New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The newer touch controls crack like eggs.

inovatorinovator Posts: 2,591 Valuable Player
How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,758 Valuable Player
    edited June 9
    Been using mine hard for a year now with no problem. Have even dropped on my concrete floor a time or two.
    I would also add I do a fair amount of flight sims where I don't use controllers. But I have used them off and on quite a bit.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,591 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Been using mine hard for a year now with no problem. Have even dropped on my concrete floor a time or two.
    I would also add I do a fair amount of flight sims where I don't use controllers. But I have used them off and on quite a bit.
    Wow maybe some, but not all were defective
    My cv1 controller when I was a newer user hit much harder on the wall on floors and not one crack. How the f..k does a controller  break when dropped 3 feet on thick carpet. Anyway I still enjoy my rift s and the controllers still work. Just wanted to vent
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,445 Valuable Player
    There is no doubt that the new Quest/Rift S controllers (I believe those are identical) are nowhere near as well made as the original Rift cv1 controllers as far as durability goes.  Also, the total joystick movement seem larger with the Rift cv1 controllers.  The new thumb sticks have a outer ring that limits travel a little bit.

On a positive side, the new controllers weight ~30g (~1oz) less than the original cv1's.  Plus, all Oculus touch controllers are a heck of a lot better than my Vive Wands, lol!

Aside; I wonder who actually made the Quest/Rift S controllers, Oculus or Lenovo?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• CoopalooperCoopalooper Posts: 2 Oculus Start Member
    inovator said:
    How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.
    Hi @inovator - what type of tape did you use on the cracks? Mine just revealed a tiny hairline crack, but I think it's causing drift issues, and wondered if the type of tape for a patch made a difference.
    I used a little black duct tape. Possibly not necessary but just to make it more secure. They still work perfectly fine. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,363 Valuable Player
    inovator said:

I agree its an issue. The Oculus Facebook forums have been inundated with pictures of broken wrings and cracked controllers, including the battery door issue. I am always amazed that this stuff is never being discussed at this official forum? I am worried that if only a sanitized view of the roll outs is "allowed" on the forum then the dev teams may get lulled into thinking there is no issue, as we saw with the God-Ray, or the Red-Screen issues.
    rlwvperoke0n.jpg
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    Mine are still undamaged despite heavy use. Then again, I'm careful about always using the wrist straps to avoid dropping, and set up my Guardian so that there's some clearance between it and any wall/object.
    Wow. It pays to be pixie your magic!
    Art3mis
    No magic involved, just being aware that it's possible to damage the controllers so I'm careful with them.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 345
    Trinity
    Dropped mine several times, knocked them together and they still perfecty fine. It looks like they are build weaker then the CV1 controllers but in practice mine endured a fair beating and are still fine.
    Thmoas said:
    Dropped mine several times, knocked them together and they still perfecty fine. It looks like they are build weaker then the CV1 controllers but in practice mine endured a fair beating and are still fine.
    I guess some can be defected. 
    I would guess +95% are fine (mine included) and many of those that report problems have not been properly using guardian and/or banging controllers together.  People who report that dropping them to a carpeted floor are kinda full of it imho.  Either that or they have already damaged them.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    I would guess +95% are fine (mine included) and many of those that report problems have not been properly using guardian and/or banging controllers together.  People who report that dropping them to a carpeted floor are kinda full of it imho.  Either that or they have already damaged them.
    No I'm not full of it. That really happened. It's not neccesary to be insulting. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,975 Valuable Player
    edited July 27
    While I can't comment on all controllers how they got damage - keep in mind that the top heavy versions do get more wear and tear than the bottom design ones along where the stress points will be at. In the case of the top ones - the pressure will be right in the middle at the top area where the bottom design ones could use the base to disrupt more energy/impact. By wear and tear - I mean that most games that have you swing your controllers will have more power moves upwards than downwards where you will hit more objects on the daily with the ring than the old style with your fist..

With that said - they are making them lighter as well so the plastic used could make a difference. I can't comment on that as there have been no test on what plastic either controller uses, but I assume its the same stuff. The point thought is that don't drop your stuff - carefully still sit it down. Don't treat it like its a toy - yet - as it still cost a pretty penny.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,948 Valuable Player
    inovator said:

Oh man that sucks.  I have the original touch that came out for the old rift from the first run.  I've punched walls and flung them across the room and they hardly got marks on them.  They're made of sturdy plastic.  It's a shame to hear the new touch have the structural integrity of balsa wood.
    @Mradr All good points mate, thanks.  Other posters are not so good but thankfully the Ignore feature on this forum works a treat.  Oh the Serenity, lol!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WLuQOLq5Q

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,725 Valuable Player
    I feel sorry for you guys with the cheap, light weight, brittle plastic controllers. :'(

I used to have a ceiling fan above my play area. On one occasion I reached above me and my CV1 Touch Controller showed that fan just who's boss. The fan is now gone and the Touch Controller has a very hard to see mark on the ring. I think it's time Oculus paid extra to get the good plastic back again.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

falken76 said:
    inovator said:

Oh man that sucks.  I have the original touch that came out for the old rift from the first run.  I've punched walls and flung them across the room and they hardly got marks on them.  They're made of sturdy plastic.  It's a shame to hear the new touch have the structural integrity of balsa wood.
    Ya I have the rift cv1 too. The controllers are like tanks.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 225
    Nexus 6
    My left Rift S controller ring is loose. It still works tho. I smashed it to wall when trying to stab someone in Blade and sorcery.
    Art3mis
    saami81 said:
    My left Rift S controller ring is loose. It still works tho. I smashed it to wall when trying to stab someone in Blade and sorcery.

And this, my friends, is why I have a buffer zone between my Guardian and any wall or electronic (such as the TV).
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,742 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
     People who report that dropping them to a carpeted floor are kinda full of it imho.  Either that or they have already damaged them.

Agreed. I've dropped my GO controller and both of my Quest controllers on a hardwood floor multiple times. Mostly because I don't like to use the hand straps. Despite all the falls, all controllers still work like a champ.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    I've dropped my Touch controllers a couple times each when they accidentally got knocked off the shelf I store them on or my computer desk while playing Subnautica in VR. They landed on carpet, but the carpet is thin and doesn't provide much cushioning. They are entirely undamaged though. As Imentioned, I'm careful about ensuring I use the wrist straps in order to avoid dropping/throwing them. I'm also careful to ensure there's clearance between the Guardian and any object I might accidentally punch. That way I'm warned I'm getting close to such an object before I hit it.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,637 Volunteer Moderator
    One of my Quest controllers has developed a crack above the trigger, although I'm not aware of having hit it against anything. It still works perfectly, but they definitely don't seem as solid as the v1 Touch controllers. Those things take a hell of a beating (I had to repaint my office due to all the marks from hitting the walls with them).

I'm excited about the new v3 Touch controllers seen in the recent leaked photos. It looks like they're taking a page from the originals--hopefully they have similar durability.

Oculus Quest 2 To Enter Full Production As New Photos Leak - What

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,758 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    inovator said:

I agree its an issue. The Oculus Facebook forums have been inundated with pictures of broken wrings and cracked controllers, including the battery door issue. I am always amazed that this stuff is never being discussed at this official forum? I am worried that if only a sanitized view of the roll outs is "allowed" on the forum then the dev teams may get lulled into thinking there is no issue, as we saw with the God-Ray, or the Red-Screen issues.

I doubt there is any worry there, pretty sure Oculus allows anything and everything to be posted on theses forums.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    God Rays were discussed openly on this forum since 2016. Just one example:

But we can just search the entire forum for "god rays" to see how much and how often it was discussed. I don't think Oculus was ignoring the God rays issue, and they eventually tried reducing it with a software update back round 2017. I believe it was just accepted as a current trade-off.

The same with the new controllers. I'm sure the engineers are aware that lighter and less durable controllers will result in a higher percentage of damage. But it is a clear trade-off for cost and manufacturing purposes. The original Touch controllers are incredibly durable, but they also cost $200 for a pair! lol
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,975 Valuable Player
    edited July 28
    Eh - I dont think the controllers cost that much to make - while I think they cost more than current ones - these are one of them items I am sure they make some good markup on.

If I could make one request if we're getting new controllers - is to have that strap around the hands like on the Index some how. Yea I know you can get mods for them - but it be nice to have it built in as an option. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,992 Valuable Player
    Yea, I just jumped back into my CV1 to test some games and mannnn it felt so good to use the old Touch again. I personally don't love the newer touch. The top heaviness still bugs me to this day since I first tried them but I don't hate them either. The old set were just perfection, they feel so good in the hand that the extra weight doesn't matter to me.
    Mradr said:
    Eh - I dont think the controllers cost that much to make - while I think they cost more than current ones - these are one of them items I am sure they make some good markup on.
    Cost-cutting is essential for profits though. Just because it doesn't "cost that much" doesn't negate their impact on ROI. Restaurants go through this very thing. You ever been to a restaurant and notice how they go from big paper towels down to flimsy napkins? lol
    It's basic business finance. I had to fill out all sorts of balance sheets back when I was at the university going through these exercises.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,363 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    I doubt there is any worry there, pretty sure Oculus allows anything and everything to be posted on theses forums.

Oh, I think you know it was not Oculus I was talking about allowing discussion :)
    rlwvperoke0n.jpg
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,637 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    dburne said:

Oh, I think you know it was not Oculus I was talking about allowing discussion :)
    We allow all manner of complaints here without censoring. Some members do little else but complain about Oculus products and/or management, and yet they remain here year after year. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0