New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can I download games to my PC for storage, then upload to Quest when wanted

TupeloBTupeloB Posts: 5
NerveGear
Newbie here. My Quest is arriving in three days. I'd like to purchase games online and move to a PC hard drive. Then link to my Quest and upload games to it. Any problems with that?

Comments

• KentobiKentobi Posts: 156
    Art3mis
    Can I ask why? Maybe your WiFi is not great, but what advantage are you looking for by doing that?
  • TupeloBTupeloB Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Two reasons: 1. I can store more on my PC hard drive than on my Oculus Quest 64 gb. I have seen more than 64 gb worth of games that I like. 2. I assume that uploading from my PC is significantly faster than uploading via WIFI, so I wouldn't have to wait as long.
  • KentobiKentobi Posts: 156
    Art3mis
    Maybe what you're asking for can be done with SideQuest,  but - 
    1. Honestly really truly, you have to work to fill up that 64G Quest. I haven't felt the need to delete anything off of my Quest yet, though I have taken off a few things that I know I'm compleltly done with. Even without that, I wouldn't have hit capacity. And you can always redownload.

2.This is probably the bigher deal for you, given slower wifi - but even to the first point, VR games are smaller than you likely expect. They aren't the large downloads you may be expecting as a PC or Console player. I've never felt like that was a hinderance to my VR experience.
    NerveGear
    Thanks. Good info. What concerns me it that when I look at the description of the games, most of them are 1-3 gb. For example Vader Immortal says it is 2.67gb. At that rate I'd fill up my 64gb with 24 games. And when I download from the internet, 1gb takes more than an hour (and that's when everyone in my neighborhood is asleep). I was hoping I wouldn't have to tie up my family internet for a day.
  • phalanxnzphalanxnz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I filled my 64GB Quest in a couple of days. Wish I got the larger model now :-( To answer your questions. If you have a vr ready pc. You can download all your games you want on your pc through steam and play them with the link cable or virtual desktop
    NerveGear
    Thanks. My PC is not VR ready. After I download to my PC can I use link cable to upload to my Quest?
  • phalanxnzphalanxnz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I don't think so. As you will have to get your games via the headset/oculus app store.
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the reply. I have buyer's remorse already. LOL.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,151 Valuable Player
    TupeloB said:
    Thanks for the reply. I have buyer's remorse already. LOL.
    Either return or sell it then, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).