New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

StarWars Squadrons Official Reveal and Gameplay Trailers - Full PCVR support

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,859 Valuable Player
edited June 19 in Games and Apps
Kinda looks way too awesome to be true... (in 90 fps, SteamVR res 150+ %, Reverb G2 - 3080 Tis may sell like hot cakes, lol)

October 2, 2020

STAR WARS™: Squadrons is available October 2, 2020 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Origin PC, Steam, Epic Games Store, and Virtual Reality (VR) on PlayStation 4 and PC with cross-play support.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222730/STAR_WARS_Squadrons/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,859 Valuable Player
    Interesting, seems like the recommended VR specs are just an i7 7700K and a GTX 1070...

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/overview/pc-system-requirements?isLocalized=true
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,015 Valuable Player
    Aw bollocks, didn't see this thread, started another one in General 😂😂😂
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited June 15
    snowdog said:
    Aw bollocks, didn't see this thread, started another one in General 😂😂😂
    The more the merrier  B)

Btw, I'm starting to get slightly excited about that SW game, but I've been hurt before, I'll doubt everything until I see some positive reviews...  o:) 

Maybe the PS4 is our savior, like Moss and Trover, making sure that the poly levels aren't too high to ensure great performance and then adding some nice high-res pc textures...

edited June 15
    Seems like the game requires a gamepad or mouse/keyboard - and will not support Touch or Knuckles - that's not really "full PCVR support" in my book, but I guess I'll manage... 

According to the devs:

“We created this game for every Star Wars fan who has ever dreamt about soaring across the galaxy in their favourite starfighter,” said Motive Studios’ creative director Ian Frazier in a statement. “We’ve been able to create a high-fidelity starfighter experience with an authentic storyline that invites Star Wars fans to explore never-before-seen corners of the galaxy in their own ship.”

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 369
    Trinity
    As much as I love Star Wars, Star Wars games even more so, I'm pre planning on passing on this now. EA's Battlefront was nice to look at but was extremely difficult to find a controller setting for a flight stick. Battlefront !! was impossible with direct input or HOTAS controllers. I put quite a lot of hours in the flight sim section of BF1. I don't think I have 10 min in BF2. The flight mechanics are just awful. Just too much detached from being a 360 flight sim for me to enjoy. 
    EA+ controller or mouse and keyboard. No thanks  
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,766 Valuable Player
    edited June 15
    If this comes to PS5 with VR Support, then it is a must-buy for me. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out upon release.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I'm hoping for HOTAS controls and SimTools compatibility but I doubt either one will end up happening.

I'm fine with gamepad controls, there are some AWESOME VR games with gamepad only controls.

But the thing that worries me is that it's EA. They're not exactly known for producing quality titles and it's probably going to be full of micro transactions.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I know EA gets a lot hate, but they do have some legendary Titles. McGee's Alice alone is iconic. 
    Zenbane said:
    I know EA gets a lot hate, but they do have some legendary Titles. McGee's Alice alone is iconic. 

Yup, that's one of the early games though. They used to be A LOT better than they are nowadays.

I haven't played much of their recent stuff. Although I did just purchase Jedi the Fallen Order today since it was 50% on Steam. It has some great reviews. We shall see!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,959 Valuable Player
    edited June 15
    I always get excited thinking the trailer is the actual gameplay footage at first. Then when the game hits it's usually nothing like I thought it was going to be. This is due out in October, so why is there no actual gameplay footage to be found anywhere? That usually tells me it's not as good as they are making it out to be and are just trying to get you exited by a trailer. I hope I'm wrong because I would love to have a good Star Wars dog fight.
    Oh shit!!!

It has HOTAS support:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/star-wars-squadrons/star-wars-squadrons/pre-order-star-wars-squadrons/

Have just pre-ordered, and I hardly EVER pre-order ANYTHING. 😁

EA had better not fuck this up, I'm getting fucking HYPED 😝😂

edited June 16
    RedRizla said:
    I always get excited thinking the trailer is the actual gameplay footage at first. Then when the game hits it's usually nothing like I thought it was going to be. 
    Agreed, unless it's Valve or Ready At Dawn I'll await the reviews - I still remember Seeking Dawn - that was the most awesome trailer  :'( 

(the game was still great, but not quite the same as the trailer)

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,480 Valuable Player
    Hey @RattyUK what are your thoughts on this?
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 369
    Trinity
    HOTAS support? Deal me in. 
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
    Can a Mod move this thread:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/12334/star-wars-battle-of-endor-updated-for-dk2-and-cv1/p1

To the Games and Apps sub-forum? Seems like a better place to put it I reckon!

• Ernimus_PrimeErnimus_Prime Posts: 393
    Trinity
    Just ordered a new Rift S to replace my old Rift.  Can't wait to play this.  I hope it won't disappoint.  Very excited.
    ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.
    snowdog said:

EA had better not fuck this up, I'm getting fucking HYPED 😝😂
    Yup, but with EA I'm afraid...  :#   

The odds of success are 725 to 1 - C3PO  Meme Generator

edited June 17
    Hmmm... 

"EA Recommends PlayStation VR Or Oculus Rift S For Star Wars: Squadrons"

https://www.vrfocus.com/2020/06/ea-recommends-playstation-vr-or-oculus-rift-s-for-star-wars-squadrons/

I read that as "we only optimized the game for PSVR because that's where the money is. As we all know, elephants can't fly, so you need a fairly low-res low-refresh-rate ASW 2.0 compatible hmd unless you just want to stay in the hangar"  :D  

snowdog said:
    Oh shit!!!

It has HOTAS support:
    Hmmm, does look kinda .... nice .... WAF probably really low...  :D
    Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Flightstick Joystick

PS. Does say about HOTAS: "We’ll have more details on supported sticks as we get closer to launch."

Better hold my HOTAS horses for now, lol

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,598 Valuable Player
    Looking at the latest trailers it does look quite scrumptious. :)
    edited June 19
    Gameplay trailer just arrived - does look great:

Note how bright the backgrounds are - it doesn't look like any kind of pitch black universe - and indicates that the game has been optimized for LCD hmds (which can't make deep blacks)... 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,201 Valuable Player
    Wow, I missed this thread. I saw the announcement for the game, didnt' realize it had VR support. That's huge.
    Good article on the game here:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-squadrons-interview

😁😎😁

Trinity
    I'm excited.  Hope the release more info in the coming months.  Hype train is at full hyper speed now lol
    ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.
    Trinity
    So, to play this on the Rift s.  We will have to buy the Steam version, correct?
    So, to play this on the Rift s.  We will have to buy the Steam version, correct?

Yes, and native Oculus drivers (ASW 2.0) may not be supported - we'll see. Still the devs recommend Rift-S and PSVR, could sound like native Oculus driver support to me.