New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How can people who don't have the Oculus Rift warranty get new CV1 cables for their headset?

Pika1406Pika1406 Posts: 2
NerveGear
I was dealing with Oculus customer support for a year, and then personal stuff happened, that disabled me to continuously respond, so my CV1 cable is bent and they said it was the problem, to fix my issue of no visual feed in my headset.

Best Answer

Answers

• Pika1406Pika1406 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    In a time of no jobs in the entire world, money is going to be tight with anyone.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,910 Valuable Player
    Pika1406 said:
    In a time of no jobs in the entire world, money is going to be tight with anyone.
    Now that you know that replacement parts are not supported after only 3 years, it should help you decide which company you buy your next headset from. Even the Rift S was handed to Lenovo for manufacture/design.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 835
    Trinity
    Richooal said:
    Pika1406 said:
    Now that you know that replacement parts are not supported after only 3 years, it should help you decide which company you buy your next headset from. Even the Rift S was handed to Lenovo for manufacture/design.
    Is that a bad thing though ? 
    I mean the visual clarity when compared the the Quest is astounding. 
    Its light, comfortable and only needs 1 USB3 and DP connection.  No messy wires going to tracking sensors and stuff.
    Given the Quest now works with a USB2 connection, I wonder if the RiftS will ever work with USB2.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
    edited May 24
    Umpa_PC said:
    Richooal said:
    Pika1406 said:
    Its light, comfortable and only needs 1 USB3 and DP connection.  No messy wires going to tracking sensors and stuff.
    Given the Quest now works with a USB2 connection, I wonder if the RiftS will ever work with USB2.

Hmmmm. They've stopped making parts for my 4 year old $30,000 car..... no worries, I'll just buy their new model.   :#

• ErkkipenapetteriErkkipenapetteri Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    Umpa_PC said:
    Richooal said:
    Pika1406 said:
    Yes, it is. Hardware should be serviceable. Also, software updates should not break older devices. Two times this year a software update has made my gear completely unusable. Currently I cannot use the system at all (after the latest update), and a few months back it was weeks before a new update fixed the system. Why on earth would I want to give more money to FB for this experience?

Also the Quest tracking will not be good enough for Beat Saber, which is the game I spend most of my play hours on. If the quest supported external tracking to complement the inside out tracking, I might actually want to update... given I had enough confidence to stay in this ecosystem in the first place.

As things stand, if my CV1 ever stops functioning completely, I'll just buy a new setup from a competitor. Keep your locked in crap. :)

Trinity
    edited May 24
    You have both not understood my comment.  I was asking if lenovo making the Rift S was a bad thing or not, not that Oculus abandoning the CV1 is a good thing - God no that's a MEGA bad thing.  I quoted the entire reply when I should have just quoted the last bit.
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Umpa_PC said:
    You have both not understood my comment.  I was asking if lenovo making the Rift S was a bad thing or not, not that Oculus abandoning the CV1 is a good thing - God no that's a MEGA bad thing.  I quoted the entire reply when I should have just quoted the last bit.

Sorry for not  understanding.
    Still a bad thing though because it means that they are not taking full responsibility for the product. Releasinng Quest and Rift S at the same time was a signal (and I pointed it out at the time) that Oculus would be concentrating on the Quest from now on.
    I understand why, but they could have just owned the fact instead of trying to make out that all was well in PCVR land.

Trinity
    Richooal said:
    Umpa_PC said:

Sorry for not  understanding.
    Still a bad thing though because it means that they are not taking full responsibility for the product. Releasinng Quest and Rift S at the same time was a signal (and I pointed it out at the time) that Oculus would be concentrating on the Quest from now on.
    I understand why, but they could have just owned the fact instead of trying to make out that all was well in PCVR land.
    Yeah, I reckon your right .  It seems that all in one headsets is their focus.  I'm on the fence on whether its a good thing or not.  I mean Quest is good, but its not good enough IMO, its like a halfway house.  I look forward for Quest 2.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,233 Volunteer Moderator
    ...Also the Quest tracking will not be good enough for Beat Saber, which is the game I spend most of my play hours on. If the quest supported external tracking to complement the inside out tracking, I might actually want to update... given I had enough confidence to stay in this ecosystem in the first place.
    Quest tracking actually work very well. I’ve only ever played Beat Saber on Quest, and never felt that the tracking was holding me back or causing any problems with gameplay. I have a 3-sensor setup for my Rift CV1, and I don’t perceive that my Quest is any worse at all. Oculus knocked it out of the park with inside-out tracking, to the point that I don’t think I would ever buy another outside-in VR system. They’ve done amazing things within the limited hardware in the Quest, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do with Quest 2.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ErkkipenapetteriErkkipenapetteri Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:
    ...Also the Quest tracking will not be good enough for Beat Saber, which is the game I spend most of my play hours on. If the quest supported external tracking to complement the inside out tracking, I might actually want to update... given I had enough confidence to stay in this ecosystem in the first place.
    Quest tracking actually work very well. I’ve only ever played Beat Saber on Quest, and never felt that the tracking was holding me back or causing any problems with gameplay. I have a 3-sensor setup for my Rift CV1, and I don’t perceive that my Quest is any worse at all. Oculus knocked it out of the park with inside-out tracking, to the point that I don’t think I would ever buy another outside-in VR system. They’ve done amazing things within the limited hardware in the Quest, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do with Quest 2.
    For sure, as long as the beat maps are inside-out friendly. I have no doubt that it works for you, and probably a lot of the time I wouldn't mind either. I'd love to not bother with external sensors, but with sufficient complexity the Quest or any other inside-out tracking will not be able to track the controllers at all times. From everything I've read, the tracking will be fine a lot of the time, but having to cross arms at high speeds all the time and constantly have the controllers obstructing eachother is something that just cannot work completely with inside-out. I'd love to be wrong though!

Also since I already have functioning sensors laying around, wouldn't it be neat to be able to fill out any gaps with existing hardware. I don't know what it would require technically, maybe it's not feasible for some reason. However since my CV1 is currently unplayable (again) after the latest software patch even though it has no reason to be, maybe the unified drivers and software could also provide me with some perks if they want me to update to a new Oculus product at some point. Before that though I'd like to not have weeks of being unable to use my product waiting for an update with fingers crossed. Also while my CV1 is functional and suits my needs, I'd love to be able to service it with a new cable if my current one were to break.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,233 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 24
    Absolutely, the CV1 cable situation is unfortunate (to return to topic). I think Oculus got caught off-guard with the discontinuation of the proprietary chip used in the cable... I don’t know if they didn’t get the opportunity for a sufficient last-time buy, or if they thought they had enough to cover their needs, but hopefully they’ve at least learned from the situation. That said, the Rift S replacement cable has been absent from the store for quite a while now too, so I don’t know what’s going on with their component procurement.

For sure, as long as the beat maps are inside-out friendly. I have no doubt that it works for you, and probably a lot of the time I wouldn't mind either. I'd love to not bother with external sensors, but with sufficient complexity the Quest or any other inside-out tracking will not be able to track the controllers at all times. From everything I've read, the tracking will be fine a lot of the time, but having to cross arms at high speeds all the time and constantly have the controllers obstructing eachother is something that just cannot work completely with inside-out. I'd love to be wrong though!
    Occlusion problems can happen with outside-in tracking just as easily as with inside-out, though. Both are camera-based line-of-sight systems, and my Quest has more cameras than my CV1. The fact is, in both cases the IMUs in the controllers do the majority of the tracking, and the cameras help correct drift. Oculus has made great strides with improving their predictive algorithms over the past year, such that brief occlusion from the cameras does not interrupt tracking at all. I rarely hear Quest or Rift S users complain about tracking issues anymore. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • MrRobotGMrRobotG Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    There is some 'ok' priced cables on ebay at the moment. I managed to get one yesterday and this one has just been listed.

Search for 293778048526 on ebay

• falken76falken76 Posts: 3,053 Valuable Player
    Pika1406 said:

Unless of course you are in the market for a $700 Nvidia 3080 card, in spite of the pandemic, they're impossible to find, apparently everyone has money for those.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,053 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:

Those kids (Adult or not) who play Beat saber competitively swear by outside in tracking.  I'm so terrible at the game I know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but if you were really good, you'd probably notice the tracking issues that they always talk about, mainly that the tracking can't keep up with their speed in comparison to outside in tracking.