New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Paper Beast - new game by the maker of Another World, full game and awesome demo now available!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,967 Valuable Player
edited July 24 in Games and Apps
At first this game looked rather ... weird ... but I'm starting to think this could be a great game and concept:

The game is right now promoted in the "Coming Soon and Pre-Order" section of the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/1895750390540682/#/?_k=kh6chx

Seems Steam is slightly ahead - if you can't wait, download a free demo here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1232570/Paper_Beast/

System requirements are quite low:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 11

More info about the game which should launch this summer:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/paper-beast-vr-steam-summer/

Some shots:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,967 Valuable Player
    edited June 24
    The demo is really awesome, I felt quite present on some alien planet. Graphics are simplistic, but probably should not be underestimated, many (bigger) lifeforms have a lot of polys. I might even go as far as stating I felt much more on an alien planet than I ever did in No Man's Sky, lol (but these are very different games, I'm comparing apples to oranges)

Performance was great too - I used res 200% with the Index in 90 Hz, rarely got below 90 fps. This game looks great using lcd hmds, but it was also originally made for PSVR. 
    I'm convinced performance and image quality will be awesome with the Rifts. Do try the demo, it's free and a 1.2GB download.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 24
    Btw, forgot to mention that the game offers full locomotion and smooth turning (and teleport or snap turning) - and you can directly interact with the alien lifeforms. Not sure all the beasts look like made of paper, lol - they look more like some strange creatures from a planet very far from Earth...

The demo also shows nice dynamic shadows. According to the devs the game's requirements are way beyond what the weak Quest gpu can handle, they do not expect a Quest version of the game.

edited June 24
    Seems like my Spider Sense wasn't wrong - this really is like visiting a strange new alien world. The game is made by Éric Chahi - and maybe you do not remember that name, but some may remember some of his other games, for example:

Future Wars (1989, Amiga, PC):

Another World (1990, Amiga, PC):

Heart of Darkness (1998, PC, PS1):

From Dust (2011, PC, PS3, XBox 360):

- and now you get (PCVR, PSVR):

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,452 Valuable Player
    Oh I loved another world, except the no save GRRRRRRRRRRRRAAHAHAHahahahahahhahahh

I'll have to check this out.
    edited June 25
    Oh I loved another world, except the no save GRRRRRRRRRRRRAAHAHAHahahahahahhahahh

I'll have to check this out.

I'm pretty sure I finished Another World back then - but it's 30 years ago, my memory isn't what it used to be :D I did complete Future Wars, to this day I still consider it one of the best adventure (point'n click) games. Much like Space Quest 2 <3 (although SQ2 wasn't point'n click, not sure that game even had mouse support, lol)

A full-blown Another World VR game with Alyx graphics - or Outcast VR - would be much more of a dream come true, but Paper Beast (based on the demo) is really impressive. Feels like some kind of open-world "alien zoo" simulator - with hidden adventure elements (where you interact to push the story forward, like when you remove some strings from that giant dino-like creature). 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,452 Valuable Player
    My mother remembers it well, mainly the swearing. :)  
    The devs just told me that the full game on Steam will launch with native Oculus driver support - but you'll also be able to buy the game in the Oculus Store.

• MushroomiesMushroomies Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    I put it in my wish list, Did you know you can feed those little creatures little balls of crumbled paper? They eat it, How cool is that B)
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 225
    Nexus 6
    I remember playing Another world on amiga or dos. It had strange graphics for the time. First game looking like that for me actually. It wasnt sprites, but something else.
    edited July 15
    Seems we've got a lot of news today - about Quest 2 and the new update to Saints and Sinners - but personally the greatest news today is the announcement that Paper Beast will arrive July 24:

Pixel Reef today announced that Paper Beast is coming to PC VR headsets on July 24th, 2020. This will include release on Steam, the Oculus Store for Rift, and Viveport.
    https://www.roadtovr.com/paper-beast-pc-release-date-steam-vr-oculus/

Another World was one of my favorite Amiga games, and the Paper Beast demo was very impressive - Paper Beast is by far the VR game I anticipate most this summer (unless Lone Echo 2 suddenly arrives, lol). Note that I think some animations in-game are done at 30 fps, but that does not mean the game isn't performing at 90 fps. 

edited July 24
    Whoa - the game is already out - I thought it would be 10 AM PST, but here it is - just $20 or close:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1232570/Paper_Beast/

I hope the PCVR version will be much better than the PSVR version.

Some PSVR reviews:

PAPER BEAST: VERDICT - 5/5

- Reviewed on PlayStation VR

Whilst a little tricky at times, Paper Beast is an experience every PSVR owner should play at some point as it is quite simply a one-of-a-kind experience.

Pixel Reef and Eric Chahi create a gorgeous ecosystem where animals, plants, natural resources, and the elements all work harmoniously to keep one another alive.

All of this is done with incredibly complex and beautiful paper creatures that you will marvel at as they walk on by you in the dry deserts and cold tundras.

And, when the simulation you are in is over, you might come away valuing the life on Earth in reality, just a little bit more.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/paper-beast-review-one-kind-21738352

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/03/30/paper-beast-review/

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,993 Valuable Player
    Nice, will pick this up.
    edited July 24
    My humble review from Steam  o:)

This is not a simulation - this is Another World if there ever was one. This game is 10/10 and you could say Alyx-class entertainment. But this isn't just entertainment, this is VR art. A it's a celebration of life. You do have some God-like abilities, but mainly to facilitate events. Not sure if you can die - I don't think you can (at least I have not done so), and the story part of this experience may be seen as some sort of adventure game unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
    This may be one of the first (or best) VR games where you truly transform (part of) landscapes - and therefore polygon levels seem very high. Texture quality is great, not 4K-ish like Boneworks, Alyx and Room VR, but you usually don't get that close to the in-game animals. When you do, I was still amazed by the texture quality. Sound is awesome using Index speakers, but - maybe - most of all I enjoyed the in-game shadows. Shadows are incredibly detailed, not sure even Lone Echo or Alyx did that better.
    Using Index, I'm forcing res 200% and the best possible image quality, still the game performs at a close to perfect 90 fps - using a heavily oc'ed GTX 1080 and i7 7700K (16GB 3200 Mhz). That is, I mostly got 90 fps, it dips here and there, but it's not a problem. In short, performance, visuals and story content are amazing. If this experience does not blow you away, maybe not much will in life ;-) I'm thankful to the devs for creating this experience - and no, I don't know the devs and I paid the full price for this game.

edited July 24
    pyroth309 said:
    Nice, will pick this up.

My orbuculum tells me you already did - looking forward to hear if it works great on the O+ :smile:

Oculus not in stock  Oculus

edited July 24
    In case some think, "why should I care about Paper Beast?" - then of course this thread may contain a few clues - and it's one of the few upcoming games which Oculus has promoted for long. Oculus usually only does that for the potentially best and most promising VR games - so Paper Beast is by far not the usual small indie VR release:

I hope the game will be available in the Oculus Store 10 AM PST:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/3084782771571768/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_3084782771571768_SKYLINEWEB_1895750390540682%3D%3D43YtxVZHljFy0EGXf

RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Nice, will pick this up.

My orbuculum tells me you already did - looking forward to hear if it works great on the O+ :smile:

Oculus not in stock  Oculus

Stop stalking me. :D
    edited July 24
    I got first dips!  B) My review is the first on Steam! This is so big I gotta sit down, never thought I'd get the honor - this is bigger than life!  :D

Posted on Reddit too - this is becoming hard work, I'll bill the devs! ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/hx4g89/the_beast_has_arrived_awesome_vr_experience_game/

The game is now available in the Oculus Store for $30. But it's only $20 on Steam and then you additionally get 10% off the first week... Strange with this price difference...

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,744 Valuable Player
    This missed my radar! Thanks for the bump. Seems like a good VR game that I can enjoy with the family. Purchasing it asap.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Note that the Steam version starts SteamVR when I try to start the game using CV1 in Oculus Home - I've asked the devs how to activate the native Oculus drivers when using the Steam version.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,445 Valuable Player
    This just came out today at VivePort and it's included with my Infinity sub.  I'll be giving it a go with my Rift cv1, Vive Pro, and Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop later today and will report back.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

I'm starting to think that games first made for PSVR, like Moss and Trover, isn't a bad thing - but maybe more a sign of excellence, lol. Like @snowdog wrote, it's very expensive to develop games for the PS4, so small indie devs might not have a chance - or dare to take it. 

Paper Beast was originally made for PSVR, thus devs had the funds to do that - and had the guts to take the financial risk. Paper Beast was made by indie developers - by it seems more than one dude worked on the game ;) The devs behind the game are seen here - I can count 13 persons:

Eric Chahi is to the far left. 

According to one dev, the game took 4½ years to make - quote from Steam:

I wrote the game, I spent 4 years and a half of my life making it

Another great thing - often when I mention issues, devs are unaware, maybe because they never tested their game on many hmds - and maybe some devs don't have the funds to buy expensive hmds. But the devs behind Paper Beast actually tested the game using the Index and even tested very high levels of super sampling:

The final game will expose graphics presets so powerful machines will be able to run the game even better.
    I do not have any issue with super sampling as long as the setting in Steam VR is done before starting the application. Changing the super sampling at runtime leads to wrong GPU buffers size and requires a game restart. I work here with a Valve Index @150% without any issue, I even tried 200% and did not had any problem with it.

The game will indeed crash when changing SteamVR res when the game is running - so do it before you start the game. Being made for PSVR (=lcd hmd) and seeing that the devs used the Index, this game does seem thoroughly designed for lcd hmds. It looks awesome using the Index - haven't gotten the CV1 to work with the Steam version yet so I can't compare (dev says I should launch the game from inside Steam and then select Oculus for launch option, I'll try that later). 

edited July 25
    More reviews from Steam - note I did not only select positive review, but so far there aren't any negative reviews ;)

I am sad to not see more players have engaged with this wonderful world.
    This is one of the best VR Titles out yet.
    This game is beautifully designed. It takes you on a Dali-sequel safari through desert lands where you interact with different animals who you enlist to help you move along the journey. The game is a light puzzler with huge payoffs when you complete a section. One in particular took my breath away and left me with a 5 minute sense of wonder. The game starts off a little slow and there are no instructions. But once you figure out how to explore and experiment, it starts making sense. This is a unique experience that you can not experience anywhere else except in VR.
    Wow. Just... wow.

I finished my first play-through and I'm incredibly impressed and moved by this game. The most beautiful thing I have experienced in VR to date, and it literally brought me to tears at one point. I can't wait to go through it again to get all the achievements and unlocks I missed the first time around. Definitely a world I will be returning to for both the story and the sandbox mode.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I highly suggest at least giving the demo a try. If that small slice intrigues you the way it intrigued me then consider making the purchase!

This is going on my list of must play VR titles for when friends need recommendations. I look forward to seeing more from these developers in the future. Really great stuff here that makes owning a Virtual Reality headset worthwhile.

Pros:
    -Smooth Locomotion and turning options
    -Awesome physics simulations
    -Gorgeous yet simplistic visuals
    -Incredible soundtrack and audio design
    -Immersion that was off the charts for me
    -Post story content/incentive to replay chapters
    -Loveable Paper Beasts

Cons:
    -I didn't want the story to end so soon

I absolutely love this game! It's a Masterpiece.
    I do not write many reviews but I felt compelled to write one for this game. This is a truly breathtaking experience and is very well created, it looks and feels great in VR and of the many VR titles I have played over the years this is one of the memorable ones.

The story mode is fantastic, a collection of interactive set pieces that have some of the most strange and wonderful visual art I have experienced in VR. The addition of a sandbox mode that unlocks more content to use as you progress through the main story really makes this title worth the asking price and a title that I recommend all VR enthusiasts to try.

Two thumbs up
    This is the first time that a vr game almost makes me cry for his beauty and unique sensitivity. You really care for this beasts, and makes you forget the real world for a while. You become a tourist, a savior, and a friend. It's incredible.

- and one from Reddit:

Just been playing this tonight. Really is something special. The way the animals, err, BEASTS move is just so good. And that opening sequence really caught me off guard! I wish the devs were marketing this differently on Steam. You go look at their store page and the description is jumping between talking about how its an adventure, a sandbox, a zoo keeper simulator, etc. I wouldn't have tried it if I wasn't getting it included with my Viveport Infinity sub, because I was so meh about the pitch. But I'm glad I did try it! Looking forward to going in and finishing!

RuneSR2 said:
    The game is now available in the Oculus Store for $30. But it's only $20 on Steam and then you additionally get 10% off the first week... Strange with this price difference...
    The $30 in the Oculus Store has been fixed - now it's $19.99 like Steam - but without the 10% off you get on Steam (until July 31). 

edited July 27
    Just to show the awesome dynamic shadows in the game - especially when so many devs seem to remove shadows from their VR games for performance reasons. Paper Beast shows how it's done - while still maintaining awesome performance:

If we move a little closer, you can see the fine textures on the bones of the beast:

Again, it's not Alyx or Boneworks class of textures - but it not far from it either. Some textures on the "golden plants" look really amazing.

Here're more shadows:

- and the water looks awesome too:

Some say the game is way under-priced at just $20, I don't disagree. 

• saami81saami81 Posts: 225
    Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said:
    Same price now. Atleast for me. Without 10% discount ofc, but i still bought Oculus version. Downloading atm.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,445 Valuable Player
    edited July 27
    TomCgcmfc said:
    This just came out today at VivePort and it's included with my Infinity sub.  I'll be giving it a go with my Rift cv1, Vive Pro, and Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop later today and will report back.
    Ok, I've finally finished testing this out on 3x VR headsets ( Rift cv1, Vive Pro, and Quest wireless with VD).  This is with my VivePort version (free with my VivePort Infinity subscription) and should be the same as the SteamVR version.

To cut a long story short, I think my Rift cv1 is best overall.  Good graphics/textures, very good audio, comfortable ,and very good controller tracking/response.

The Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop surprisingly works very well and I would say it is almost as good.  A bit more lag though.  I'll give it second place.

My Vive Pro has the best graphics.  Unfortunately my Vive controller trackpads do not work as well for me compared to Oculus touch controllers. Still very playable.

Edit; I forgot to say, buy this one for sure imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Yea I agree, this is a pretty awesome title. I've only played a little...up until the cave bit but so far it's awesome on the O+ and plays great.
    edited July 27
    Seems some are having trouble with the sound using the Oculus version causing the game to get several 1 star ratings in the Oculus Store. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon. I've yet to see similar complaints about the Steam version.

Currently the Steam version has 50 ratings and 93% are positive.

RuneSR2 said:
    Seems some are having trouble with the sound using the Oculus version causing the game to get several 1 star ratings in the Oculus Store. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon. I've yet to see similar complaints about the Steam version.

Currently the Steam version has 50 ratings and 93% are positive.
    Note that the devs are working hard to fix the sound problem in the Oculus version - hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow:

We are awaiting for another hotfix for the sound output with the Oculus SDK and we will launch our QA pass. If everything goes fine this should be fixed tomorrow, I'll let you know when it's live. Thanks everyone for your feedbacks, your help and your patience, you're awesome :)