New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Sellinf Rift S Cables?

McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 66
Hiro Protagonist
edited May 16 in General
Do they sell them anyplace other than Amazon for $100+ and eBay for roughly the same price?

I thought Oculus sold them.
Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks

Comments

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 794
    Trinity
    McNutts said:
    Do they sell them anyplace other than Amazon for $100+ and eBay for roughly the same price?

They did, but now it does not mention them.  Perhaps the Rift S is already going the same way as the original Rift.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 777
    3Jane
    edited May 16
    ^^Is the OP talking about the CV1 cables and not the Rift S cables as that is only a year old?

(Ok i checked the website and the OP is right, no sign of the Rift S cable at all, not even showing out of stock, not even apictire of it, just gone) :o
    Trinity
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^Is the OP talking about the CV1 cables and not the Rift S cables as that is only a year old?

(Ok i checked the website and the OP is right, no sign of the Rift S cable at all, not even showing out of stock, not even apictire of it, just gone) :o
    Exactly...
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    edited May 16
    Umpa_PC said:
    McNutts said:

They did, but now it does not mention them.  Perhaps the Rift S is already going the same way as the original Rift.
    I notice that a few days ago when I was considering ordering one to have as a spare if needed.
    RIP Rift, go Quest!!!
    It may be curtains for the Rift line.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    McNutts said:

I notice that a few days ago when I was considering ordering one to have as a spare if needed.
    RIP Rift, go Quest!!!
    It may be curtains for the Rift line.
    Christ I hope not I only got the thing in January.....   And same as you I thought I would get one as a spare and was horrified to see they are not even on the site anymore.  We don't half hammer the Rift S when we play it.  I always have to un twist the cable every time I have a go.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    Just my guess but I think Oculus may be holding off selling Rift S cables right now due to supply shortages.  They probably have a small stockpile for warranty replacements so best to just contact Oculus support and start a ticket if you need a replacement Rift S cable imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Umpa_PC said:
    Christ I hope not I only got the thing in January.....   And same as you I thought I would get one as a spare and was horrified to see they are not even on the site anymore.  We don't half hammer the Rift S when we play it.  I always have to un twist the cable every time I have a go.
    Every time I use my Rift S I look at the cable at it looks like the insulation is twisted and it makes me very uncomfortable. I treat all of my electronics like gold. I still have every video game console, box, and manual I have had since I was a kid, going from the NES to my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

I want to keep my Rift S until the day I die but if I can't get a replacement cable to have as a backup I might have to return it. It is very important for me to have the peace of mind knowing that my hardware will be there and working if I want to use it in 20-30 years. After playing Half Life: Alyx for an hour and seeing the cable insulation I don't know if my Rift S will be able to last.

If I had a backup cable I would 100% keep my Rift S. As it is now I am thinking of returning it to Best Buy and relying on my Quest to give me my VR fix. With Virtual Desktop, Oculus Link, and the Deluxe Audio Strap it's darn close to the Rift S experience. I'm an Best Buy Elite Plus Platinum rewards member so I have until June 15th to return my Rift S. If I can't get a cable from Oculus by then it will probably be returned unless I find someone that wants to purchase it for the retail+taxes I paid. I really only bought the Quest to bring to my families house every month to play games with the family. I was going to have the Rift S be my main VR headset at home. 

Heck, I would be okay with a way of using normal Display Port and USB cables with the Rift S. I have tons of those cables sitting in a closet. I have done some looking but I haven't found anything other than normal DP & USB extension cables. Those don't work since the port on the Rift S is proprietary.
    Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,507 Valuable Player
    Oculus have never sold replacement cables for the Rift S as far as I'm aware.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    I am sure I have seen them.

• CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    snowdog said:
    Yes they did.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,720 Volunteer Moderator
    They started selling the cable late November last year. I think it was after a UserVoice vote proved popular. Not sure when they stopped but it seems to have been a temp thing.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    edited May 21
    Yes at one time they had replacement cables in stock for the Rift S.
    Wishing I had grabbed one now to have as a spare. 
    I try to take good care of mine but one never knows. Got my Quest with Link as backup though just in case.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited May 23
    They always used to send out new cables (and faceplates) when sending out replacement Rifts, regardless of the problem the RMA'd headset had, that's probably still the case. Maybe they've just decided that's more important if supplies are restricted.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    I talked to one of the customer service agents and they said that they don't sell them at this time, which I already knew. The person did say that they will be selling them in the future so that gives me some hope. I think that the most logical explanation for this is that because of the virus, and the supply chain issues it's causing, they are keeping the ones they have for warranty replacements. Just like someone said earlier.

What a lot of people don't realize is that passenger planes carry a lot of cargo that isn't just people and their checked baggage. Currently flights are down over 90% which means the movement of goods using passenger planes is down over 90% too. Boats take forever to bring things to the US and couple that with the flights being down and we have a situation where the cable is harder to get a hold of.

I was debating if I was going to return my Rift S or not and I'm leaning towards keeping it right now. But who knows, when June 15th rolls around I could panic and return the Rift S just because I can't get a replacement cable right now. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,424 Volunteer Moderator
    You can't buy an Index cable either, I guess it's been abandoned too. :)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,507 Valuable Player
    Didn't realise they had started selling them! I would have bought one if I had known, although the Rift S cable is a LOT better than the OG Rift one. Much thicker so it doesn't curl up like the Rift one did.

My OG Rift cable has holes in it with the wires showing through 😯
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I think a number of people bought them to have a spare, that was a reason a lot of the people voting on UserVoice gave for having them available. When supplies improve, it could well go back on sale. It's important to have them available for warranty returns above all else.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 777
    3Jane
    edited May 22
    At the moment the Rift S is only a year old, so everyone in the EU/UK are covered for a 2 year manufactor warrenty, same with the Valve index, so no one over here really needs to buy a spare at this time, BUT, next year when these things are out of warrenty that is when the fun and games might start if neither have replacement cables for sale.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    edited May 23
    They always used to send out new cables (and faceplates) when sending out replacement Rifts, regardless of the problem the RMA'd headset had, that's probably still the case. Maybe they've just decided that's more important if supplies are restricted.
    Ya, when I RMA'd my Rift cv1 +1 years ago because of a bad audio ribbon Oculus told me to just ship back the headset period (and even sent me a free return label).  When I got it back, although it was refurbished, it looked like new.  Def had new faceplate foam and it also came back with a nice new cable.  I'm still using that cable and it is nice to have my old one, which still worked fine, as a spare.

Audio is still working great because I did the electrical tape fix on its left side to avoid overworking the audio ribbon.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Trinity
    kojack said:
    You can't buy an Index cable either, I guess it's been abandoned too. :)

Do Valve have a record of product abandonment though ?  Oculus seems to have.