cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Laggy Gameplay

EbenL
Honored Guest
Hi,

So i recently bought the Oculus Quest. And i've been having a blast.
But I only bought the quest because i knew you could also hook it up with your pc/laptop and use it like a rift S.
However, whenever i try to play games on the oculus quest with either a cable or wireless with virtual desktop i'm experiencing lagg, stutter, framedrops all over the place. 
It's simply unplayable...

I ofcourse checked to see if i have the minimum requirements and i should meet them.
I'm playing on a HP Omen laptop with following specs:
I7-9750H (intel turbo boost enabled - most of the time it runs at 3.6Ghz+)
RTX 2060 
16gb DDR4 RAM
All games are also installed on an internal SSD, and my average internet speed is 350mb/S

Yet both boneworks, half life alyx and Hellsplit are unplayable (hellsplit is semi-okey but still...) 

When i look at my taskmanager to see how much my hardware is putting out, it's rather low.
GPU gets around 30%
CPU gets around 40%
RAM usage is around 60%

Can someone please help? if i can't fix this i'm going to have to return it...Only playing the quest games isn't worth it for me.
3 REPLIES 3

enigma01
Trustee
Do you have any ‘ performance enhancing software’ like Razer Cortex etc installed or Nvidia Overlay turned on etc? I have a laptop with similar specs Acer Triton 500 (RTX 2080 Max Q though) HL Alyx and Boneworks work great for me on both Link and VD. I had terrible performance issues with Razer Cortex installed. 
When using VD are you using an Ethernet cable to connect your laptop to your router?

EbenL
Honored Guest
Hi

I have some razer software yes, but that's just the software to use my mouse, no game/performance enhancing features.
I do have Nvidia overlay but it's always turned off. 

I've tested VD with both Wifi and an Ethernet cable plugged in, they are both unplayable 😞 

I'll have a look if i can find any 'hidden" programms like Razer Cortex that influence performance.

eatfood10
Honored Guest
This sounds like exactly the same issue as me. Half life alyx runs awfully through steam VR - both using virtual desktop and oculus link. I tried Vader immortal episode one through the occulus app and link and that was awful too. i6700k, 32gb 3000mhz ram, 5700XT. Clearly something is preventing the PC passing the info to the quest. Interestingly the steam VR shows no issues with hitting the 13.9mhz but the framerate is still rubbish. Really ruining the experience of owning a quest - any suggestions welcome!