New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest Link with USB 3 cable was working, now seen as USB 2 connection

FilloaxFilloax Posts: 4
NerveGear

Hello, I was using the USB 3.0 Active Extension Cable by CableCreation (which most reviews say works fine) with the AmazonBasics USB 3 to C adapter (same) for Quest Link, and it worked fine until yesterday.

What I did was try to use some zipties to make the cable/extension joint harder to deattach by error if I accidentally moved it when moving around in VR; not too tight, mind you, I made sure not to bend either the cable ends or the cable wires close to them. Since that had the opposite effect and they were tied together less strongly, I cut the ziptie, and after that the USB 3 cable stopped being recognized as 3, with Oculus app saying it's USB 2.

Now, I have serious doubts I have somehow beat the USB 3 cable into becoming a USB 2 one, but I cannot leave out the possibility. I checked and there are no cuts on the cables around where I cut the zipties. I had this problem a while back and restarting PC + Quest worked (also reinstalling Oculus, I think?), but it's not working this time.

I was using the front panel port before which did work. Now, testing with just the USB C-to-3 Amazon cable seemed to work both on the front and the mobo port, wven if the front one had a weird tracking problem. With the extender, it doesn't seem to work at all from the mobo port (it isn't even seen in the BIOS device listing, while it is in all other cases), while from the front panel it *is* seen but as an USB 2 connection, as above.

Any idea what might fix this?

Comments

  • FelicityCFelicityC Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    edited May 4
    Try flipping the usb-c connector. With an extender, it often means only one side of the usb-c's pins is getting the full power draw. If you damaged that side of it, then you might be outta luck.

    You can use the usbdeview program to verify the exact enumeration it's reporting (2.0 or 3.0).

    Likewise, remove all instances of the quest and any adb/xrsp devices in the device manager if you have ever sideloaded (view devices by connection, and show hidden devices) (you installed those drivers when you sideloaded), reboot both pc and the quest with the quest uninstalled, manually restart the oculus service either via the program itself or the debug tool, then try connecting it.

    I have fixed link every time with one of the above fixes, even when I thought I had damaged something. Only one usb-c cable did I truly ruin; and I'm not even sure I ruined it anymore. I might need to go find it and do these new fixes I found.
    8700k @ 5ghz allcore, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 2x8gb memory @ CL16 1T, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, overheating from OVRserver_x64
  • FilloaxFilloax Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I forgot to tell, the extender is an USB A extender, only C end is the one at the oculus, the cables connect with A joints. So no risk of wrong side there. I will try usbdebview, thanks.
  • FilloaxFilloax Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Ok, this is weird: I have more Oculus devices in the list, but only one (Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device) says it's connected (as USB 2).


    I'll try uninstalling the drivers now.
  • FilloaxFilloax Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Tried removing all devices related to oculus in the device manager, and restarting the service, no luck. Still sees it as USB 2.
  • Remmer_GRemmer_G Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same thing has happened to some people on Rift. For me, removing the extension cable seemed to get it back to USB 3.0, but not a real solution. I installed a PCI USB 3 card I had and used that for my headset, which has it working better.
    My theory is that somehow with driver/firmware updates the Oculus systems are demanding more power from the USB ports.
  • FelicityCFelicityC Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    edited May 7
    Okay, I had to scrap the device issue as a solution and come up with a new hypothesis, because I both stopped using a powered USB hub and it would alternate between working on my mainboard and working in the hub. But now it works perfectly fine just on the mainboard's USB ports.

    The only changes I made were now using oculus tray tool in the start service only on start of OTT and stop on stopping it- essentially what I was doing before with a .bat file, but automated thru that software instead. I was only doing that sometimes before and I think doing it every single time was the answer- also, someone mentioned that using the 'disable link' button instead of directly pulling out the usb or disconnecting it suddenly helped, and I also started doing that, but even if I do end it suddenly it works now as long as the oculus service gets restarted very often.  Leaving the service running 24/7 seems to cause problems and it misreads the usb almost never- and I have been using a 16ft extension + 6ft cable, about to test same extension + 10ft cable

    still 1.8gbps via usb test even at 22 feet with an active extender

    bad software.
    8700k @ 5ghz allcore, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 2x8gb memory @ CL16 1T, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, overheating from OVRserver_x64
Sign In or Register to comment.