cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make an easier way to use link with PCs.

kameomax
Explorer

This was my post on Oculus Feddback, i think could help someone to temporally fix PC problems.

If u are agree with my post, pls go to feedback and vote it ( title of feedback post is the same of this title).

I can use the link with my PC, just because I follow one guide finded in reddit/ on this forum.
So please learn by these following steps and make the link work with an easier plug and play way.

Steps:
A - Connect another monitor via HDMI to your PC and select this screen as primary screen.
B - Go to nVIdia panel and set global 3d settings to high performance nVidia processor.
C- In nVidia panel set program settings to high performance nVidia processor for "Oculus Client" and " Oculus Server" (names are not the same but similar).

Just thanks to this guide i can now use Oculus Link with my portable computer.
Please improve the link and make us a easier life 

11 REPLIES 11

enigma01
Trustee
Why do you have to go through all those steps?
Link already is easy for me. 
Turn on the headset, connect the cable, click enable Link. PC software automatically loads up and away you go. Takes seconds. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

enigma01 said:

Why do you have to go through all those steps?
Link already is easy for me. 
Turn on the headset, connect the cable, click enable Link. PC software automatically loads up and away you go. Takes seconds. 

That's pretty nice that it works that way for you, but I'm sure you may have noticed for many others it isn't that simple... even if it was previously - it used to work that way for me too (official Link cable). Now since v17 it's 50/50 that when I click "enable Link" I'll get a black screen with just the Guardian border up. I'll then have to unplug the Link cable and try again... and again. A clean boot prior to opening Oculus and attempting Link seems to increase those odds to about 75/25. Others experience the "three dots of death" while others can't seem to get it working at all even when it was working perfectly fine with previous versions. I think it's great that people may have discovered a unique solution that might help others with similar problems with a viable workaround. It may also helps the devs figure out a few of the many variables that might be causing issues for some users.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
@kameomax Why do you need to add another monitor ? 
What GFX card do you have as I don't see nVidia processor in global 3d settings. 
I also do not see anything in the program settings related to oculus.  Did you add these yourself ?
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

What GFX card do you have as I don't see nVidia processor in global 3d settings. 
I also do not see anything in the program settings related to oculus.  Did you add these yourself ?

Only thing I can think of is this in Global:
pbi3a5lwqv23.jpg

ovrserver_x64.exe would have to be manually added.

gfr94w6x6296.jpg

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I saw that too, but figured he would have said OpenGL.  I don't even know if the Oculus even uses OpenGL.
FWIW I see things in your screen shot that I don't have, so that list must be different for people.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

I saw that too, but figured he would have said OpenGL.  I don't even know if the Oculus even uses OpenGL.
FWIW I see things in your screen shot that I don't have, so that list must be different for people.

I don't think English is OP's first language. Hopefully he comes back and clarifies what he's trying to say. 😉

enigma01
Trustee
@jseams Apologies if I came across negative in my earlier post, that wasn’t my intention. I actually wasn’t aware of the issue you’ve described. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

enigma01 said:

@jseams Apologies if I came across negative in my earlier post, that wasn’t my intention. I actually wasn’t aware of the issue you’ve described. 
I didn't take what you said as a negative in any way. Prior to v17 I was exactly like you... Link just worked, heck everything just worked and I couldn't understand at all why everybody seemed to be having so many issues. Well, I understand now. lol

Heck, I can't even explain how or why half of what Oculus does... example: I just got in a new Quest for my wife yesterday. Turned it on and went though the setup. It auto updated immediately (right in the middle of setup) to v17. Everything seems to work great. Downloaded BoxVR, Beat Saber and VRChat for her. She wanted to enable Passthrough shortcut so I told her how. She can't find it. I put it on - it's nowhere to be found. I also couldn't find hand tracking in either devices or experimental. It's just not there. Shut if off - turned it back on. Reset it. Nothing. Gave up as it was late. Turned it on this morning and everything is there like magic. My own headset took a WEEK after the v17 update to finally move hand tracking from experimental to devices. I still don't have voice command and neither does she. I don't expect their implementation of Link to be any different - just spotty, random, and dramatically different between users.

kameomax
Explorer

jseams said:

Umpa_PC said:

Only thing I can think of is this in Global:
pbi3a5lwqv23.jpg

ovrserver_x64.exe would have to be manually added.

gfr94w6x6296.jpg

Sorry guys, i didn't check this post for some days...soooo...i' ll try to clarify what i ve done with screenshots ...unfortunatelly i' m italian...so the OS language is not English...i hope you could undestand anyway.
I use a GTX 1660 ti max-q and ryzen 3750h.
4o1ln9549apg.png

77zheu82976e.png

sb2g835t0hrw.png

mbbflskrh4uj.png