New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Paper Beast - new game by the maker of Another World, awesome demo available

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,567 Valuable Player
edited June 24 in Games and Apps
At first this game looked rather ... weird ... but I'm starting to think this could be a great game and concept:

The game is right now promoted in the "Coming Soon and Pre-Order" section of the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/1895750390540682/#/?_k=kh6chx

Seems Steam is slightly ahead - if you can't wait, download a free demo here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1232570/Paper_Beast/

System requirements are quite low:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 11

More info about the game which should launch this summer:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/paper-beast-vr-steam-summer/

Some shots:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,567 Valuable Player
    edited June 24
    The demo is really awesome, I felt quite present on some alien planet. Graphics are simplistic, but probably should not be underestimated, many (bigger) lifeforms have a lot of polys. I might even go as far as stating I felt much more on an alien planet than I ever did in No Man's Sky, lol (but these are very different games, I'm comparing apples to oranges)

Performance was great too - I used res 200% with the Index in 90 Hz, rarely got below 90 fps. This game looks great using lcd hmds, but it was also originally made for PSVR. 
    I'm convinced performance and image quality will be awesome with the Rifts. Do try the demo, it's free and a 1.2GB download.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 24
    Btw, forgot to mention that the game offers full locomotion and smooth turning (and teleport or snap turning) - and you can directly interact with the alien lifeforms. Not sure all the beasts look like made of paper, lol - they look more like some strange creatures from a planet very far from Earth...

The demo also shows nice dynamic shadows. According to the devs the game's requirements are way beyond what the weak Quest gpu can handle, they do not expect a Quest version of the game.

edited June 24
    Seems like my Spider Sense wasn't wrong - this really is like visiting a strange new alien world. The game is made by Éric Chahi - and maybe you do not remember that name, but some may remember some of his other games, for example:

Future Wars (1989, Amiga, PC):

Another World (1990, Amiga, PC):

Heart of Darkness (1998, PC, PS1):

From Dust (2011, PC, PS3, XBox 360):

- and now you get (PCVR, PSVR):

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    Oh I loved another world, except the no save GRRRRRRRRRRRRAAHAHAHahahahahahhahahh

I'll have to check this out.
    edited June 25
    Oh I loved another world, except the no save GRRRRRRRRRRRRAAHAHAHahahahahahhahahh

I'll have to check this out.

I'm pretty sure I finished Another World back then - but it's 30 years ago, my memory isn't what it used to be :D I did complete Future Wars, to this day I still consider it one of the best adventure (point'n click) games. Much like Space Quest 2 <3 (although SQ2 wasn't point'n click, not sure that game even had mouse support, lol)

A full-blown Another World VR game with Alyx graphics - or Outcast VR - would be much more of a dream come true, but Paper Beast (based on the demo) is really impressive. Feels like some kind of open-world "alien zoo" simulator - with hidden adventure elements (where you interact to push the story forward, like when you remove some strings from that giant dino-like creature). 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    My mother remembers it well, mainly the swearing. :)  
    The devs just told me that the full game on Steam will launch with native Oculus driver support - but you'll also be able to buy the game in the Oculus Store.

• MushroomiesMushroomies Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    I put it in my wish list, Did you know you can feed those little creatures little balls of crumbled paper? They eat it, How cool is that B)
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    I remember playing Another world on amiga or dos. It had strange graphics for the time. First game looking like that for me actually. It wasnt sprites, but something else.