New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 2020 -BINGO!

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,212 Valuable Player

For those new to this, we have held a bingo game covering Oculus Connect event announcements for the last few years. The rules are simple. Guess which of the announcements, omissions and surprises take place during the event, to win Big Prizes(*)

- During Oculus Connect 7:

1. Oculus will announce a new low-price Quest [10,000-points]

2. Oculus will announce a new high-performance Quest [5,000-points]

3. Oculus will announce partnering with Microsoft (again) [20,000-points]

4. Oculus will reveal Half Dome 4 and claim it will be made [2,000-points]

5. No mention of Lenovo will be made [10,000-points]

6. No mention of Rift-S will be made [5,000-points]

7. Carmack will host his developers talk [2,000-points]

8. Oculus will announce a Rift-S upgrade [10,000-points]

9. Oculus will announce a new software acquisition [5,000-points]

10. Oculus live feed to the event will crash! [10,000-points]

Calculate your points, to see if you win!

(Please also propose additional scenarios to add to the list)

* = Big Prizes cannot be redeemed for actual items, but are only bragging rights. Adjudicators [OP] verdict is final on all decisions.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
** Second New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,406 Valuable Player
    edited June 24

BOOM!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,526 Valuable Player
    edited June 24
    Seems like I can only get 25K points :#  

I think the OP missed this one  B)  :D

11. Zuck announces he'll return to his birth planet Kepler-452b in the constellation Cygnus and says thanks for all the fish [1,000,000-points]

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,212 Valuable Player
    Some one just jumed in the same time-machine from Tenent and took this photo:

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 862
    Trinity
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,105 Valuable Player
    After seeing the tweet by Oculus I can only assume this is going to happen. If it doesn't happen then I'll have to ask what they actually mean by doubling down on improving Rift S.

• marcelofdezmarcelofdez Posts: 29 Oculus Start Member

1, 2, 5, 8, 9  ;-) 

CEO y Fundador 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,105 Valuable Player
    edited June 25

1, 2, 5, 8, 9  ;-) 

Someone agrees with me, I said it first though so I take home the prize if I win.
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 363
    Trinity
    ok...
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
    Ya'll need to copy/paste the whole thing! Making me scroll up to read the Legend...

:'( 
    RuneSR2 said:
    I think the OP missed this one  B)  :D

11. Zuck announces he'll return to his birth planet Kepler-452b in the constellation Cygnus and says thanks for all the fish [1,000,000-points]

Ah, well no - not going to include that - or one about him drinking water on stage!

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,591 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

For those new to this, we have held a bingo game covering Oculus Connect event announcements for the last few years. The rules are simple. Guess which of the announcements, omissions and surprises take place during the event, to win Big Prizes(*)

- During Oculus Connect 7:

4. Oculus will reveal Half Dome 4 and claim it will be made [2,000-points]

6. No mention of Rift-S will be made [5,000-points]

Calculate your points, to see if you win!

(Please also propose additional scenarios to add to the list)

* = Big Prizes cannot be redeemed for actual items, but are only bragging rights. Adjudicators [OP] verdict is final on all decisions.

1 but it won't be a new Quest, it'll be a price cut on the current one and will also announce a price cut for the Rift S too...both to be either $299 or $349.

Still too early for announcements of their next headsets, we won't see that until Oculus Connect 8 next year. Both headsets are selling well, were only released last year and neither one of them has competition at the same price point. Oculus will reduce the price of both to keep this going.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,526 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    snowdog said:

Still too early for announcements of their next headsets, we won't see that until Oculus Connect 8 next year. Both headsets are selling well, were only released last year and neither one of them has competition at the same price point. Oculus will reduce the price of both to keep this going.
    Agreed, in some way Rift-S feels like a smaller and much cheaper Index - both are lcd hmds, and while Rift-S has inferior sound, tracking, resolution and refresh rate, it will give you a great and affordable experience in new ultra-mersion games like Alyx, Boneworks and Room VR. If you can fix the sound, Rift-S may easily give you the most bang for your bucks the next year or more. No need for Oculus to change anything right now - unless they want to provide Quest 2 with DisplayPort, proper headphones and 90 Hz support ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,640 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:

Agreed, in some way Rift-S feels like a smaller and much cheaper Index - both are lcd hmds, and while Rift-S has inferior sound, tracking, resolution and refresh rate, it will give you a great and affordable experience in new ultra-mersion games like Alyx, Boneworks and Room VR. If you can fix the sound, Rift-S may easily give you the most bang for your bucks the next year or more. No need for Oculus to change anything right now - unless they want to provide Quest 2 with DisplayPort, proper headphones and 90 Hz support ;)
    The sound is quite easily fixed with a set of earbuds plugged into the Rift S headphone jack.
    I figured when I ordered mine upon released the sound would be crap, so I got earbuds even before the headset got here and is all I have used with it, sound is awesome.

I realize though, earbuds are not for everyone and headsets can get problematic fitting over the halo design.
    I personally prefer earbuds as it puts the sound literally in my ears and does a good job isolating outside noise.
    It just really contributes to the total immersion I get from having the headset on in a game.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    Agreed, in some way Rift-S feels like a smaller and much cheaper Index

So this is the BINGO thread, are you going to actually pick your predictions?

This is your chance! You've spent the better part of a year on the forum saying that the Rift is going bye-bye. Now's your chance to rack up some points.
     ;) 
    No personal attacks on this forum - as per the rules
    No attempts to derail the posts - as per the rules of the forum
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    Asking if someone is going to pick their Bingo values in a Bingo thread is not a personal attack nor a derail. Let's try to stay on topic.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,640 Valuable Player
    edited June 27
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:
    Agreed, in some way Rift-S feels like a smaller and much cheaper Index

So this is the BINGO thread, are you going to actually pick your predictions?

This is your chance! You've spent the better part of a year on the forum saying that the Rift is going bye-bye. Now's your chance to rack up some points.
     ;) 
    Why are you quoting text I did not write as my quote? 
    The text you quoted was written by Rune...

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    Why are you quoting text I did not write as my quote? 
    The text you quoted was written by Rune...

It was a quote error. The main point though, I was just curious if you were going to actually pick some points for predictions since you have some strong opinions about the future of Oculus VR. This is a good chance for everyone to engage in some friendly competition, and see how their predictions turn out.
     ;) 
    edited June 29
    Getting back on track this is the latest statement on when OC7 could take place:

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **