New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Comments

• V8GriffV8Griff Posts: 241
    Hiro Protagonist
    simonm74 wrote:
    Sorry V8Griff.... You are kind of `wrong` about the VR 1000 units being non Stereo..
    Ok Most were not.
    Just 2 games ever were. One `WAS` Dactly Nightmare`, and I think the other was Exorex. All the other games were not stereo, but these two did actually send a different POV image to each eye..
    Simon

PS: thanks V8Griff! for mentioning the Retro Computer Museum, in Leicester, UK!!
    Yes thats where one of my VR machines is - well along with the dead CS and the problematic SD units too.
    the other working machine is in my garage.
    Both will be at the Play Expo Event in Manchester UK, in October - Playing Dactly Nightmare Multi-Player!

Hi Simon, Any guesses to who I am? ;)

I don't think we've had this discussion but while the systems are 'capable' of stereo they never ran as 3D even the 2000 series ran with 100% overlap, maybe that's another reason that motion sickness wasn't a feature of the Virtuality systems.
  • henleybhenleyb Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Great work, as a 15 year-ish old kid I pumped a lot of my pocket money in to experiencing Virtuality. I was blown away by it and the potential; I couldn't wait the 3 years I thought it would take to be able to experience VR on my own home computer. :lol:
  • simonm74simonm74 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    V8Griff wrote:

I don't think we've had this discussion but while the systems are 'capable' of stereo they never ran as 3D even the 2000 series ran with 100% overlap, maybe that's another reason that motion sickness wasn't a feature of the Virtuality systems.

Yep, David - I know you :)

I spoke to Tarique about this, and it was him who said that there were only the 2 games that were real 3D, as I said above.
    To be honest, I was surprised when I was told, but I`m guessing its true :)

As for `lack of motion sickness`, I dont think its due to the dual display at all, as with my google cardboard, I`m fine using that, but I did feel sick on the Oc Rift within a minute!

Simon
  • V8GriffV8Griff Posts: 241
    Hiro Protagonist
    simonm74 wrote:
    V8Griff wrote:

Yep, David - I know you :)

I spoke to Tarique about this, and it was him who said that there were only the 2 games that were real 3D, as I said above.
    To be honest, I was surprised when I was told, but I`m guessing its true :)

As for `lack of motion sickness`, I dont think its due to the dual display at all, as with my google cardboard, I`m fine using that, but I did feel sick on the Oc Rift within a minute!

Simon

:D

Yes as I said before though, the games themselves may have been 3D but both Richard and Mark told me they didn't run in 3D, which would explain why just using 1 GFX card doesn't have any effect on the game or it's display.
  • simonm74simonm74 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    As far as know,

all first releases of all games did not run in 3D, but they updated two of them to run in 3D.

I may be wrong, but that's what I was told :P
  • EnmarkEnmark Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Work in progress is a NPC player with the ability to shoot back at you, and if this works out the same with the dactyl.

Thanx simonm74for the input on the game rules. It will definitely be implemented if the lizard gets an primitiv NPC AI. for now it's only a crappy animation on repeat! :?

Yesterday an intresting gamedisign error ocured after 5-10 min of gameplay! The dactyl got caught by on of the pods and lost a wing. :lol:

my own way of solving the "Pod seatbelt" (so the player doesnt fall of the pod when its moving) i use parenting moving object and it certainly has it flaws :roll:

9idyeh.jpg
    Hiro Protagonist
    1. Singel player with AI Enemy is on its way! *working*

2. SDK v0.4.2 Implemented *Test is on its way* (would need help to test this on a DK2, i have non yet) :)

3. Dactyl AI is next on the list *Not started*

4. Score GUI *Not started*
  • purifier82purifier82 Posts: 310
    Hiro Protagonist
    dk2 owner available for testing, just give me a link to download :D
    Si vis pacem para bellum
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Another willing DK2 tester here :)
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Hiro Protagonist
    Great! i will post you as soon as i have something ready for the next release 2.0 :D
    Hiro Protagonist
    xgma8l.jpg

Experimenting with FOV. :)

ON/OFF Keys is avalible! :D
    Hiro Protagonist
    Don't forget to include a recenter key!
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    Hiro Protagonist
    like when you turn (reality) in one direction you could recenter the VR world in front of you?

Or do yo mean the FOV?
    Hiro Protagonist
    The re-center key for positional tracking, since my camera is looking down on my position 99% of the time I can't use the default position in game, so in those rare cases when the demo doesn't have a re-center key I cannot play at all...
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dactyl "Nightmare" 2.0 is released for the Oculus team to Approve on Nov 02. Now waiting for the approval or back to the workbench :D

2.0 Version include:

* DK2 compatibility

* Shootable (simple NPC) Opponent that explodes like the original game.

* Dactyl grabs you after 8 shots (original game).

* Shootable Dactyl bird (exploads. not sure if it did in the original!)

* Gravity and Grenade tweaked to behave like the original game.

* Lots of other tweaks to get it to run without glitches and crap :D

* 0.4.3 SDK in the FPS version.

* 0.4.2 SDK in the Hydra version. (Sixsense driver not working with 0.4.3)

* Easter egg previously disabled now enabled. :mrgreen:
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can't wait to see it on the share finally :D
    Si vis pacem para bellum
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nice.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ccp001ccp001 Posts: 232
    Brain Burst
    so where is version 2.0 demo again? thank you it looks cool
    Hiro Protagonist
    still whaiting for the review and approval.

will be hosting it on the theriftarcade as well when it is up on the oculus "share"
    Hiro Protagonist
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Awesome work! Seems faithful to the original.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanx. i really wish i had more skills in java and Unity. im painstakingly learning by doing and still cheat my way thou the process. still using plenty of mechanics instead of real game programming :oops:
  • soveryoldsoveryold Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    you're doing a very good job .. i designed and produced all the graphics for the original game .. which i'd like to add wasn't originally created as a 'game' - it was actually our first ever test environment (when virtuality was still just w-industries) .. which then 'morphed' into a game - the minimal background was to help framerate, the pillars and shapes for draw-sorting, the steps for static collisions, the bullets for.. well, you get the idea, anyway .. i think the dactyl was the only thing that wasn't added for any particular purpose :0) .. answering some of the comments i've seen on here .. yes it was a proper 3D environment, i don't think the headsets were running stereo at the time, but the tracking was definitely 6dof, i can only apologise for the headset res, the frame-rate and the realism of the graphics (lack of), but remember the tech and the tools were all very basic back then :0)
    Hiro Protagonist
    soveryold: Love to hear from you! i really want to thank you for this new insight and view, in the making of the original "nightmare" game.
    I always found it confusing to see why there was this first version and then later in all arcades the second version with some more game elements and modeling.

I know i only tried the original nightmare version on computer fair in Sweden around 94.

the Nightmare demo/game is probably the best known Vr app known by like minded people and deserve its place in history by making a huge mark and impact on the VR dreamers around the globe!

best regards "Breton"
  • theregoes2theregoes2 Posts: 198
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wow! Someone who made that game is here? That's incredible. I played it around '92 and I immediately became obsessed with VR. Roughly 22 years I waited to play VR again and I stopped in to every Arcade I ever came across desperately hoping to see it again, but I never did. My entire life goal for a huge chunk of my life was to make enough money to buy a Dactyl Terror of my own someday to have at home, thanks to Oculus and Breton, it actually happened (or close enough anyway).
    Ordered: June 4th
    ON, Canada
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey Breton! Are you planning on updating your Dactyl remake to SDK 0.7 or maybe later to 1.0? I'd love to keep it in my library for CV1 and beyond. Also: Oculus Touch? :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes! i'm actually waiting for the final HMD Release because it's only months away. and i would like to make it multiplayer in some way. i there is somebody out there how would like to help or point me in the right direction i love it.
    for the moment i'm considering going from Unity to Unreal engine.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Awesome! Wish I could help you with the multiplayer programming. :-/

Out of interest: Why switch to UE4? It's not like you wanna fancy up the 90s graphics, or do you? ;) Or is the ease of blueprint programming?
    Hiro Protagonist
    i hope its more easy to use more. butt then again i avent tryed the free alterantivs of multiplayer packs to Unity5 yet!
  • DarkTenkaDarkTenka Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Sorry for bumping a really old thread, does anyone know where I can download this demo? The Oculus Share link just takes me to the store.

I would really like to play this, I saw it at an exhibit when I was like 8 years old, my brother got to play it but I never got a chance. Never saw it again after that .. this demo has some kind of nostalgia-retribution value to me.