New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

A Fond Farewell to Oculus Go, Plus A New Distribution Path for Oculus Quest, Coming in 2021

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,108 Valuable Player
edited June 23 in General
Good golly, that tweet really does sound like the death knell for tethered PCVR from team Oculus. 

:D 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,212 Valuable Player

I have to agree - you just beat me to running this (lucky I doubled checked!!) :)

Here is some more info:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-go-gone/

This will make the Oculus Go the shortest selling VR system (not including the Microsoft Joystick). And kind of contradicts all the previous comments from posters on the success of the system?

This also reads quite clearly like the end of interest in supporting further PC VR projects for the short term - though not completely closing the door, (best to keep some options!)

Most of us had commented on this, when Oculus Go had been removed from the Enterprise (Oculus for Business) initiative, but now this seems to be the full stake through the heart - leaving the Mobile VR community that supported GearVR and then Oculus Go in a difficult position.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 318
    Trinity
    Good golly, that tweet really does sound like the death knell for tethered PCVR from team Oculus. 
     :D 
    You know your favorite technology has "made it," when marketing dictates product development.
  • KentobiKentobi Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    More like the death knell for SideQuest. The writing was on the wall when they started with the Go app pathway to Quest. Simplifies their product line, and drives more users and apps to a single point. Yeah, I think Facebook will stress wired VR less and less - the growth and excitement is in the self-contained space, not in the tethered space
    right now. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,468 Volunteer Moderator
    From the Oculus blog:
    As such, we’ll no longer be accepting Oculus Go apps or app updates into the Store as of December 4, 2020 and we’ll no longer publish any Go apps after December 18, 2020 (though if you have a current Go app in the Store, people will still be able to download and use it).
    That's not exactly nice. Apps can still be downloaded after the final date (that's good), but app developers will be blocked from providing updates to the version in the store.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,106 Valuable Player
    edited June 23
    I'd be happy for Oculus to mention standalone PC -VR, before the HP Reverb G2 hits this year. I believe the HP Reverb G2 will do well and Oculus will no doubt lose some of it's customers to HP. If I purchase a HP G2 I won't be looking to get another PC -VR headset unless it has something more to offer than the HP G2. I could be persuaded with a comfortable Hybrid VR headset though with Native PC -VR support.
  • jim.stoutamorejim.stoutamore Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This really pisses me off. I teach students how to create VR and the loss of a low cost headset (the cost of a textbook) means I may have to stop teaching this. 3 dof headsets are all that is needed for developing handicapped apps such as tours of national monuments in photo realistic VR. Movement is accomplished via teleporting. Facebook really doesn't care about handicapped access to national parks and monuments (no money in it), but the park service has a mandate to increase handicapped access. Have you ever tried to get a wheelchair into a cave? Or climb a rock cliff? Or dive a coral reef? I certainly hope someone else picks up the slack
    kojack said:
    From the Oculus blog:
    As such, we’ll no longer be accepting Oculus Go apps or app updates into the Store as of December 4, 2020 and we’ll no longer publish any Go apps after December 18, 2020 (though if you have a current Go app in the Store, people will still be able to download and use it).
    That's not exactly nice. Apps can still be downloaded after the final date (that's good), but app developers will be blocked from providing updates to the version in the store.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,526 Valuable Player

I don't agree - Oculus specifically states they'll now focus even more on RIft (=tethered VR):

We’ll end sales of Oculus Go headsets this year as we double down on improving our offerings for Quest and Rift.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    RuneSR2 said:
    I don't agree - Oculus specifically states they'll now focus even more on RIft (=tethered VR):

We’ll end sales of Oculus Go headsets this year as we double down on improving our offerings for Quest and Rift.

Well that should mean we will hear some major Rift developments at Oculus Connect 7 in a few weeks?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • slartibartphastslartibartphast Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    A soft-bricking, how nice.
    If they did this right they would: allow 3rd party apps to be freely loaded into it and/or let us trade in for credit toward a non dead option quest or rift,
  • tyson133tyson133 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    And once again those of us who are disabled and unable to use the Quest/Rift controllers get screwed.  The GO was the only VR with a controller that I could actually use, but Oculus doesn't care enough to even listen, because "There's an Oculus for everyone"....Yeah right.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,189 Valuable Player
    edited June 23
    Correct me if I am wrong but haven't all Go apps been made.compatible with quest (or should that be quest is made compatible with Go apps ?)
    If so it kind of makes sense.... If quest can do everything Go can do and a lot more then that is just progress imo.

The next stage could be to bring out a higher end standalone device to sit along side the quest which can hopefully completely tick all the boxes of rift S without any compromises. Then pull that too
    (My only slight concern there is weight ..... In my imaginings I would love the compute in such a device to be removable but I guess this adds to cost and inconvenience.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,108 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:

Rift is mentioned once in that announcement compared to Quest 16 times. I think it's perhaps prudent to desire a hybrid system from Oculus a QuestRift that allows for proper tethering to PC but also portable standalone all in the one headset. 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,406 Valuable Player
    edited June 23

I guess you didn't actually read what they said? Rune already corrected this, but it deserves another highlight due to the clickbait you dropped there, mister.

It's literally in the opening paragraph. The number of people that have wished the death of the Rift over the last 4 years is hilarious.

Hyperbolic clickbait aside, the news for Quest is great.

we recently shared that people have spent more than $100M on Quest content and more than 10 titles have generated over $2M in revenue on Quest. 

We’ve heard that many developers and enthusiasts are looking for easier ways to distribute apps outside of the Oculus Store. We're excited to announce that in early 2021 we’ll offer a new way for developers to distribute Quest apps. This will enable developers to share their apps to anyone with a Quest, without having to be accepted into the Oculus Store, and without the need for sideloading. 
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,108 Valuable Player
    edited June 23
    Hold yer defensive horses. If you read, I said the tweet sounded like the death knell not the blog post.

B) 

edited June 23
    Hold yer defensive horses. If you read, I said the tweet sounded like the death knell not the blog post.

The tweet links to an article that doubles down on the Rift.

And then people wonder why Oculus Staff doesn't post on this forum more often...  :D
    So fundimentally, the departure of Carmack and the closure of Oculus Texas could be seen as the starting gun for the end of Oculus Go... interesting.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    Carmack has not departed neither Oculus nor Facebook:

He will remain in a “consulting CTO” position at Oculus, where he will “still have a voice” in the development work at the company.

Carmack will still work on some VR projects at Facebook, a spokesperson told Variety. In addition to general advisory tasks, for example, he will keep working on projects that maximize VR visual quality on lower-powered mobile hardware. However, he says that VR will “only be consuming a modest slice of my time” while he works on AI.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963899/john-carmack-stepping-down-cto-of-oculus-work-on-ai

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,640 Valuable Player
    edited June 23
    RIP Rift.
    Goooo Quest!!
     ;) 

I may be even more enticed by the upcoming Reverb G2.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    I guess to be fair, the OP went a step further to say that Oculus PCVR is dead, not just the Rift. The hyperbole is real yo!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,499 Volunteer Moderator
    ... I think it's perhaps prudent to desire a hybrid system from Oculus a QuestRift that allows for proper tethering to PC but also portable standalone all in the one headset. 
    As I've often said before, I think this development path is the most likely for future headsets. Shall we call it the Oculus Quift?

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited June 23
    Oculus Quift?? 

Once this Hybrid comes out, we get to look forward to another 4-5 years of debates between the "rift is dead" vs "rift is alive" teams. Afterall, does a Hybrid prove that the Rift died, or lived on?

Discuss!  :p
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,640 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Oculus Quift?? 

Once this Hybrid comes out, we get to look forward to another 4-5 years of debates between the "rift is dead" vs "rift is alive" teams. Afterall, does a Hybrid prove that the Rift died, or lived on?

Depends on the name. If it ain't Rift, well it ain't Rift lol.
    Hmm perhaps Oculus could sell the Rift name off...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,526 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Zenbane said:
    Oculus Quift?? 

Depends on the name. If it ain't Rift, well it ain't Rift lol.
    Hmm perhaps Oculus could sell the Rift name off...
    The Rift name is awesome, I like it much better than Quest. Let's hope we'll see a real Rift 2 in a year or two - especially if Valve, HP and maybe MS can help push the PCVR platform. 

Oculus buying RAD seems to me like a signal of PCVR being very alive at Oculus. Lone Echo is the epitome of PCVR, not sure it would be great to buy RAD if you only believe in the good old Samsung S8 gpu ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,468 Volunteer Moderator
    Correct me if I am wrong but haven't all Go apps been made.compatible with quest (or should that be quest is made compatible with Go apps ?)
    Carmack on twitter:
    A side-goal of the Go-compatibility work was to be a back-door into the Quest ecosystem until it could more formally open up, but it got scaled down to just the small, hand-picked list instead of everything-on-the-Go-store.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,591 Valuable Player
    They won't ditch the Rift anytime soon because the brand is so strong. You don't build a VERY strong brand for over 4 years and then drop it.

I'm surprised they're letting the Go die off though because it sold pretty well. I just guess that developer support dried up after the Quest was released?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Carmack has a lot to say about this subject. His tweets have some good insight.

Also, Carmack still proudly lists his position at Oculus VR

edited June 23
    In the educational sector there is still a strong interest in VR with 3DoF performance. Many of those developers had already moved away from Go and were supporting the new alternatives that will not fill the vacuum.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    edited June 23
    GO is much more cost-friendly than the professional Quest offering. I've been using my GO to help demo Virtual Meetings; as I can attend meetings between my GO/Quest and Rift, as multiple people.

I have no plans to retire my Oculus GO anytime soon. It will continue to serve as a unit to help demonstration Enterprise applications for VR, since I can have another user in Quest and me in GO in order to give someone who doesn't own an HMD a full experience demonstration.

I sure hope another vendor picks up where GO left off. Not every Industry is going to want to spend over $1,000 per HMD just for virtual meetings and the like.
    I must wonder if the Chinese Xiaomi deal with the Mi VR had been better handled the Go may still be being supported? The media ran the story of the Chinese Go selling out in minutes, but letter the deal was abandoned (a bit of red faces for some media that ran the original line).

All that aside, I am sure the Quest 2.0 will be a much better alternative to a 3DoF system using GearVR leverage. Though for most Enterprise, they have to move onto hardware that is officially supported, rather than use out of passion.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **