New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,262 Volunteer Moderator
    This was my first virtual reality experience. It came to a mall in town as a temporary exhibit when I was in university, back in the early '90s. It wasn't terribly sophisticated, but still made a big impression. Looking forward to trying this, just for the nostalgia.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • EnmarkEnmark Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    kevinw729 said:
    Looks fun.

No sure how many of you know how the game got created. Funny story.
    soveryold said:
    you're doing a very good job .. i designed and produced all the graphics for the original game .. which i'd like to add wasn't originally created as a 'game' - it was actually our first ever test environment (when virtuality was still just w-industries) .. which then 'morphed' into a game - the minimal background was to help framerate, the pillars and shapes for draw-sorting, the steps for static collisions, the bullets for.. well, you get the idea, anyway .. i think the dactyl was the only thing that wasn't added for any particular purpose :0) .. answering some of the comments i've seen on here .. yes it was a proper 3D environment, i don't think the headsets were running stereo at the time, but the tracking was definitely 6dof, i can only apologise for the headset res, the frame-rate and the realism of the graphics (lack of), but remember the tech and the tools were all very basic back then :0)

• VRbandwagonVRbandwagon Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Breton said:
    i designed and produced all the graphics for the original game ..
    Wait... you are one of the original designers?! Sir, this is making me 100X even more excited than I already was! Please release this jewel at once! Whatever I can do to contribute (French translation, Japanese translation), please let me know!
  • DarkTenkaDarkTenka Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Breton said:
    Wait... you are one of the original designers?! Sir, this is making me 100X even more excited than I already was! Please release this jewel at once! Whatever I can do to contribute (French translation, Japanese translation), please let me know!
    He was quoting what someone else said to him. If you look on the 1st or 2nd page, a guy named "soveryold" is the person he's referring to. However he hasnt posted again since in a very long time.

Still cool to know that he's seen the project and approves though :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    yes its somehow one of the greatest moment in my newbie dev journey,  to be greeted and recognized by the original producers. And now i have the blessing of both the original graphic designer and programmer to release my work in a memorial production, of course free without any profit making. because i don't own the legal rights to the title.  :)
    NerveGear
    KillCard said:
    Breton said:
    He was quoting what someone else said to him. If you look on the 1st or 2nd page, a guy named "soveryold" is the person he's referring to. However he hasnt posted again since in a very long time.

Still cool to know that he's seen the project and approves though :)
    Woops... well, it was late and I had had a few drinks, haha! I'll be careful next time!
    NerveGear
    Breton said:
    yes its somehow one of the greatest moment in my newbie dev journey,  to be greeted and recognized by the original producers. And now i have the blessing of both the original graphic designer and programmer to release my work in a memorial production, of course free without any profit making. because i don't own the legal rights to the title.  :)
    Do you plan on releasing it on Oculus Home? Of course, if the original graphic designer and programmer agree... Did they give you some kind of private internal info in order to make it faithful to the original?

I can't wait for you to announce the imminent release on /r/oculus! I'm convinced a large portion of its readers are people who tried (or dreamed to try) the original Virtuality version, so the visibility will be multiplied!
    Hiro Protagonist
    They have given me there blessing of release if they are mentioned correct and that is for me an honor totally out of this world to have them wanting their names in my shameful production.

But i have an insider on the game in my friend Simon working with the real deal!  : 
    http://www.retro-vr.co.uk/test/vr1000cs.html

I want to make it as real as it gets but sadly, the Youtube Clips is the closest i've get.
    Im using a bit of both the first demo "Nightmare"  and the later game "Dactyl Nightmare"  

Hiro Protagonist
    They have given me there blessing of release if they are mentioned correct and that is for me an honor totally out of this world to have them wanting their names in my shameful production.

But i have an insider on the game in my friend Simon working with the real deal!  : 
    http://www.retro-vr.co.uk/test/vr1000cs.html

I want to make it as real as it gets but sadly, the Youtube Clips is the closest i've get.
    Im using a bit of both the first demo "Nightmare"  and the later game "Dactyl Nightmare"  

NerveGear
    I think that once it's on Steam or Home, it will get enough attention, therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and suck if you let them know. This forum is a bit obscure in my opinion.

Any chance we can get a release date? Do you need beta testers?
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 951
    3Jane
    V8Griff said:

There is a guy in the UK who has refurbished a 1000CS and I played it about a month ago. It was excellent and despite the low res graphics there was no motion sickness
    If you watch the video embedded at the top of page 1 you will see the reporter definitely had motion sickness. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I think that once it's on Steam or Home, it will get enough attention, therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and suck if you let them know.
    Yea i hopped in the beginning to get allot of help... but there where no one interested, frankly i believe everyone has there own projects and its always hard to cowork over distance.  :)
    The largest help i have received is all helpful Unity Youtube lessons. Without them i had newer started out at all with unity. And there's also several users on oculus forum, ho have helped me  with there scripting skills, for the first release on DK1 and DK2. on the oculus share 

NerveGear
    Wow, I just saw a typo that could be misinterpreted. "[...] therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and such [...]"
    Wow, I just saw a typo that could be misinterpreted. "[...] therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and such [...]"
    I thought you were offering a special kind of help.  ;)  :*
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Hiro Protagonist
    OK. im closing in on release! ....but! ...reading the legal terms in the oculus Publishing notes gives me the creeps! i Dont OWN the title Dactyl Nightmare or any off the "Art" making it what it is.

I only got the permission from the original Programmer and Art designer to publish, if its free of charge and their names are credited in the opening intro. 

Could this in any way backfire if i publish in the store and oculus decides im owing them money because they have been sued by someone holding the actual copywright to the title?

Is there some other place i could release the game free without risking being used as a means of "money making copywright case"  

Any staff here that could break this down to me? :)

edited February 2017
    It might be wise to change the name slightly to indicate that this is a tribute to the original Dactyl Nightmare and not an official re-release. The rest of the art should be fine since you re-created it yourself.

Your risk is low if you're not selling the game, thus no money has been made from it, but still, better safe than sorry. The legal copyright owner could still claim damages due to lost potential to make and sell a Dactyl Nightmare game even if you didn't make money.

I believe the original copyright would still be in effect regardless of what has happened to the original owners. The real question is whether anyone would come after you and what action they would take (probably a cease-and-desist along with a demand to change the name, as a first step).

Maybe "Terror-Dactyl", "Dino Nightmare", " Dactyl Reboot", or "Low-Poly Barf-Fest"?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks! yes i beleve this to, thing is i realy think i have to get in contact with the Oculus publishing staff to get there opinion in printed text (legability) before i could use the store. 

love the naming sggestion:  "Low-Poly Barf-Fest"  :D
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    "Terror-Dactyl" is pretty good.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    edited February 2017
    In keeping with the original naming convention i think you should just add to it
    Nightmare
    Dactyl-Nightmare
    Terror-Dactyl-Nightmare 
    Also add something of your own to it that from this gen. Just one wall witha  ridiculously high rez texture or something ;)
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Breton said:
    Thanks! yes i beleve this to, thing is i realy think i have to get in contact with the Oculus publishing staff to get there opinion in printed text (legability) before i could use the store. 

love the naming sggestion:  "Low-Poly Barf-Fest"  :D
    On my way home from trying Dactyl Nightmare back in the early '90s, there were some drunk kids on the bus. One of them puked all over, and to me it looked like the explosion of colourful pixels that happened when you shot the low-poly enemy guys. That mental image, and the association with the VR experience I had just had, stuck with me for a long time.
    Hiro Protagonist
    current owner seems to be this firm according to wikipedia

http://www.arcadianvr.com/CONTACT.htm

and of course the mail is bouncing  :/
    Wintermute
    Breton said:
    current owner seems to be this firm according to wikipedia

http://www.arcadianvr.com/CONTACT.htm

and of course the mail is bouncing  :/
    According to that site, they were acquired by these people:

http://virtuositytech.com/

Perhaps give them a shout?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    there is no way they could possibly be still selling those systems :o    
    http://virtuositytech.com/index.php/systems/4-hardware

Wintermute
    RABID said:
    there is no way they could possibly be still selling those systems :o    
    http://virtuositytech.com/index.php/systems/4-hardware

HAH ... yea no I highly doubt it.

But @Breton might have more success with email responses maybe.. worth a shot.
    Hiro Protagonist
    ViRtuosityTech has also ported the software titles originally offered with the Virtuality systems to run on Windows, OSX, Xbox and PS systems. Users can now purchase and play, Dactyl Nightmare, Ghost Train, VR Missile Command, Virtual Boxing, Zone Hunter, Pac Man VR, and Shoot for Loot, on their current systems (works with the Oculus Rift©

ok..thats it. im closing down.......4 years of hard work down he drain.....it was a rush but tonight i'm  going for the bottle..   :( 
    Wintermute
    Breton said:
    ViRtuosityTech has also ported the software titles originally offered with the Virtuality systems to run on Windows, OSX, Xbox and PS systems. Users can now purchase and play, Dactyl Nightmare, Ghost Train, VR Missile Command, Virtual Boxing, Zone Hunter, Pac Man VR, and Shoot for Loot, on their current systems (works with the Oculus Rift©

ok..thats it. im closing down.......4 years of hard work down he drain.....it was a rush but tonight i'm  going for the bottle..   :( 
    Thats rough man :(.

Don't immediately give up though, you should still reach out to them and see if they would be ok with you releasing your version for free.

Otherwise you could just release it and wait for them to DMCA you, then remove it ... it worked for AM2R.

Obviously they don't really have those titles available for Oculus Rift anywhere, otherwise we would have purchased them and been playing them all this time. That sentence on their web site merely suggests that they have intentions of creating it and possibly may be currently working on it, though I have rather large doubts that any work has been done just yet.

It's at least worth pursuing contact to clarify.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes. you are probably right.
     And i will try to contact them. otherwise i will probably change the name of the game and release it as freeware within the Dev forum. I relay like my work to be avalibel to anyone interested in this.

thing is i wanted so much to be apart of the Oculus store and once and for all have my real name behind the product. 

Wintermute
    Breton said:
    Yes. you are probably right.
     And i will try to contact them. otherwise i will probably change the name of the game and release it as freeware within the Dev forum. I relay like my work to be avalibel to anyone interested in this.

thing is i wanted so much to be apart of the Oculus store and once and for all have my real name behind the product. 

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully they are cool.
    Hiro Protagonist
    OK i have talked to the guy actually owning all the software! and he wants me to send over a demo and to talk things over about the legal aspect  :#
    Wintermute
    Breton said:
    OK i have talked to the guy actually owning all the software! and he wants me to send over a demo and to talk things over about the legal aspect  :#
    Fingers crossed all goes well!