New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Anyone else notice how the Quests can see through thin plastic?

POLYBlUSPOLYBlUS Posts: 7
NerveGear
I found out while being in passthrough on my friends Oculus Quest. Its really cool to see how the controllers are built let alone my remotes around the house. Good for finding issues in Xbox Controllers if you have an internal break.

Comments

• wuzpwuzp Posts: 320
    Trinity
    edited June 9
    It is because the cameras "see" into the IR spectrum; in order to detect the controllers.  First thing I did was use this new "feature" to check how much was left in my (black opaque) bottle of Hennessy Black.
    :D
  • FlyingHeroVRFlyingHeroVR Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    As long as they don't disable it now like Oneplus did with their monochrome sensor...
    Trinity
    If hand tracking becomes a more reliable "thing," they might.
  • POLYBlUSPOLYBlUS Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    That's insane, its such a cool little detail to show others. I swear, I could be entertained by this thing and not even have to download a single game.
    Trinity
    Play "guess how much wine is left" in the carton :D
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,472 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 10
    Technically the cameras are visible and IR spectrums, unlike the Rift CV1 cameras which are pure IR. The Quest/Rift-S need the visible spectrum too because indoor lighting gives off nearly zero IR, room tracking would fail. So they have a wider spectrum that covers IR and visible.

As long as they don't disable it now like Oneplus did with their monochrome sensor...
    They can't disable IR on the existing Quest cameras, that requires installing a piece of IR filtering glass behind each lens (and that would stop touch controllers from working). It can't be ignored in software since it's just a monochrone signal (no distinction between IR and visible components). They can't turn the cameras off either since then there would be no tracking of the headset, controllers or hands.
    The Oneplus could disable it because the IR camera was separate to the colour cameras, turn off the IR and the other 3 (normal, wide and telephoto) cameras still work like normal. On the Quest, all 4 cameras have IR.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,851 Valuable Player
    Now, only if it could see through some clothes.... :3
    Trinity
    Mradr said:
    Now, only if it could see through some clothes.... :3
    If the ambient temperature was lower than the subject's body heat, and the clothing was slightly sheer...
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,194 Valuable Player
    Wow the early teen ager me would have been investigating this very closely.  
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • POLYBlUSPOLYBlUS Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    That's really interesting to hear about. Id love to know how these gadgets/systems do what they do, in depth. Damn... still waiting on mine to come in and I couldn't be anymore impatient :0