cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest left touch controller can pair . . . but headset cannot find it

mkamr1987
Explorer
The Oculus Quest I purchased (and just arrived Wednesday) cannot detect left controller. Out of the box it could detect it. It saw both left and right controllers when I first put on the headset (didn't have app installed or Quest headset paired at that point). Then it updated after I downloaded the oculus app. And now it can only find the right controller.  So it went from working to not working within 15 minutes of opening the box   . I tried to re-pair the controllers—didn’t work. Also tried to hold quest button down to reorientate the controller—didn’t work either. When I look at the settings the app can read the left and right controller as "paired". But it only has the firmware and battery life listed for the right controller. So I’m not sure what is going on exactly. It’s a great product except for this issue. 

I also tried a factory reset of the headset-- without the batteries in the controllers.  And that didn't seem to work either.  I looked through the forums for people who have had this particular issue and couldn't find any.  I've read of people that couldn't pair a controller, or the controllers didn't turn on--batteries leaking into controller and making them non functional (etc). But I haven't yet heard of the controller saying it can pair through the app (left controller in this case) and then I can't the left controller appear in the headset.  It simply cannot find it.  I hope someone from the community can help. Any advice?

I also want to mention that I opened a ticket on Wednesday for this issue with Oculus Support--they gave me the "factory reset without batteries advice" on Friday (yesterday).  And after that it has been radio silence since that first advice at 11 AM yesterday.  I know we are in the middle of a pandemic with limited resources and support.  Complicating that is that the Oculus Quest is selling really well and their support lines are probably jammed. But it would be nice to try to get this resolved ASAP and it would be good to have an open line of communication with Oculus Support when they finally initiate the conversation to help.
13 REPLIES 13

mkamr1987
Explorer
I'll give an example of what I'm dealing with (I'll attach some pics)nubhn12j3hpy.pngf15hfckdpn0f.pngjo8io19ugr9w.png

mkamr1987
Explorer
I don't know why that post looks so bizarre but there it is.  lol

griffithsp
Explorer
I am having the same issue! but mine is the other way around... left works but right is not showing up but is paired.
Did you get any update from them?

C3VR
Honored Guest
Same for me.  Right controller.  Sounds like a software issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same type of issue for me, but my right controller comes and goes intermittently.  I really can not play any games like beat saber or super natural with it cutting out every few seconds.

rehv
Honored Guest
I had this on the right rift s controller. unfortunately, I couldn't do anything. alternatively, try to insert the foil on the spring, perhaps the contact is bad.but I still think it's the controller's brain.

mkamr1987
Explorer
I think it's either a software issue or the issue is with the controller itself.  They contacted me last Saturday saying that they are going to look into it and to give them 3-4 business days.  So I'm looking for a reply either today or tomorrow--but I'll check in today with them.  I'll try to insert the foil on the spring like rehv recommended.  I think the problem could be resolved with a new controller--somehow this one was not good.  Thank you for your replies--I appreciate it.

griffithsp
Explorer
Yes I have had the same 3-4 days request time, What did they do in the end?

Systems_Archite
Protege
If the factory reset was done remotely from the mobile app. I would try to factory reset the headset itself.

Before you try it from the headset itself. I'd make sure to remove the batteries for 3-5 minutes, unpair the controller, then reinsert the battery. Once the battery is reinserted, I'd tap the buttons to ensure the led light blinks or lights up. Then try the reset down below. If the light doesn't work it might indicate the controller is faulty.

I'd try a factory reset from within the headset for better results. The remote version might not reinstall the Operating System properly or might not iniate the factory reset properly. Instructions for a factory reset for both methods can be found here: 
https://support.oculus.com/298586437740040/

Another thing I'd do is try using a cellphone camera around the controller to see if the infared sensors are dead. I'd compare it with the other controller. If the IR seems dead on one side, I'd let the Oculus Support Team know this.