New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Comments

• DarkTenkaDarkTenka Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited April 2017
    Breton said:
    Score working. 3min countdown and Dactyl warning sprite installed :)

and its possible to turn it off/on by press of a button (like the emulated 60 deg FOV.)

I can barely remember, but I recall a sound effect being played like a deep voice saying "Dactal incoming" before it approaches. I'm not even sure if thats correct or I'm making it up, it has been so long, is there something to that effect in the game?

Also after your communications Virtuosity, was it possible to obtain any of the original sound assets for the game? Maybe asking too much I guess but you never know.
  • EnmarkEnmark Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes. there are several effects like the voice is saying "Bird is Hungry" as a warning and then Bird is coming. but i have only the later in my game . if i could get hold of the original sound effects i would use them all :)

but i haven't pressed for this because its  probably  to much work to extract from the original game. I found the original soundtrack on a suspect Amiga sound/music site, i cant find anymore.
    but i have chosen to extract the music from one of the available Youtube clips instead. because of the better ambient sound it made.

Wintermute
    Breton said:
    Yes. there are several effects like the voice is saying "Bird is Hungry" as a warning and then Bird is coming. but i have only the later in my game . if i could get hold of the original sound effects i would use them all :)

but i haven't pressed for this because its  probably  to much work to extract from the original game. I found the original soundtrack on a suspect Amiga sound/music site, i cant find anymore.
    but i have chosen to extract the music from one of the available Youtube clips instead. because of the better ambient sound it made.

Yea I figured it would probably be a long shot getting a hold of the original assets. Especially since the company already changed hands and the software was on an entirely different platform. I like that you somehow managed to snag the music though.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2017
    Sound :
    - 1 Mb 8Bit sample memory (Stereo)
    - Background music : yes, CD audio
    https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=dactyl-nightmare&page=detail&id=12493

that explains it...its on a separated media!

original song presumably made by Daniel Bury and is called  "snakedance"?  
    http://www.arianchen.de/su2000/files/dactloop.wav
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    edited April 2017
    Go on my son.

Get it published.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nice job.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    YAY!!!!
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Wintermute
    Congratulations!

I can't wait! :D
  • dft69dgdft69dg Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Have they given you a time frame for store release? BTW What sort of coin shall we save for this game?
    Hiro Protagonist
    well back to the drawingboard.....seem my app is no fun :)

No Entitlment checks = add
    Config window on startup = remove
    Fail to reorient direction to forward after reset in universal menu? = no idea. have to check this
    Wintermute
    Breton said:
    well back to the drawingboard.....seem my app is no fun :)

No Entitlment checks = add
    Config window on startup = remove
    Fail to reorient direction to forward after reset in universal menu? = no idea. have to check this
    Boo. ... 
    Oh well, point 2 should be easy enough.

The other 2 seem interesting? I've not heard of "entitlement checks" I'm assuming it means checking for Oculus Home .. are we to assume when you solve these it will be green light? or are there other issues?
    Hiro Protagonist
    probably only to solve them to have it published. :)

(every other obstacle in this thread is solved)
    Hiro Protagonist
    ok. i believe its done. I was a little to trigger happy to publish,  Will send it off tonight after work :)

( Several last things added like "Easter egg" reworked.....  B)  )
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    any news?
    Hiro Protagonist
    its in for review a second time because i'm a noob dev, trying to decipher all the demands publishing in the store is requiring   :s

I hope i got the Entitlement checks right this time. i can't figure out why you will need a external script to invoke the Entitlement check..... why its not a part of the Unity oculus package!
    Wintermute
    Image result for celebration
    2014-05-29-iStockHuffPostCelebrationMay2920142jpg
    Image result for celebration

Congrats mate. :)

• dft69dgdft69dg Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Good work Mate!! I have watched your progress on here for a couple of years and am more than happy to buy your game, you earned it :#
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks @dft69dg its exactly why i have strive forward every time i had a setback, to give people like my self the possibility to once again visit the first attempt of commercial VR fore a bigger audience.

And this humble project is going to be free of charge. because i do not own the title and possibly be reached by more users. 

My work has never been around profit. only the love of the Virtuality Arcade system fueling my dreams of commercial VR for 25 Years  <3 
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    Holy crap, I can't wait to try this!! Congrats!

Hiro Protagonist
    Your app will be released on 5/24 for free under the Gallery Apps section of the Rift store.

Judgment day is coming!  :D

• VRbandwagonVRbandwagon Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I'm so glad to hear that! My childhood dream is becoming reality! Thank you so much Mr. Breton!

How's the Steam version coming along?
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    Steam publishing form (used to maintain quality on steam):
    We can make monies from it?
    If no, is it free?

If yes to either of these, quality checks complete amd passed.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Steam publishing is my next goal! i will have use of testers with Vive equipment. because i cant afford to own both HMD platforms  :/
  • JohnVRfanJohnVRfan Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Awesome work! Great job man. Good luck with Steam!
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    happy days, looking forward to this.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Wintermute
    Just a couple more days!

What a journey. :)