless redundancy to have to also attach a Facebook social network account when an Oculus account gives Facebook my real name, email, phone number, credit card number, home address and VR purchase history.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 516
    Neo
    edited April 30
    Is there any way that I can add friends or respond to their invites when I do not have a Facebook account?

My son recently bought a Quest and I would like to play game with him, but I will not get a Facebook account.  I have not ever had a Facebook account and I certainly will not get a Facebook account for any reason.
    As an InfoSec professional, I can certainly understand the privacy aspects for not wanting to do so.  With that said, I'm going to make a "thinly veiled" suggestion...
    • Unless one of your reasons includes ...the principle of the thing...,  keep in mind the "real name/ID police" only pay attention to "obvious things," because after all, they're only bots  Also, if you already have an Oculus account, you can freely link & unlink to any number of Facebook accounts, at will.  Ditto for the email account used with the Facebook account.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,264 Volunteer Moderator
    As kojack said, the account you’re using to post here is provided by Facebook, so in that sense you already do have a Facebook account.

I didn’t have or want a FB account before they added the requirement, but I didn’t want to lose the ability to interact with my Oculus friends list. So, I created a bare-bones account—name, email address, date of birth, and the same image that I use as my forum avatar for my photo. I didn’t provide any information that they didn’t already have from my Oculus account. I don’t use the FB account for any social media purposes—I don’t add friends, post photos, or click “Like” on random internet pages. The account link is a back-end thing; your Oculus friends don’t see it, and you don’t expose your real name to people you play VR games with. I can tell you that having the account hasn’t impacted my life in any measurable way. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • FelicityCFelicityC Posts: 164
    Art3mis
    edited April 30
    I have a separate facebook account I use only for linking to mobile games, etc, that support cloud saving over facebook. Oddly enough, I've found facebook saving of accounts to be IMMEASURABLY more stable and reliable than google, ingame, etc. Facebook saves have always worked well for me and it's kind of hilarious since it's not good for anything else. I use it for no social networking reasons aside from occasionally watching people who stream on there when they aren't on twitch.

Google logins barely work half the time. Facebook's works 100% of the time. It's an odd thing since Facebook stuff tends to be... questionable.
    8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun
    FelicityC said:

Google logins barely work half the time. Facebook's works 100% of the time.

Given that Oculus accounts and this forum's accounts are now Facebook's accounts, you may want to revise your 100% theory.

A quick search will reveal many complaints over a long period of time about the inability to log in to this forum.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,090
    Wintermute

Yeah unfortunatly a FB account is now a mandatory requirement if you want to continue to use the social aspect of any Oculus VR HMDs, and i can quite understand your hesitation to such requirements, not like FB has a sterling record when it comes to peoples privacy, but all you can really do at this point is either make a completly fake account and hope FB don't close it, ditch Oculus hardware completly and go for a third party HMD that uses steamVR, or if you and your son have a PC that can run VR games you could also use the link cable to connect your Quest to said PC's and use steamVR to meet and play games, and yes i have no doubt none of these are the answers you wanted to hear but at this point those seem to be the only solutions to this.

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 556
    Neo
    edited May 1
    Hey there,
    A lot of games offer internal friends list. I'd like to say all multiplayer games do it, but I'm really not sure. At least they should.
    Just check if your games have an internal friend list system. If they do, use those. If they don't, maybe do a barebones Facebook account like someone sugested.
    Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
    - Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
    - Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
    - More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
    - Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • Knightshot42Knightshot42 Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    This sounds highly unethical. I purchased my 2 Oculus systems over a year ago. One reason was that they had a separate social networking like Steam the feature they offered,  Communications is a very necessary part of gaming. Now I have been banned from Facebook because they say I do not meet their social standards and am now being denied the ability to invite friends to games which is a PRETTY BIG PART OF GAMING.  This has put me out of touch with my other Ocullus friends who I had and now can not game multiplayer in my own home even with my wife and grand children on our two head sets. This should have nothing to do with Facebook and the fact that a person could encounter a problem and then be denied necessary services renders my hardware purchase and many of my games worthless :(   I have honored and followed ALL rules here without incident.
    Neo
    ...I have been banned from Facebook because they say I do not meet their social standards...
    Pray tell, how is that?  Seriously, tell us.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,363 Volunteer Moderator
    I was resisting the urge to ask.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
    Neo
    I was resisting the urge to ask.
    I was waiting for him to say something like denied because... registered offender... or something like that.
    :o
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
    Neo
    That's really the only "standards thing" I can think of for being denied a Facefook account.
    Brain Burst
    edited May 20
    Hey guys I am 66 and opinionated and take my freedoms seriously. As outspoken as I may be I am also big on stats and playing by the rules.  I did post an article about the Nobel Scientist that Facebook intercepted and claimed to be fake news, but it was a real article and his findings have been rebuked by some and that to me is censorship. I posted a Canadian flag upside down as a social protest which is totally legal in Canada although it may be offensive to those who don't realize a flag represents the state a country is in at any given moment.  So for whatever reason they remove essential gaming features that should not require status at any Social Networking sites.  That is about the worst thing I can think of I did on Facebook and for that that they have deleted 14 years of memories and disconnected me with my family and friends. This system should be stand alone with an option to additionally integrate FB for features they may wish to offer but I can't see this as a good business move by making Oculus a closed house system. Then again I do have my steam games.   But to take over a company and then deny the features to people who grandfathered in and spent a lot of money because for they don't feel the personal meets the social standards of their Social Networking site is just plain criminal in my book.  I have a few friends on here, my buddy across town just bought one so we can game together and we can't even figure out how to do an invite. Regardless am I missing something here? Is there a way to invite my grand kids and wife into games on my Oculus without a Facebook membership?  I can live without Facebook but  taking away services I paid for is another thing :(

Brain Burst
    edited May 21
    "I was waiting for him to say something like denied because... registered offender... or something like that"
    Just a bit more background on myself.  I have two married daughters, my wife (3rd) is 14 years younger than myself and has two kids one married and in our combined families I have a son, three daughters, two grand sons and one grand daughter and we all were having a great time when they visited playing on the two Oculus systems we have here.  I am respected within our town and have contributed to community quite a bit over the years. It would appear the only people that do not like me are Facebook. However one of my friends from the USA just posted a note that Facebook has been censoring negative posts about our prime minister and I did share a post and my comments on many occasions <stating my political opinions>.  So this is who I am as well as an avid gamer, grandfather, father and husband. Denying me the services for which I bought the headset is nothing less than stealing in my book!
    Just to avoid a ban on this forum, you'll need to play by the rules we have which are pinned to the first page. Although Facebook now owns Oculus, the rules pre-date that so you may find some even less to your liking than Facebook's!
    Anyway, political discussions including those about gun control would be a no-no. Everywhere has rules, ours seem to work ok.
    Brain Burst
    Thanks.  That was not a discussion about the guns. It was a response to the question as to what I thought FB might have banned me for because I really do not know.  This is actually the first time I have even used the forum.  I just want to play my games with my grand kids and friends and use the features I started out with. I did read the rules before posting. Would you like me to edit the post ?
    Yeah, I understand the context but maybe just to say it was about gun control without repeating the views would have been a good way to keep within the rules. Anyway, let's move on.
    Brain Burst
    There I removed it. I respect rules on forums.  I am an owner of a 67,000 member forum and we have over 30 volunteers running it.  It is a thankless job and I have great respect for those who donate their time to keep it running peacefully. We also don't allow political discussions :)  Anyway I appreciate how you handled my indiscretion. Very unfortunate Facebook does not show the same courtesies to its members. It was one of the reasons I bought an Oculus ....because it was independent of Facebook ;)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,306 Valuable Player
    There I removed it. I respect rules on forums.  I am an owner of a 67,000 member forum and we have over 30 volunteers running it.  It is a thankless job and I have great respect for those who donate their time to keep it running peacefully. We also don't allow political discussions :)  Anyway I appreciate how you handled my indiscretion. Very unfortunate Facebook does not show the same courtesies to its members. It was one of the reasons I bought an Oculus ....because it was independent of Facebook ;)
    However but owned by Facebook. 
    ;) 
    No surprise really the direction they are taking.
    I am a big fan of my Rift S, and Rift CV1 prior to that. I so wish Oculus would take the lead again on PC-VR develpment...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited May 20
    Thanks for editing you comment @Knightshot42 we tend to not delete or edit comments unless they're obviously offensive but as you know the political  (or religious) stuff can pretty quickly take on an unpleasant life of their own.
    Brain Burst
    edited May 20
    I discovered I can actually log in to Dead and Buried, start a game and then invite a friend, however, the question would then be how do I invite my buddy when he just got his set so is not listed in my established friends list?  I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over. I honestly do not think I would have purchased the two Oculus sets when I did if they had stated I would need to link my Facebook to my Oculus account to use the features a year down the road.   Having a 'free to use' social media site and banning people from it is one thing, BUT when taking money from customers for hardware and services it is highly unethical to diminish those services or render the key features unavailable after the fact. They should have made provisions for non-Facebook users to continue to access the Oculus system features that were advertised and that they expected.  Then the could have introduce the Facebook link as an option with additional features. I wonder how many unhappy people there are out there that either didn't want Facebook or couldn't have Facebook.
  • TriniaXTriniaX Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 21
    Its a cheek that I am compelled to use Facebook and I don't want to use it. There are peoples that give a f*** off Facebook. It should be my choice without restriction.

I discovered I can actually log in to Dead and Buried, start a game and then invite a friend, however, the question would then be how do I invite my buddy when he just got his set so is not listed in my established friends list?  I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over. I honestly do not think I would have purchased the two Oculus sets when I did if they had stated I would need to link my Facebook to my Oculus account to use the features a year down the road.   Having a 'free to use' social media site and banning people from it is one thing, BUT when taking money from customers for hardware and services it is highly unethical to diminish those services or render the key features unavailable after the fact. They should have made provisions for non-Facebook users to continue to access the Oculus system features that were advertised and that they expected.  Then the could have introduce the Facebook link as an option with additional features. I wonder how many unhappy people there are out there that either didn't want Facebook or couldn't have Facebook.

I couldn't agree more.
    However, this has been "discussed over and over in other threads for a long time. You will get no official response. The only other response you will get is......"I don't see why it's a problem, all you have to do is make a fake Facebook account and link it".
    Those people are missing the point. A "social/friends" system was in place before and was constantly developed and improved. That system, which people bought into has been closed to everybody except Facebook account holders". It just ain't right.

Neo
    edited May 21
    I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over.
    Yes, Facebook purchased Oculus in March of 2014.  The Facebook social features were not turned on until December of 2019, and were announced in an Oculus website blog post, along with changes to the Oculus user privacy policy.  The impact of the privacy policy changes are addressed in this FAQ.  So it wasn't a "big secret."
    edited May 21
    ... I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over. I honestly do not think I would have purchased the two Oculus sets when I did if they had stated I would need to link my Facebook to my Oculus account to use the features a year down the road.  Having a 'free to use' social media site and banning people from it is one thing, BUT when taking money from customers for hardware and services it is highly unethical to diminish those services or render the key features unavailable after the fact. They should have made provisions for non-Facebook users to continue to access the Oculus system features that were advertised and that they expected.  Then the could have introduce the Facebook link as an option with additional features. I wonder how many unhappy people there are out there that either didn't want Facebook or couldn't have Facebook.
    Facebook acquired Oculus in March 2014, just before they announced the DK2, so it has been a Facebook company for as long as you've owned their products. It may be annoying that they've shifted Oculus closer to the parent company and added account requirements, but it's really not that surprising.
    Furthermore, All digital services (like Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc) reserve the right to ban you and cut off your access to services and even paid content, if you break their rules. I would recommend that you focus on your Facebook problem, and either dispute your ban and try to get your account unlocked, or make a new account and try not to violate their terms and conditions with that one.
    Your other option is to use alternate social services like Steam to connect with friends, but obviously that doesn't help you with matchmaking in Oculus platform games.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Neo
    And FYI, AltspaceVR has been owned by Microsoft since 2017.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,053 Valuable Player
    Just create a dummy account and don't go anywhere near it again. You don't even need to use your own name.

Problem solved.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Just create a dummy account and don't go anywhere near it again. You don't even need to use your own name.

Problem solved.
    I've seen several people complain that linking a FB account with a different name changed their real name in their Oculus account, which could have ramifications for payments, shipments, etc. There have also been instances of FB asking for ID verification when the name isn't legit, or just straight-up deleting dummy accounts, so that route might not be foolproof.