New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Baby Monitor on a Quest

pavel.kuzubpavel.kuzub Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hello,

I would like to have a remote camera/webcam overlay in Oculus Quest that can be used as a Baby Monitor when in VR. It should be a wireless solution.
Did anyone solve a problem like this? Thank you

PK
Tagged:

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,156 Valuable Player
    edited May 17
    I need a chihuahua monitor or one day I'm going to step on her, or worse, step on one of her poops, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,423 Volunteer Moderator
    This is definitely possible using a Rift or a Quest in Link mode. I've had a security camera feed overlay so I can see couriers arrive at my house while in VR.
    However the Quest running stand alone has no native overlay ability, and from what I read today Oculus has now blocked side loaded apps like from doing their own overlay over other apps (there was a fitness app that put an overlay on the Quest, Oculus has blocked them from doing that in the v16 update)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,156 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    This is definitely possible using a Rift or a Quest in Link mode. I've had a security camera feed overlay so I can see couriers arrive at my house while in VR.

Does this effect performance much?  I'd like to mount one behind me in order to be able to see my wife coming at me with a butcher's knife or spiking my tea because I've bought too much VR stuff lately, lol!  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,423 Volunteer Moderator
    Yep, you could easily set up a webcam to watch yourself. It's just the standard pull out panel from Dash. You just need an app (like Windows Camera) to pull out of the desktop and into VR.
    Performance wise, it would have an impact, but not much. Then again I've got a threadripper and 2080TI, so I wouldn't notice. :)

• pavel.kuzubpavel.kuzub Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    However the Quest running stand alone has no native overlay ability, and from what I read today Oculus has now blocked side loaded apps like from doing their own overlay over other apps (there was a fitness app that put an overlay on the Quest, Oculus has blocked them from doing that in the v16 update)

Hello Kojack,
    Sounds like technologically it is possible (as fitness app did it) and this is a policy issue.
    Do we have some channels to Oculus product team for a comment if this is a niche they want to take themselves and what is the policy for an app to use an overlay?
    I have a wired solution for a competitive HMD product and this is highly valuable feature for those who must stay alert of the real world while using wireless VR helmet from Oculus.