cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus overwritten my motherboard audio drivers, headphone jack no longer working

PheonixBlayne81
Honored Guest
As above i recently bought an Oculus CV1, installed the oculus software and it installed oculus audio drivers over my headphone jack drivers, now the headphone jack doesnt work at all as my pc recognises the headphone jack as Oculus Virtual Audio Device and the Oculus audio as Rift Audio. Ive tried wiping my drive and doing a fresh install of Windows but it still does the same, when i try to install the asus audio drivers it reports that my motherboard is unsupported. I am so confused as its a brand new motherboard and was working perfectly before installing the oculus software, any ideas??

12 REPLIES 12

I think you'll need to give some details of your motherboard.

I'd probably want to sort out why the MB drivers you're trying to install aren't recognising your board first of all. You say it's a new board, did you get a driver disk with it? are those drivers not installing or have you downloaded some drivers? are you relying on Windows to download the drivers or have you visited the manufacturers download page?

The Rift audio is basically USB headphones so driver-wise is separate from the drivers for the jacks you have on the MB. What devices were showing up when you went to 'Select Playback Device' from the speaker icon on the taskbar?

Only the available audio devices with show up so now that the MB audio drivers aren't installed, only the Rift will show up (or any other USB headphones you plug in).

uKER
Adventurer
It sounds to me like installing the Oculus drivers just switched your default Windows audio device to the Rift Audio as it always does, and you're making a whole deal out of it.
Of course, I could be wrong.

Yeah I was wondering that. If so, it should be an easy fix. If not, I'm sure there are some helpful people here who have the same MB and can point you in the right direction.

Always post specs though, it really helps out.

RattyUK
Trustee
OP:  Open start menu, go to windows system, select Control Panel, from there open the Sound panel which will bring the panel below into view:
28dde3ubk29c.jpg
Check which option has the tick, that will be your default.

You may find that Headphones has the tick.  HTH

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

PheonixBlayne81
Honored Guest
Its a ROG B450F Gaming motherboard, ive tried both the drivers that came on the disk and the drivers from the website but both report incompatible. And the only options to choose from are as below.d5kkowqkldr5.jpg

DjDetonate
Honored Guest
Open up device manager and see if there are any conflicts. If there isn't any, unplug your oculus, and try to reinstall your MB audio drivers. It might not install your MB drivers if it see's the oculus as your audio device. The "AMD high definition audio device" drivers are for HDMI, so they would be from your video card's HDMI port, not your headphone jack on the MB.

PheonixBlayne81
Honored Guest
Unplugged my Oculus, tried to install the audio drivers and fails. So i manually installed and it green screened my pc and had to restore from a restore point.

PheonixBlayne81
Honored Guest
spoken to Asus and the motherboarrd has been RMA'd due to the audio being faulty.

Thanks for the update @PheonixBlayne81 hope you get a replacement quickly.

I had to RMA an Asus MB a few years back and the retailer sorted it out pretty quick, although there were no lock-downs in place back then!
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?