New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Are you still having guardian stuttering issues?

StrongitStrongit Posts: 98
Hiro Protagonist
I wanted to bring this again to the forefront as it's still an ongoing issue for me.  Whenever I get close to the guardian boundary and the grid starts to appear I get frame-rate stutters in both native quest apps and through oculus link.  I haven't had any support beyond oculus asking me to exchange my headset which, since I've heard of people with NEW headsets having the problem, I am trying to avoid.  I have the guardian disabled so that games are playable but I don't want to keep using this workaround.

This has been happening since software version 15 and only had minor improvements - I would say about 10 - 15% better than it initially was indicating it's most likely a software problem rather than a hardware problem.  As an aside I have also been much more prone to VR motion sickness since this issue started suggesting there's a more subtle performance problem as well.

Are you still having guardian stuttering issues? 18 votes

Yes, I am still having issues
50% 9 votes
Yes, but it is better than it used to be
5% 1 vote
No, the issue has been fixed
0% 0 votes
No, I never had the issue
44% 8 votes

Comments

• KobriKobri Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    This thing has been driving me insane too after the last couple of updates...

Using the oculus own OVR metrics tool I found out that GPU usage skyrockets when guardian pops up, to be exact it goes from like 23% to 50-60% even while in the home environment!

Needless to say the more demanding games become an unplayable stuttering mess when you get close to the guardian boundaries

Oculus team please address this issue ASAP
  • GamingTC2GamingTC2 Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    How dark is it in your room where you use VR?
  • StrongitStrongit Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    GamingTC2 said:
    How dark is it in your room where you use VR?
    It's well lit. I went through this with oculus support and tried nine different rooms in my house with various lighting conditions. It does the same thing in all of them.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 10
    This may be a weird shot in the dark but if you're having the same issues I am are you also using rechargeable AA batteries?  I thought about this with another post that came up.

EDIT: changed out my batteries and tried beat saber, same thing. Figured it wouldn't change anything.
    Brain Burst
    I highly doubt this issue anything to do with the physical aspect of the guardian system - room lighting, controllers, etc., the problem occurs only when rendering the boundaries!
  • nikidashnikidash Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yep. It's damn annoying because of my small playspace, i can't stretch my arms out without activating the boundaries.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Kobri said:
    I highly doubt this issue anything to do with the physical aspect of the guardian system - room lighting, controllers, etc., the problem occurs only when rendering the boundaries!
    I agree, which is why it's so frustrating when the support team asks you to return your device for a new one when it's clearly a software problem.  It wasn't an issue until version 15 and disabling the guardian in developer options gets rid of the problem completely.  I even posted an unlisted YouTube video demonstrating the problem with and without the guardian and sent support the link at their request and they still wanted to exchange it.
    Brain Burst
    Maybe there is some underlying hardware issue which got exacerbated by the new software updates, who knows...

Strange that not everybody seems affected

How old is your quest? Mine is from the first batches, bought last year in June
    Hiro Protagonist
    Kobri said:
    Maybe there is some underlying hardware issue which got exacerbated by the new software updates, who knows...

Strange that not everybody seems affected

How old is your quest? Mine is from the first batches, bought last year in June
    I bought mine in January so it's fairly new
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,841 Valuable Player
    In order to get my Quest wireless wit Virtual Desktop I needed to put it into Developer mode (google for how to do this).  

Once you do this you you can go to your dashboard, settings, all, developer and disable Guadian like strongit said earlier.  You need to do this every time you reboot your Quest btw.

Lots of Quest wireless guys finds this gets rid of wireless stutters and reduces lag.  Worth trying even without wireless imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Brain Burst

Thank you so much for your patience again regarding this case.

For clarification, there is no known widespread issue with the Oculus Quest currently matching what you have described, suggesting a hardware defect to be far more likely rather than a software problem.

Based on everything we've checked, we would like your current Oculus Quest kit returned for further review and have a replacement Oculus Quest sent to you. Note: this will be a full kit replacement.

This is the final mail from oculus, they insist it is a hw problem indeed :/

It will be a huge downer to get through the whole replacement process only to discover the problem still persists...

I've been playing with the guardian disabled for some time now and even bought a special floor mat

Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 17
    I'm in the same boat.  They want me to get my quest exchanged but it just seems like a software issue to me.  If you decide to swap let me know if that fixes it.

Edit: my headset has developed an issue with the left strap so I've submitted a request to exchange it. If it gets exchanged I'll post here whether the new one has the guardian issue.
    Brain Burst
    I will keep you guys posted, no problem
    Wanna see someone who doesn't have the stuttering run the OVR metrics tool