New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why Oculus doesn't have shipment to Israel?

HexamooneHexamoone Posts: 2
NerveGear
I am an Israeli citizen and I wanted a quest/rift s since the release date, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who wants a quest or a rift s in Israel. Oculus, if you see this, add the option to ship to Israel please. WE ARE A COUNTRY!

Best Answer

Answers

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,430 Valuable Player
    You will have to ask Oculus.

support.oculus.com

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,759 Volunteer Moderator
    Unfortunately there's a lot of places that miss out. There are 197 countries in the world, Oculus ships to 23 of them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 516
    Neo
    kojack said:
    Unfortunately there's a lot of places that miss out. There are 197 countries in the world, Oculus ships to 23 of them.
    Having spent much of my life designing "weapons of mass destruction," I feel qualified to address the question.  Oculus and other consumer products fall into the category of "dual use technology."  One person's gaming system is another person's heads-up guidance display.  I can assure you that everyone who directly orders an Oculus product, at a minimum has their ordering and shipping info matched and submitted against several "lists."  And for those whose shipments are going outside the U.S., Oculus is obligated to obtain an export license on your behalf.
    Yep. Also the fact that every Oculus headset includes wireless hardware means potential approval by regulatory bodies in each region.

I once bought a Beagleboard. It's an ARM Cortex A8 based mini computer board by Texas Instruments. It was basically the original ancestor of the Raspberry Pi, a little circuit board prototyping computer. But they has insane restrictions on shipping, even to Australia. I had to sign a document from the Department Of Energy that I wasn't working with a list of companies or countries with terrorist ties.
    The reason they went crazy on that product was because it's firmware included some encryption algorithm which was under export restriction.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Neo
    kojack said:
    Yep. Also the fact that every Oculus headset includes wireless hardware means potential approval by regulatory bodies in each region.
    Good catch.  The 5ghz WiFi band channels are different among US and European/Asian countries.  And we may NEVER see an Oculus with WiFi 6 because it uses an entirely new frequency band.
  • Romlevy32Romlevy32 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hexamoone said:
    I am an Israeli citizen and I wanted a quest/rift s since the release date, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who wants a quest or a rift s in Israel. Oculus, if you see this, add the option to ship to Israel please. WE ARE A COUNTRY!
    I have to add that in israel, if I want to buy an oculus quest it cost around 1500$ and its insane!!!
    Neo
    Romlevy32 said:
    I have to add that in israel, if I want to buy an oculus quest it cost around 1500$ and its insane!!!
    Since Israel is not on the official list of countries Oculus is permitted to ship to; you are effectively paying gray market prices.
  • HexamooneHexamoone Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    On amazon it cost 750$ to isreal instad of 399$ this is insane
    ik, but lbh, nobody is paying those prices....
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Hexamoone said:
    ik, but lbh, nobody is paying those prices....

You might be surprised. Back in April I paid $799 for my Quest, because the only ones who had Quests in stock were the scalpers, and even they were running out. I don't regret buying my Quest, although I do regret not being patient enough to get one for actual market price. On the other hand, because I was willing to pay so much more then the market price, I was enjoying my Quest for 2 months before they finally were back in stock.
  • ShalevHaham_ShalevHaham_ Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I bought the rift s, but amazon takes 200$ just for shipping to here! (Israel)
    so I paid 600$ (something like 1800 israeli shekels, instead of 400$ (1300 shekels)
    it was a few months ago, but this is the cheapest headset you can get. please ship to israel.
    Neo
    so I paid 600$ (something like 1800 israeli shekels, instead of 400$ (1300 shekels)
    it was a few months ago, but this is the cheapest headset you can get. please ship to israel.
    It's not that they don't want to... it's that they are not allowed to.
  • ShalevHaham_ShalevHaham_ Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    wuzp said:
    It's not that they don't want to... it's that they are not allowed to. 

what do you mean? not allowed? why?
    Neo
    edited August 20
    The Oculus headset is a "dual use technology."  Just as easily as you can play games with it; you can also use it for military applications.  Case in point... this week is the 3rd year of the DARPA Alpha Dogfight Trial.  On Thursday, Aug 20th (13:30 EDT), a human F-16 pilot will engage an AI pilot in VR.  I saw a walk-through of the cockpit the human will use (today) and it features a RIFT S.  Oculus is only approved to ship to certain countries, by the US State Department; because of export control restrictions.  The "logic" is that if DARPA can adopt a RIFT S to fly an F-16 (real or virtual), so can the Sayeret Matkal.
    Another potential problem is due to the use of wifi and bluetooth in the headsets, countries may require their own certification. Israel does have a Mutual Recognition Agreement with the FCC in america, but I don't know much about how that works. But it can affect other countries that don't have the MRA.

Neo
    Unless it says "Sold by and Fulfilled by Amazon," it's a 3rd party vendor.
  • TheGreenYoutuberTheGreenYoutuber Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited August 30

Comment removed by mod.
    Please make yourself aware of the forum rules, thanks.