New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Anniversary Sale is live. PSA: Some cross-buy titles are on sale for Rift but not for Quest

nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,449 Volunteer Moderator
edited May 21 in Games and Apps
The Anniversary Sale is live, but the Quest section is a little underwhelming; 11 apps and two bundles 17 apps and three bundles, with most discounts in the 20% range. The Rift sale is a little better, and I noticed that several Rift cross-buy titles are on sale while the Quest versions are not:
  • Apex Construct, -26%
  • Bonfire, -50%
  • Cave Digger, -30%
  • Color Space, -33%
  • The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets, -35%
  • Down the Rabbit Hole, -10%
  • Eleven Table Tennis, -26%
  • Espire 1: VR Operative, -31%
  • The Exorcist: Legion VR, -1% (error perhaps?)
  • Fruit Ninja, -26%
  • Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR, -20%
  • Synth Riders, -26%
  • Thumper, -41%
  • TribeXR DJ School, -15%
  • Wands, -30%
That's quite a few. I really don't know why they don't match them up between the stores, but Quest owners can buy all of these titles cheaper on the Rift store and get the Quest versions for free. I've listed the discount percentages that I'm seeing on the Canadian store; I don't know if some may be different in other regions, but I'd be interested to hear if people are seeing different discounts.

Edit: I see more sales when look at the store while not logged in--the sale page seems to hide titles I already own, so I've updated my post.
i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0

Comments

• kenshinescakenshinesca Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I hope Lone Echo, Stormland, and Asgard's Wrath go on sale at some point during the sale.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,449 Volunteer Moderator
    The Rift sales page says "updated daily", so there's hope!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 21
    Buying VR games has gotten to be fairly complicated. First, I'm used to buying games on Steam for 50+% off. So, when I see 10% or 20% I'm like "meh, I'll wait." But then if a game goes on sale on Steam, I have to figure out, is it cross-buy on the Oculus store?. 'Cause I don't want to not get the Quest version. And even if it is cross-buy, I have to figure out if it is cross-play. And then there's the situation that games "become" cross-buy after the fact.

I've been burned a few times, like buying Beat Saber on Steam and then getting a Quest and having to buy it again, and then finding out that Rift and Quest can share song packs, but not Steam.

I totally agree that it's a bad practice to sell Quest games that are cross-buy for more than the corresponding Rift title. I could image how pissed I would be to find I just paid full price for a title that was on sale if I had bought it as a Rift game.

It's a lot easier to just use something like isthereanydeal.com to see if a game is at it's lowest price and then redeem it over at Steam. But it's not that simple anymore. And I also got burned by buying No Man's Sky on Gog.com and finding out that I could only play with other people who purchased it from there, not with Steam users. It's just a mess.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,322 Valuable Player
    Just bought two games, first some spicy wolf  B)

- and an oldie I never got around to try:

Whether or not I end up keeping them may depend a lot on Revive, as both games are on Steam too with Index support, but just not on sale there at the moment.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,719 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 22
    nalex66 said:
    I really don't know why they don't match them up between the stores
    It couldn't be one department not talking to the other could it? reminds me of my last office.

I haven't finished The Room yet and still have a backlog of other games... but that Exorcist discount is hard to resist. Very tempted by A Fisherman's Tale but I'm put off these days if it's not Cross-Buy. Have to pick something.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • arturojrealarturojreal Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Absolutely new Quest owner here, figured it best to ask: If I were to purchase SUPERHOT from the Rift store (as it's currently discounted there but not on Quest unless purchasing in a bundle), would I be able to play it on Quest?

And, if I were to purchase SUPERHOT on Steam, would I then be able to play that on the Quest? And what is your method for confirming whether a game is cross-play/cross-buy?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,449 Volunteer Moderator
    No, SuperHot doesn't support cross-buy, so you would only get the PC version if you bought it on the Rift store or Steam. You could play the PC versions over Link or Virtual Desktop if you have a VR-capable PC.

Cross-buy games list both Rift and Quest as supported platforms on the store page. (This may be a new glitch, but I've noticed that the supported platform info doesn't show properly if I'm not logged into my Oculus account.) Anyway, here's a link to the store section showing all the cross-buy Quest titles.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,322 Valuable Player
    I guess I'm also into "cross-buy" just not 100% similar to Quest owners  :DB)

The two games I bought yesterday work perfectly - Spice and Wolf is surprisingly amazing, feels like I'm part of a real anime movie - especially as the Index has close to no SDE. Not sure if it's just a movie or there is a game hidden somewhere, need to play it more.

Final Approach is also awesome using Index, so it should be for Rift-S too. No need for oled. The planes are very detailed, really shine using high-res lcd hmd. And only paying 8 bucks for that game is a steal, I nearly feel bad about not paying the full price... Note that Final Aporoach is rated 9/10 on Steam with 300-400 ratings, and that rating seems warranted. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,213 Valuable Player
    edited May 23
    Kind of a very disappointing sale.  Already got what I consider the "Good" games. For Both systems.  Just waiting on a sale for Beat Saber for the Quest and maybe Superhot.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,719 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah Beat Sabre on Quest for me too. I get the feeling the dev, having decided Cross-Buy doesn't cover their costs, may also not want discounts given on their software.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,213 Valuable Player
    Yeah Beat Saber on Quest for me too. I get the feeling the dev, having decided Cross-Buy doesn't cover their costs, may also not want discounts given on their software.

Probably....and if that is the case they are going to realize sooner or later that they are asking for too much and they either need to have a sale once in a while....or lose customers.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,156 Valuable Player
    I own so much, not sure if anything I need will end up on sale!

Oh, and if I cross-buy, do I also have to cross-dress? Asking for a friend.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,505 Valuable Player
    I'd just like to point out that I'm NOT the friend he's talking about.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever