New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can you play pirated games on Oculus rift s

kotemotekotemote Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hey, I was wondering if I can play pirated games on Oculus rift like half life alyx.

Comments

• MikeFMikeF Posts: 959
    3Jane
    lol, ban this idiot
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,201 Valuable Player
    Well it was nice knowing you....

@Techy111 do your magic.
  • ItzFlipzItzFlipz Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Probably, but you really shouldn't.
  • JohnnieQuesterJohnnieQuester Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Apart from the ethical issues, this is still a burgeoning industry. Devs could write pancake games with a giant potential audience or write for a small VR audience. I know each person has their own financial situation to consider, but if people pirate VR games, the developers will be less likely to develop for the platform. While there are a few mega-companies making VR games, many games are made by small teams and even single devs. I prefer to support the devs and try to be understanding when a game is 3-4 hours for the same price as a 30 hour pancake game. Pirating will only keep the cost higher for legitimate purchasers like me.

/soapbox
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,517 Valuable Player
    What a stupid idiotic question.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    kojack said:
    Imagine the fun developers could have with copy protection in VR. Like how in Serious Sam 3 if it detects the game is pirated it spawns an immortal pink scorpion that attacks you continuously. Or in Operation Flashpoint it made bullets come out of your gun at a random angle and satchel charges had like a massively enlarged blast radius.

In VR you could fill the game with jump scares, do bad IPD, apply a head rotation offset (so the game is tilted 30 degrees to the side), break all the comfort rules to make people feel sick.
    Or you get transported to a VR courtroom, followed by banishment to a VR prison for however long your banishment is!  And this will have a social aspect to it; as there will be a VR shower, LOL.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 740
    Trinity
    There will always be people who pirate games, but VR is really in its infancy and needs all the help it can.  My experience is that the games are not really that expensive, and the industry really needs our support.  My Rift S almost cost as much as the computer that runs it.  Its cutting edge tech, and I want more game development not less - and not crappy games but really good AAA titles, and thats only going to happen if there is money in it for the devs.  So a message to the OP - please buy your games.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
    Nexus 6
    edited May 16
    Umpa_PC said:
    My Rift S almost cost as much as the computer that runs it.
    I remember paying $600 for my first Z80 chip... just the CPU chip!  Well... okay, my Dad paid for it.
    Trinity
    wuzp said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    My Rift S almost cost as much as the computer that runs it.
    I remember paying $600 for my first Z80 chip... just the CPU chip!
    Mine came in my Zx81 in 1981, cost £69 I think for the complete thing.  What year did you get the Z80 ?
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Nexus 6
    edited May 16
    Umpa_PC said:
    Mine came in my Zx81 in 1981, cost £69 I think for the complete thing.  What year did you get the Z80 ?
    May 1976, for my 16th birthday.  I wanted an 8080 for a homebrew rig I was designing, but bugged my Dad for one of the first Z80 instead.
    Trinity
    Wow - I was still playing with my Matel Sizzlers then, and did not know what a cpu was......  In 1981 I had my first sniff of the computer drug, and was hooked for life. lol
    Nexus 6
    Hey, I remember Sizzlers.  I think they're called "Charge Ups" now.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,407 Volunteer Moderator
    wuzp said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    May 1976, for my 16th birthday.  I wanted an 8080 for a homebrew rig I was designing, but bugged my Dad for one of the first Z80 instead.
    I learned Z80 programming at college in 92. Our classroom had a bunch of Micro Professor training boards, we observed how the Z80 behaved with oscilloscopes.
    Of course at that point I'd been self taught for maybe 8 years and I already knew 6502, 6809 and 68000 assembly, so Z80 wasn't hard from a programming point of view, but working with the hardware to understand the bus timings and stuff was fascinating.

68000 was awesome, very nice chip. But ARM is probably the most interesting one I've done assembly on. So many cool little features like how you can use odd or even addresses to change between 16/32 bit mode on the fly or how it was big and little endian at the same time, also based on addresses.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 17
    We had to do some 68000 assembly as part of our electrical & electronic engineering course during training. Simultaneously the most interesting and least useful part of a 2 year course for an electrical engineering career.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,129
    Wintermute
    Ok, back on topic guys! : It was really painful at that time to have a decent copy of a game using 2 audio tape recorder... ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Nexus 6
    edited May 17
    YoLolo69 said:
    Ok, back on topic guys! : It was really painful at that time to have a decent copy of a game using 2 audio tape recorder... ;)
    And when the TRS-80 came out, I hand disassembled (read "pirated") the ROM BASIC onto several sheets of quad-paper, hand patched it for my homebrew rig, keyed it in by hand, and dumped it out to a C-120 tape using Kansas City Interface.  Later, I replaced the KC Interface with a Tarbell one and switched to Tarbell BASIC; which took even longer to load off the tape!
    YoLolo69 said:

I seem to remember very basic cheap recorders, without noise reduction did the best job (I never did anything like that). On the Spectrum tapes you could record over the loading screen segment with one you made yourself with custom graphics and text (I never did that either :| ).
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Imagine the fun developers could have with copy protection in VR. Like how in Serious Sam 3 if it detects the game is pirated it spawns an immortal pink scorpion that attacks you continuously. Or in Operation Flashpoint it made bullets come out of your gun at a random angle and satchel charges had like a massively enlarged blast radius.

In VR you could fill the game with jump scares, do bad IPD, apply a head rotation offset (so the game is tilted 30 degrees to the side), break all the comfort rules to make people feel sick.
    Nice idea, but the problem is when innocent people get caught in the crossfire - has happened to me with expensive products I've legally purchased yet somehow ended up on a black list with my activation number and been unable to use my expensive software again (and devs who just aren't interested in helping - here's looking at you, PMDG).

Nexus 6
    JD-UK said:
    kojack said:

Nice idea, but the problem is when innocent people get caught in the crossfire - has happened to me with expensive products I've legally purchased yet somehow ended up on a black list with my activation number and been unable to use my expensive software again (and devs who just aren't interested in helping - here's looking at you, PMDG).
    It's easier to swat somebody onto the no-fly list; than it is for them to get off   >:)
    Didn't Codemasters do something similar with one of their Dirt games? their protection allowed for a pirated game to be played but it became increasingly unstable so this version became common on pirate sites because it seemed to work... but it was only after playing for a few hours that things gradually started to bug. They just had to make sure their legit version is bug-free.

I like the idea of the Japan dating sim (where else) where the pirated game is playable but the girl just never likes the player. Must be depressing if computerised girls don't even like you.
    Nexus 6
    edited May 17
    Must be depressing if computerised girls don't even like you.
    Occasionally, I'll try hitting up on Cortana, Siri and Alexa; just for their reactions   o:)
    JD-UK said:
    Nice idea, but the problem is when innocent people get caught in the crossfire
    Very true. I generally believe it's not worth the effort to fight pirates, instead find ways to win people over.

There was a compression program for the Amiga that was pretty cool, but the developer said he had added a copy protection system that would start deleting random files on your hard drive if it detected it was a pirated version. Yeah, no thanks. I don't trust any solo developer to make a dangerous system like that flawless enough that there could never be false positives.

One of the Spiro The Dragon games removed a single gem on level 3 for the pirated version, making it impossible to finish. Most pirate groups didn't play the game far enough to spot that.

I've often told my students (jokingly, but slightly serious too) that you can't stop pirates. So why not do the one thing left: deny them the credit. Pirate groups rush to be the first to release a cracked game. Release a crack of your own game under a fake group name first! If anybody is going to get credit, it might as well be the creators. :)

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 772
    3Jane
    kojack said:

Let's make it even more difficulut,  bring back the hardware piracy dongle, make one that is integrated into the headband of the HMD and is basically a beartrap around your head, Saw movie style wise, and you have to place the HMD on your head and run a legit version of the game for it to pass the dongle piracy protection.......but if you are running a pirated version SNAP! CRUNCH!.........instant decapitation, and as a bonus it's also 100% guaranteed to stop all piracy because once a pirate has been caught by it they won't pitare again....sure fire success, go fund me here we come.

• furegatofuregato Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited May 17
    Right when I bought my headset I managed to play "generic" version of quite a few games that I thought was overpriced, but then I waited for some nice discounts and bought them all. Some generic version just didn't work at all.
    Now I just buy originals on discount. They get discounted very often! I just add them to my wish-list and check every week for good discounts on the Steam Store and buy them when it gets to a good price. I also use steamdb.info to check if the discount is real or just a click bait.
    Most VR games are single player, so there is no real rush to play with friends at launch anyway...
    OmegaM4N said:
    Let's make it even more difficulut,  bring back the hardware piracy dongle,
    Those (well, not the beartrap version) are still around. My college has a large audio production department, some high end audio software still require USB dongles to run. Students have to sign one out from the tech department to use the software.

X-Plane still has a USB dongle for commercial use (costs $820 for the dongle). Version 10 also needed a dongle if you didn't want to play with the dvd in the drive.

Back on the amiga I had some program (what the hell was it? Can't remember) that needed a joystick port dongle. I tested with a multimeter, it just closed the up and down joystick lines (which you could never have using a real joystick). I made a clone of it using just a db9 plug and some solder, didn't even need wire. :)

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 772
    3Jane
    ^^On the Amiga and Atari ST it could have been either B.A.T, or Robocop 3, both came with a hardware dongle that had to be in joyport 2 if i remember correctly, and if you lost the dongle you were out of luck, fantastic way to have drm, i remember B.A.T also came with a enhanced sound cart that plugged into the back of the ST....wish i had kept them all instead of being a complete pillock and ditching everything each time i moved onto the next new thing, but i learned my lesson, still have my Philips CD-I, can't wait until that becomes popular again. lol
    I've still got a copy of Tomahawk for the Spectrum lying around somewhere which had Lenslok… a prism you put over a pattern on the screen that decoded it into letters to enter before the game could be launched. I think elite was the first game to use it, seemed pretty clever at the time.