New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sound issues

StraycatukStraycatuk Posts: 9
NerveGear
Hi , I was using my Rift during a session in DCS world , when the sound started playing up ,  I have since discovered that the front facing sound is very low , but as soon as I turn my head left or right the sound comes back ,  sound from the sides is fine 'but if for instance I use the  oculus touch basics app I can hear the stereo music from the sides but the woman speaking from the front sounds very quiet and far away , unless i turn my head then I can hear her as normal , whats going on .... I have uninstalled oculus , redid all my sound drivers etc , even did a system restore , any ideas ... its been working fine for months 
   Cheers Ian

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,605 Valuable Player
    If you installed nvidia high def audio drivers go to your windows settings apps and uninstall them.  Then restart your pc.  I found that this fixed a lot of my audio problems.  These usually come with nvidia driver updates and I just select custom installation and make sure I don't install them.  Likewise with geoforce experience.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• StraycatukStraycatuk Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Ok , I deleted nvidia high def driver and restarted pc , still the same , I tried my usb gaming headset and the sounds work fine in oculus rift , but when I switch back to built in headset  sounds become really faint until I  turn my head then the sound increases , its really weird , all volumes are at max in all sound devices . 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,605 Valuable Player
    Maybe go into win10 sound settings rift headphones, properties, advanced, and disable  bottom enhancements,  Also see that it is set to 2 ch, 16bit, 4800Hz.  Some have found it useful to go to sound settings and disable Oculus Virtual desktop audio.  Sorry all I can think of.  I don't know but if you are mirroring audio to your speakers this might be causing a problem as well.  Good luck.  Otherwise, contact Oculus support.  Maybe they can see something in your log files that is causing this.

I also occasionally get audio issues after some updates including win10, Oculus, and SteamVR.  I usually find a way to fix it but sometimes I either need to roll back or wait for further updates.  Good luck mate. 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

NerveGear
    Thanks for all your help tom , did what you suggested but still same problem , have submitted a report and included all my logs , hopefully somebody will shed a light on this problem . unfortunately I purchased this rift second hand , so probably wont get a lot of help ,
     thanks again Ian
  • XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 3
    Hi , I was using my Rift during a session in DCS world , when the sound started playing up ,  I have since discovered that the front facing sound is very low , but as soon as I turn my head left or right the sound comes back ,  sound from the sides is fine 'but if for instance I use the  oculus touch basics app I can hear the stereo music from the sides but the woman speaking from the front sounds very quiet and far away , unless i turn my head then I can hear her as normal , whats going on .... I have uninstalled oculus , redid all my sound drivers etc , even did a system restore , any ideas ... its been working fine for months 
       Cheers Ian
    well the first part of your problem..probably its not a problem, if u ear sound when rotating head in a direction and not in another its just because the FAKE positional audio that just work on left and right volume to let u think the sound is moving in 3d...that means if u turns too much u almost cant ear someone at 2cm from you..yeah like in real life! hahaha
    we will resolve this when devs will start caring audio and not just graphic
    so if the game had some updates and introduced fake positional audio, or u enabled it...disable it if u can, i never tried that game so i cant say

Edit..just a suggest, i worked it around in every games using my pc sound card, enabling virtual surround that split a normal 2.0 audio in a 5.0\.1 and use the 5.1 in my room for the audio...its far less positional in this way and most of time u can ear better ppl talking ingame
    NerveGear
    Hi,
      as I say its just not in the games , its even in the oculus app menu , when selecting libary,store or what ever facing forward I used to hear like a select sound but it is barely audible now , but if I turn left or right slightly I can hear it , its as if the front speaker as been turned off , it was working fine till the other night , I havent updated any software or apps till after this had happened , when I first got the rift  right audio was intermittent , but found a tip about using some telephone cable to join the both left and right phones on the negative pin as they say the ribbon gets worn, which worked great and is still working ok 
    NerveGear
    edited June 3
    I unplugged my Saitek X52 joystick and throttle and the sounds are back , very weird , My PC is 4 months old , 6 usb 3 ports , 2 usb 2 ports , GTX 1660 6gig , 32 gig ram , quad core 3.4 Ryzen ,  500w Psu , I have no problem running any of todays games including Star Citizen all on max settings , will test it over the next couple of days to see if the problem arises 
    NerveGear
    After a few minutes reverted back to low sounds , didnt plug the saiteck back in  :(
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 3
    Hi,
      as I say its just not in the games , its even in the oculus app menu , when selecting libary,store or what ever facing forward I used to hear like a select sound but it is barely audible now , but if I turn left or right slightly I can hear it , its as if the front speaker as been turned off , it was working fine till the other night , I havent updated any software or apps till after this had happened , when I first got the rift  right audio was intermittent , but found a tip about using some telephone cable to join the both left and right phones on the negative pin as they say the ribbon gets worn, which worked great and is still working ok 
    but...with "front speaker" what  you mean?  you have same problem with pc speakers?
    btw im not sure i understood what u did to speakers but...if u joined left and right..they both will show the same L or R audio..that can be a big big problem with most of song too...
    did u tried to set Mono audio?
    NerveGear
    no , Pc speakers are fine ,  if you join the left and right ground pin together with 1 piece of thin telephone cable ( bottom pin on earphone when you take them off )( its on youtube ) it just completes the circuit , it doesn't effect the stereo sound either , have since discovered that maybe the ribbon in the head band maybe at fault , when I pull headset forward sound comes back in full 

Hiro Protagonist
    no , Pc speakers are fine ,  if you join the left and right ground pin together with 1 piece of thin telephone cable ( bottom pin on earphone when you take them off )( its on youtube ) it just completes the circuit , it doesn't effect the stereo sound either , have since discovered that maybe the ribbon in the head band maybe at fault , when I pull headset forward sound comes back in full 

if u move it and it come back yea its pretty much a physical problem, i dont know how you did the ground join, dont know even where they are in the headset, but can be possible that the junction u made has some excursion problem? i think that u cant even send torepair in warranty because u altered the original cables, thats a pity
    NerveGear
    nothing was altered to the original headband ribbon , you just put the extra wire around the headset on the outside  , takes 5 seconds to remove it if you type in youtube  ' How To Fix The Oculus Rift Left Audio Fault ' it will explain what i did better  :)