cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it my Quest, cable, or PC? that are having problems

Lucky0373
Sightseer
I've been having problems with stuttering/lagging with my quest linked up to my PC. I don't really know the cause of the problem because i just bought my quest around 4 days ago. At first i thought it was my cable because i was using a party link
cable that registered as USB 2 instead of 3 but now i have returned that
and now have the anker cable that i found from oculus. At first the anker cable worked fine but after a few hours it started to stutter/lag. Now i move on to my PC where i thought i maxed out my PC because of my specs (Core i5 7500, GTX 1060 6gb, 8gb ram) but when i run task manager to see how much of my PC is being used, it only gets as high as %80 (ram, cpu, maybe gpu?) before it starts to stutter/lag. Then i move on to my quest because sometimes the screens would freeze (while using quest link playing a game) while my tracking still works. Please let me know if you know the problem.

Also forgot to add that sometimes quest link doesnt work because when that happens i need to restart my quest or restart my PC.

4 REPLIES 4

Django-OS
Explorer
Hi! Several reasons are possible......
Because your Link is working, have a look on your Quest battery!
Most USB ports don't deliver the required Amps (only 0,9A). So when battery gets down Link could not work.

BTW:
Cable tests.. YES, I had the same problems (as all other have or had). And I can tell that it is not only the cable that produces bad links. Using the original Oculus cable my USB-C on RTX card don't work, my onboard AMD chipset (X570-pro) also don't work.
I only get Link working with an old ASM1142 chipset (additional card, only 1.5 Gbs)

Hope that helps

Lucky0373
Sightseer

Django-OS said:

Most USB ports don't deliver the required Amps (only 0,9A). So when battery gets down Link could not work.

BTW:
Cable tests.. YES, I had the same problems (as all other have or had). And I can tell that it is not only the cable that produces bad links. Using the original Oculus cable my USB-C on RTX card don't work, my onboard AMD chipset (X570-pro) also don't work.
I only get Link working with an old ASM1142 chipset (additional card, only 1.5 Gbs)

Hope that helps

thanks for telling me this. im gonna go test the games with a fully charged quest battery.

Lucky0373
Sightseer

Django-OS said:

BTW:

Hope that helps

yea so now it still does the same

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Try turning off anything running on the PC that uses an overlay (things that show your FPS on-screen), or turn off the overlay option. This includes the Steam overlay, GeForce Experience overlay, MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision, Fraps, and other system-monitoring utilities. Sometimes RGB lighting utilities and "night-mode" apps like F.lux can also be a problem.

These programs can interfere with the GPU streaming encoder, which Link uses. Most GPUs allow a limited number of encoding sessions to run simultaneously, and these types of programs reserve a session for themselves, which may prevent Link from having the resources it needs.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo