New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Headset showing as USB 2 instead of USB 3

Hi All,
           My Rift headset has all of a sudden gone to usb 2. Anyone had this?

Comments

• dhrtodhrto Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Yes, it's one of the new 'features' of the v17 release.
    (Rift CV1 user myself, has been working fine for almost 4 years, nothing changed on my end).

Please report this issue with the desktop software feedback function. Hopefully the more reports they get the more resources will be spent on this problem.
  • stephentain123stephentain123 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Many thanks its not just me then
  • ANGEL_DUST01ANGEL_DUST01 Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    yup having this issue CV1 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,864 Valuable Player
    I hate to be a spoil sport but I'm not having this problem with my Rift cv1.  Maybe look at my specs in my signature to find out why, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Brain Burst
    StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card

This solved it for me too, since I got fed up with the issue, although I was also using one of the recommended USB3-controller cards (The Inateck KTU3FR-4P one). Mind you, the StarTech PEXUSB3S44V card will set you back ~ $100 !
    Brain Burst
    edited June 23
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I hate to be a spoil sport but I'm not having this problem with my Rift cv1.  Maybe look at my specs in my signature to find out why, lol!
    No issues with my rig man pfft
    ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI [WI-FI] Mother Board
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2060
    ASUS ROG STRIX XG27V MONITOR
    ASUS ROG RYUO LIQUID COOLING
    ASUS ROG THOR 850W PSU
    ASUS ROG GLADIUS 11 ORIGIN MOUSE
    ASUS ROG DELTA RGB QUAD-DAC HEADSET
    ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
    ASUS ROG BALTEUS RGB HARD MOUSE PAD
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 64 GIG MEM
    FPS CMT 520 PLUS RGB CASE
    i9-9900k 4.70 GHz
    VR Oculus Rift cv1
    3 Motion Sensors
    Motion controllers
    XBOX ONE Controller
    and three 1 T SSDS AND 1 500 G SSD FOR MY WINDOWS.
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 303 Oculus Staff
    Hey @stephentain123 and folks - Just wanted to quickly jump in and clarify what was added as part of the v17 software update. The only thing that was added was the actual USB 2.0 detection warning that you're seeing. As I understand it, nothing was changed as part of Oculus' USB detection, as the Oculus software simply reads the USB port types from your OS and doesn't actually detect them itself. What this means is that if you're now seeing the warning and you didn't change how anything was plugged in, that USB port (and as a result, your headset connection) was being detected as a 2.0 previously - it's just that there was no explicit warning to let you know about it.

I believe everything should still work if your headset is connected via USB 2.0, but if you want the absolute best performance possible, we recommend getting it connected to a USB 3.0 port. You may try swapping it into a different port or trying to figure out why that port is being incorrectly recognized if you think it should be a USB 3.0 port. For that, you'll likely want to troubleshoot with Microsoft or your motherboard manufacturer. Our support team may have some additional troubleshooting tips for your specific situation if you want to reach out to them as well. Hope this helps!
    Brain Burst
    Hey @stephentain123 and folks - Just wanted to quickly jump in and clarify what was added as part of the v17 software update. The only thing that was added was the actual USB 2.0 detection warning that you're seeing. As I understand it, nothing was changed as part of Oculus' USB detection, as the Oculus software simply reads the USB port types from your OS and doesn't actually detect them itself. What this means is that if you're now seeing the warning and you didn't change how anything was plugged in, that USB port (and as a result, your headset connection) was being detected as a 2.0 previously - it's just that there was no explicit warning to let you know about it.

I believe everything should still work if your headset is connected via USB 2.0, but if you want the absolute best performance possible, we recommend getting it connected to a USB 3.0 port. You may try swapping it into a different port or trying to figure out why that port is being incorrectly recognized if you think it should be a USB 3.0 port. For that, you'll likely want to troubleshoot with Microsoft or your motherboard manufacturer. Our support team may have some additional troubleshooting tips for your specific situation if you want to reach out to them as well. Hope this helps!
    Thank you, I have usb 3.1 on my board and it is plugged into one of these ports. could it be detecting usb 3.1 incorrectly? 
    Brain Burst
    edited June 23

Thank you for your reply and clarification, but excuse my French when I say that's a load of bullcrap...

I've been using the CV1 for 4 years now, right at the start with the recommended Inateck card, because my mainboard back then didn't have the right USB chipset. Now it might be the case that the new detection was added in v17, but I do know for certain that before the whole new version name thing (when it was still 1.xx instead of vxx) the settings page in Oculus showed USB3 for the headset. And in my case also 2x USB3 for the sensors and 1x USB2 for one sensor (per Oculus recommendation, to have the 3rd sensor connected via USB2 because of bandwidth issues). 

At the moment I solved the problem by shelling out another $100 to get the Startech card with 4 separate controllers. Seeing your reply (while I'm grateful there is some kind of feedback) this was a good call, since I don't think Oculus will acknowledge and go back to fix it. I've swapped all the ports on the Inateck card (4 ports) and on every port the headset will think it's USB2 while the sensors are just fine and show up as USB3. Considering this the problem is crystal clear to me: it lies with the (detection software of the) headset, because the port is clearly an USB3 port. Or the detection software on the sensors is also bugged as well!?
    I really don't like the condescending tone of the part of your message '...if you think it should be a USB 3.0 port.'

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,164 Valuable Player
    Something must be amiss in Oculus software detection method now, whilst I don't have the problem myself there have been quite a lot of reports of this. Seems to be a fairly common issue now, at least much more so than it used to be.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • TK.PrinceTK.Prince Posts: 63 Oculus Start Member
    edited June 24
    And this update have break Rift S too ! With No Displayport connexion bug !!
  • FP_ECHO_12FP_ECHO_12 Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    Same issue here. Oculus CV1. It just recently started having tracking issues, which is when I realized, it was being recognized as being plugged into a 2.0 port and was warning that better tracking would be in a 3.0 port. But it IS plugged into a 3.0 port and always has. It also, has never had tracking issues like it does now. This only started after the latest Oculus update. I opened a ticket. Oculus Support has been going back and forth with me for a few days now, trying to pin the problem on my USB card. The problem with this, is it's the USB CARD OCULUS RECOMMENDS!! The Inateck PCI-e to USB 3.0 PCI Express Card they linked here - support.oculus.com/1798990480336565/
    I've tried plugging my headset into all my 3.0 ports and none are recognized by the Oculus Software as 3.0 anymore. They are all recognized by Oculus as 2.0. However, if I plug my sensors into any of the same ports, they are recognized as 3.0. I decided to remove all variables and completely reformat my hard drive and reimage my PC with a fresh Windows OS install. Even after this, I am still getting the EXACT same behavior. This is not a Windows or Inateck Driver issue. This is an Oculus Software issue. I have had my Rift for a few years now and after the latest update, it stops being able to recognize the Inateck PCI-e Expansion USB 3.0 card that Oculus themselves recommend for the Rift. Even more frustrating, is if you do the setup, it will recognize my headset as being plugged into 3.0, then after the setup is completed, it drops tracking like crazy and says it's 2.0 now. Also very frustrating, is when Oculus Support had me provide logs, in the logs, it even shows the headset as properly connected to a 3.0 port. Stop trying to pin the problem on my PC. Even your logs show it as a 3.0 connection Oculus. . . .
  • ceasareceasare Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    HFP_ECHO12: Same here! 
    Have spent €100 on a Startech USB3 expansioncard ...
    I am now asking support from Microsft....last message from Oculus support (believe it is to buy more time to fix this in Oculus Software):

Thank you for getting back to us with an update. 
    Upon further investigation I have found that this has been a ongoing issue with Microsoft since one of there more recent updates.
    I would recommend reaching out to Microsoft support and asking if there is a fix yet for the ports not recognizing the right cable type. 
    Please get back to me with an update as to what they had to say, in the mean time I will be looking into this further on my end to see what other options and troubleshooting is available for us to try. 

Chat soon.

Kindest regards, 

Shiloh
    Oculus Support
  • FP_ECHO_12FP_ECHO_12 Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    ceasare said:
    Upon further investigation I have found that this has been a ongoing issue with Microsoft since one of there more recent updates.

I would recommend reaching out to Microsoft support and asking if there is a fix yet for the ports not recognizing the right cable type. 
    Please get back to me with an update as to what they had to say, in the mean time I will be looking into this further on my end to see what other options and troubleshooting is available for us to try. 

Well that sounds like the same nonesense I'm probably going to receive shortly. It's always someone else's fault. I can plug any USB 3.0 device into my machine and WINDOWS sees it as 3.0. Oculus Software is the only thing not able to do this. I'm tired of Oculus trying to pin the problem on everything else and refusing to acknowledge the evidence in their own logs.

• Nick_The_NinjaNick_The_Ninja Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    My Rift headset has been showing as USB 2 since a firmware update a few weeks ago. Submitted a ticket so that developers are aware.

I'm afraid that the sensor/rift setup won't work if I ever need to set up again, so I'm making sure I never move my sensors!
    Brain Burst
    I bought the recommended USB 3.0 card and it still shows up 2.0, if I unplug it then plug it back in it works as 3.0, they need to fix this. I spent money I didn't need to.
  • Gun5lingerGun5linger Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My Rift headset has been showing as USB 2 since a firmware update a few weeks ago. Submitted a ticket so that developers are aware.

I'm afraid that the sensor/rift setup won't work if I ever need to set up again, so I'm making sure I never move my sensors!

Same here.  I've had this problem for a few weeks now.  I opened a ticket with them and we're at the "please uninstall and reinstall the Oculus software" phase.  I didn't want to lose any saved games so I installed the software on an identical system that never had it installed before (identical PC hardware), same problem, no change, headset detected as USB 2 on all USB 3 ports, sensors detected as USB 3 on same ports.

They need to hurry up and fix this, or at the VERY minimum acknowledge it's an issue.
  • simonbrandstromsimonbrandstrom Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same here... I don't know why???? I have two USB 3.0 and don't have any USB 2 input on my laptop.. But it stands like this anyway... When it stands USB 2 the tracking starting to live it's own life...

• jbaertjbaert Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    I just reproduced this on my brand new system and my old gaming pc as well. My Rift CV1 is _very_ picky about recognizing a USB 3 connection. Sometimes Windows fails to recognize the USB Superspeed Hub device that gets added when you connect your Rift. (I watch the USB connections with USBTreeView)
  • AngryFruitSaladAngryFruitSalad Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I also bought  Inateck even though my pc has 4 usb3, 4 usb 3.1 and 6 usb2, every usb shows up as usb 2 on the headset, even inateck showed the same. No idea what oculus are playing at, and this has been going on for 4 years.
  • TicianTician Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    I suggest you guys take a look at the device management in the Windows-settings and check if Windows detects the ports as USB 3.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,967 Volunteer Moderator
    Also are you using any extension cables? For example, the extension cable that came with the CV1 Touch controller bundle for the second sensor was only USB 2.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • TaeWilliamTaeWilliam Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I am also having this problem after everything working flawlessly for the past many months.
    Have any of you fixed the issue?

• BobBitchinBobBitchin Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    I am also having this problem,  on a Aorus x570 elite mobo, ubdated all the motherboard drivers, updated windows and Oculus software and video drivers. Had the cv1 since it came out and the dev kit before that, and they never did this. My tracking jumps all over the place when the Oculus claims the USB3 is USB2. I have tried 3 different USB3 slots and 2 USB3.1 slots and they all come up with an orange warning that claims it is in a USB2 slot. If I take the headset off shut the software and restart it, it sometimes goes green and says USB3.

I've had a similar problem in the past as @BobBitchin, I found that adding a Powered USB3 hub seemed to help.  Sometimes motherboard's don't seem to supply enough power, esp. if you already have a few usb devices plugged in.  With my current desktop pc (see my signature for details) I found adding a powered pcie usb3 card helped as well.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,910 Valuable Player
    edited October 9
    The last response I heard from Oculus was.......

It's a Microsoft problem. Oculus don't detect the port, they just say it's what Windows reports it to be. Please take it up with Microsoft.

My Microsoft Windows 10 Device Manager says my HMD and all 3 sensors are connected to USB 3.0..................

However, Oculus proprietary software Device List says that windows is wrong.........

I know why my third sensor shows as USB 2 (because of the cable). This does mean, though that Oculus are NOT taking Microsoft's word for it, they are "detecting" USB 2.

My HMD is definitely plugged into a USB 3.0 port (detected by Microsoft's Windows 10) but Oculus is saying it's USB 2.

At the end of the day, it just doesn't matter because my Rift works fine. It's just sloppy connection reporting on Oculus' behalf.

PS If I can find the response from Oculus I'll edit it in.
    Found it. This is what was said about it by @ShowbizDonkey ..........

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Maybe try right clicking on your (top line) ...Host Controller - 1.0 (microsoft) and do an auto search for an updated driver.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Maybe try right clicking on your (top line) ...Host Controller - 1.0 (microsoft) and do an auto search for an updated driver.
    The driver is dated September 1, 2020. That means it was updated between the Oculus problem starting and now, with the same result. Windows is doing great, it's Oculus that doesn't report the port correctly. But like I said, everything works fine so it's only a naming issue.

• Mazda_RonMazda_Ron Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I dispute the issue of everything being fine, crank some load onto the cpu by either recording via obs or whatever, look how choppy the game gets, now try do the 'disable/enable' trick or unplug replug until it shows as usb 3 in oculus software and do same test, it doesn't chop or hitch, this is an issue and has been for some time, it does hit performance.

now I don't buy this 'its your mobo/windows setup' nonsense.

Why would I be able to replug it in and it be usb 3, then stop the service running and next time it starts be back at usb 2? cable wasn't unplugged, windows still seen it connected, only oculus software is showing it as usb 2.

it's frustrating and a huge pain in the ass, sometimes I can't get it back to usb 3 at all and need to restart pc and try it all again, doesn't matter what is or is not plugged in or what port or card is used, its just oculus software that is the issue.
    Mazda_Ron said:
    I dispute the issue of everything being fine, crank some load onto the cpu by either recording via obs or whatever, look how choppy the game gets, now try do the 'disable/enable' trick or unplug replug until it shows as usb 3 in oculus software and do same test, it doesn't chop or hitch, this is an issue and has been for some time, it does hit performance.

Your dispute is duly noted. However, for me, the performance is fine. I don't do any recording or streaming, I don't super sample. I do everything as vanilla as possible.

I agree with it being Oculus software causing the problem though. Today the app reports two different stories depending on where I click.