New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Xbox Series X vs. PlayStation 5

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,317 Valuable Player
edited May 8 in Off-Topic
The upcoming Xbox Series X does look really awesome:

Final Playstation 5 design is still not known, but the dev kit looks like this - I probably like that design better than XBox Series X, but it's a matter of taste ;)

For now it seems specs are in XBox Series X's favor - but not much and it may mean very little in the real world:

More here:

But those 10-12 TFLOPS are really awesome - it's more than a GTX 1080 - or to put 12 TFLOPS into some perspective:

Seems like we're getting high-end gpu performance in both PS5 and XBox Series X. For now it seems only PS5 will support VR. 

For the first time ever I might feel slightly tempted to buy an XBox or PS, lol. I've been PC all the way since Doom in 1993. Still PS5 with VR would seem most interesting to me. This kind of power in a console with VR support could be a massive game changer  B)
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,317 Valuable Player
    edited May 8
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,668 Valuable Player
    edited May 8
    Tflops are a bit misleading because it's an AMD card. They tend to have much higher TFLOPS than Nvidia but lower FPS. I'd wager it's at best on par with a 1080. A 1070 TI at worst. Still, it's a huge leap from the OG ps4 and still a nice leap from the pro/one X.

Add on the optimization a closed console system gets and next gen console games are going to look pretty damn good.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 776
    3Jane
    Well the XBX is 6TF and the Pro is 4.2 TF, and they have some simply stunning games being thrown around with what they have, so i can only imagine what these new consoles will offer with all that extra ommph under the hood, should be amazing.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,668 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    Well the XBX is 6TF and the Pro is 4.2 TF, and they have some simply stunning games being thrown around with what they have, so i can only imagine what these new consoles will offer with all that extra ommph under the hood, should be amazing.
    Yea no doubt. Plus RDNA 2 is an x factor here. Remains to be confirmed if the trend of high tflops not translating to high fps will continue.

pyroth309 said:
    Tflops are a bit misleading because it's an AMD card. They tend to have much higher TFLOPS than Nvidia but lower FPS. I'd wager it's at best on par with a 1080. A 1070 TI at worst. Still, it's a huge leap from the OG ps4 and still a nice leap from the pro/one X.

Add on the optimization a closed console system gets and next gen console games are going to look pretty damn good.
    Fully agree - what I take from the latest game talks and hype is that we can expect solid 60 fps gaming in 4K. None of the previous consoles were powerful enough to really drive 4K 60 fps - could be fun to add a PS5 to my Sony 85" 4K 100Hz (maybe 120 Hz for games, haven't checked that out) tv - because you really need 4K for the large TVs. My screen automatically should turn 60 fps into 100/120 fps/hz (due to Sony XR MotionFlow 1000 Hz), of course real 120 fps might be better, but this could be interesting for pancake gaming. Then again, don't what the kids in the couch all day, lol. 

I guess the game I liked the best for XBox Series X (for now) is this one:

Only looked for a few seconds, but didn't see any gameplay trailers. And until I see any solid evidence, nothing compares to Alyx. 

Btw, although Hellblade 2 is an XBox Series X exclusive, it should also be available for PC users - according to this info published yesterday:

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 was surprisingly announced at the Game Awards 2019 with a heart-pumping reveal trailer. The announcement told us that Hellblade 2 is coming to the next-generation Xbox Series X, as well as PC, but it didn't actually reveal a release date.

https://www.techradar.com/news/senuas-saga-hellblade-2-release-date-trailers-news-and-rumors

For now it seems the only confirmed PS5 exclusives are:

- but like Hallblade 2 you should be able to play Godfall using a PC, so that's not really a true exclusive to me, lol. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,073 Valuable Player
    edited May 8
    I'll be getting a PS5 simply for the exclusives much like my PS4 now. I will pass on the Xbox Series X considering I can play the games on Windows 10 PC with my 3000 series Nvidia GPU.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    After watching the XBox Series X game trailers - and the PS5 exclusives - I'm not really impressed. Felt kinda boring. 

But if someone told me: "Did you know that the game play you saw from Horizon Zero Dawn 2 is from the PS5 VR version?" - I'd be like 

Pleasantly Surprised Surprise GIF by Face The Truth - Find  Share

Unfortunately it's a pancake  :( 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,498 Valuable Player
    Pah! Consoles are for PEASANTS!!!

Better to be a member of the PC Master Race any day. 😎
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,209 Valuable Player
    Consoles should never ever EVER be on their sides.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 776
    3Jane
    edited May 9
    snowdog said:
    Pah! Consoles are for PEASANTS!!!

Better to be a member of the PC Master Race any day. 😎

Only PEASANTS chose between todays PC or consoles, but the true master race has a Philips CD-I with mpeg cart. Mahahahahhahahahaha.